Do you recommend nitrogen over air?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The is not a personal attack but you clearly do not understand the chemistry or physics involved or the accurate use of the scientific terms that have been explained.

Oxygen is not explosive. It can, in the presence of combustible or unstable materials, precipitate a quicker and more violent reaction but Oxygen is not in itself an explosive material.

That's fine. I understand it, just perhaps doesn't read well. The document you linked has said what I have said and covers the explosion hazards I have mentioned.

But lets not get too pedantic, as it could lead to, petrol isn't explosive or volatile. This will go around in circles. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

oxygen is an oxidising agent. When there's a lot of it, it is has the capability of oxidising other things very quickly. (Bang!)
But there does have to be other things around capable of being oxidised (its a long list full of common materials)
Nitrogen doesn't go bang. Neither does air but air can support combustion because of the oxygen.

Filling tyres with damp compressed air will result in more pressure variation than filling with dry nitrogen from a cylinder, due to the moisture.
In practice for road cars it will make stuff all difference. If you are running an F1 car you might be interested in using a dried gas to make the pressure variations more predictable. The pressure will still change with temperature though, whatever you fill it with. That's just gases!

We can keep explaining it to him, we may not understand it for him 👍

My tires are approx 1 year old Michelin Sports.
These are the best tires I have ever had on my car much better than Conti's.

For now I have air in my tires.
Tires leak a little over a monthly period, once a month I check the tire pressure and inflate them.
I was thinking of replacing the air for nitrogen.
Would nitro hold the pressure better instead of air meaning no deflation over time?

I usually avoid nitrogen inflation threads because they always end up with a lot of bollocks being talked. I dipped into this one and it didn't disappoint in that respect. To me the issues are very simple.

Nitrogen inflated tyres will loose pressure over time in the same way air inflated tyres do. That means you will be inconvenienced in having to find nitrogen when they need topping up or adjusting. The adjusting of tyre pressures is just as important as inflating for pressure loss. As has been pointed out, Nitrogen is not immune from the gas laws which means from summer to winter your tyre pressure will typically fall by 0.1 bar for every drop in temperature of 8 deg C . The minor benefits of Nitrogen being dry go out the window compared to the reality of pressure changes due to temperature and also pressure increases needed for load changes. This means that you should be checking and adjusting pressures regularly, at the very least once per month and definitely before a long motorway trip. Having to do that with Nitrogen just seems a pain to me. I could go out to the garage now to check and adjust the pressures and have it all done in minutes. That wouldn't be possible with Nitrogen.

I usually avoid nitrogen inflation threads because they always end up with a lot of bollocks being talked. I dipped into this one and it didn't disappoint in that respect. To me the issues are very simple.

Nitrogen inflated tyres will loose pressure over time in the same way air inflated tyres do. That means you will be inconvenienced in having to find nitrogen when they need topping up or adjusting. The adjusting of tyre pressures is just as important as inflating for pressure loss. As has been pointed out, Nitrogen is not immune from the gas laws which means from summer to winter your tyre pressure will typically fall by 0.1 bar for every drop in temperature of 8 deg C . The minor benefits of Nitrogen being dry go out the window compared to the reality of pressure changes due to temperature and also pressure increases needed for load changes. This means that you should be checking and adjusting pressures regularly, at the very least once per month and definitely before a long motorway trip. Having to do that with Nitrogen just seems a pain to me. I could go out to the garage now to check and adjust the pressures and have it all done in minutes. That wouldn't be possible with Nitrogen.

Thanks for a good lesson explanation.
It's clearly more inconvenient if I had used nitro instead of air and have to look for a tireshop selling nitro to top up for pressure loss when I can go to nearest petrol station and top up with air.
Minimum once a month I always check my tires for loss of air or when I go for a long travel.
When it's time to check tires, the first thing you should do when you start your car in the morning, go to your nearest petrol station while your tires are still cold not when they are fully warmed up.

Tires always lose a bit of pressure due to differencies in weather changes temps fluxtuating up or down.
This is clearly normal.

I will stick with air in my tires.

There’s no drawback to using Nittogen, if you can get it easily then it’s on average a little better than air, but there’s nothing wrong with air.

Went to check my tires today.
Last time was approx 3 weeks ago.
I put 3 BAR on all four tires every time.

When I checked my tires today the scale on the pump showed 2,8 BAR on all 4 tires = 0,2 BAR less.
Each time after filling air and then removing the air-nozzle from the valve, air- nozzle deflates the tire a little bit.

This means I have no weird air leaks from my tires other than normal long term deflation over time. :thumb:

When I checked my tires today the scale on the pump showed 2,8 BAR on all 4 tires = 0,2 BAR less.
Each time after filling air and then removing the air-nozzle from the valve, air- nozzle deflates the tire a little bit.

This means I have no weird air leaks from my tires other than normal long term deflation over time. :thumb:

I wonder whether a different technique might solve your problem?

I have found that the gauges on both of my tyre pumps are inaccurate. I now inflate my tyres to somewhat over the recommended pressure, and then deflate them to the required pressure using an accurate hand held pressure gauge.

I subsequently check them using the same gauge. Experience tells me that I don't need to check the pressures of the tyres on my SL or JLR Discovery more than once every three months, and even then they often don't need topping up. Nevertheless I tend to check the pressure every 4-6 weeks.

Whether it's relevant or not I don't know, but I was taught to lubricate the thread on the valve before refitting the cap, with a smear of suitable grease. I use copper-ease, but I suggest that whatever you use you clean the threads with a paper towel every time you remove the cap, and when re-greasing ensure that no grease goes into the valve.

NJSS

Last edited:
I have found that the gauges on both of my tyre pumps are inaccurate. I now inflate my tyres to somewhat over the recommended pressure, and then deflate them to the required pressure using an accurate hand held pressure gauge.
I do this too - slightly over inflate and adjust down with an accurate gauge.

I can't go buy a handheld tire pressure gauge.
Where am I going to connect this?

I have to go to nearest petrol station to top up my tires.

I have noticed many pump nozzles are worn out from years of wear and tear use.
Petrol stations rarely replaces worn nozzles for new ones.
I went to another petrol station to top up my tires and noticed that both pumps were giving false readings on the gauge, I don't use their pumps anymore.

I use an "ATsafepro Tyre Deflator Pressure Gauge" - a Google search will indicate what on-line vendors there are in your area.

Good luck.

NJSS

I use a foot pump to top up and a calibrated gauge to reduce to the required pressure. The gauge doesn't lock on to the valve, so very easy to quickly check. Takes less than 10min to do all four tyres and on my own driveway.
I'd never trust a garage forecourt gauge.

I use an "ATsafepro Tyre Deflator Pressure Gauge" - a Google search will indicate what on-line vendors there are in your area.

Good luck.

NJSS

Oh, now I get it, you overinflate at the petrol station using their pump then connect your own device and deflate to your desired pressure.

What brand deflator pressure gauge is most accurate?

Oh, now I get it, you overinflate at the petrol station using their pump then connect your own device and deflate to your desired pressure.

What brand deflator pressure gauge is most accurate?
No need to use the air pump at a petrol station, you can use a foot pump or compressor at home.

I have one of these in my cars: EasyPump Cordless Pneumatic Pump | Bosch DIY

I use a foot pump to top up and a calibrated gauge to reduce to the required pressure. The gauge doesn't lock on to the valve, so very easy to quickly check. Takes less than 10min to do all four tyres and on my own driveway.
I'd never trust a garage forecourt gauge.
Especially now that the garages that were charging 20p to use the inflator are now charging a pound. Makes the cheap amazon 12v compressor I bought about 10 years ago for about a tenner look like great value. Its always in my boot along with the torque wrench, digital tyre gauge and rope type tyre repair kit....not needed to use a spare tyre in all that time...even after a puncture!!!

No need to use the air pump at a petrol station, you can use a foot pump or compressor at home.

I have one of these in my cars: EasyPump Cordless Pneumatic Pump | Bosch DIY

Looks like a nice and neat device.

When you charge it on your computer Bosch unit is fully loaded with air?
If you store your car for 6 months and tires (3 BAR on all 4 tires ) deflated 0,5 BAR down to 2,5 BAR and you want to inflate back to 3 BAR, can you top up with this Bosch unit without using a compressor or a foot pump?

Too bad it doesn't have a quick fit clamp for automobile air valves rather than screw on nozzle.

How much did it cost?

Last edited:
Looks like a nice and neat device.

When you charge it on your computer Bosch unit is fully loaded with air?
If you store your car for 6 months and tires (3 BAR on all 4 tires ) deflated 0,5 BAR down to 2,5 BAR and you want to inflate back to 3 BAR, can you top up with this Bosch unit without using a compressor or a foot pump?

Too bad it doesn't have a quick fit clamp for automobile air valves rather than screw on nozzle.

How much did it cost?
Yes it can easily inflate all tyres - in the way you describe - on a single charge.

You can charge it using any USB port capable for charging, eg phone charger.

It doesn’t hold any air, the compressor uses ambient air when inflating the tyre.

The screw on adapter is not a problem in practice, it takes moments.

Look up a local online retailer for pricing but here the price has been as low as £55.

Less expensive equivalents are available but these are great quality at a fair price.

Yes it can easily inflate all tyres - in the way you describe - on a single charge.

You can charge it using any USB port capable for charging, eg phone charger.

It doesn’t hold any air, the compressor uses ambient air when inflating the tyre.

The screw on adapter is not a problem in practice, it takes moments.

Look up a local online retailer for pricing but here the price has been as low as £55.

Less expensive equivalents are available but these are great quality at a fair price.

Sounds lovely and competent when the device takes free air from ambient enviroment.

I red some reviews on Amazon.
Looks like a dodgy device, I don't know?
It's quite expensive in Sweden.
Bosch are known to have some not so good quality products!

These are the customers who gave only one star for Bosch EasyPump.
One customer wrote:
This is a very bad pump, Shame on a well known brand like Bosch. I couldn't inflate one tire on a full charge. The battery go's dead so fast. I really hate it not worth the money.

Others wrote:
Avoid this pump, totally rubbish. The only reason I did not return this was to avoid the hassle.
Bought the pump for three different filling purposes: bicycles, swim rings and sup-boards. In my mind this product does not fit any of these. It takes about four (4) minutes to fill a bicycle tube from completely empty to 80% of the recommended pressure. The pump failed to reach the recommended pressure for a standard bike tube. As a comparison the same takes about 15-20 seconds with a proper manual bike pump.
The same repeated with swim rings. The air supply of this pump is so low that you can easily outrun with simply blowing and with a factor of 2-3. It took 5-10 minutes to fill a modest size swim ring.
The sup-board was a stretch to begin with so I had no high expectations. I would estimate that it would have taken about 1-2 hours to fill the sup-board with this pump.
In addition the noise from the pump was at a level that you would not want to use on a crowded beach.

THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK, tried contacting Bosch on website, youtube and Amazon but they simply won't reply.
This review is also about customer care and and aftersales which is NONE. Can't believe I trusted Bosch over an unbranded product.
Just received the product, plugged it in but there is no sign that it is charging. Been there for over an hour and still no sign of battery life.
What can I do? Is there a way how to contact seller?

Dead unexpectedly after a few uses and keeping in car. Maybe vibrations? I did not disassemble it yet, but it’s completely dead and not charging (not consume current).

Very disappointed in this product. I get approximately 10 psi pumped into one tire and the battery is flat!
I must have got a lemon as my friends one works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom