Do You Remember.....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Golden Egg , was it the poor man's Wimpey..or was it the other way around ?

The last time I saw a Golden Egg diner was many years ago, It may have been In the West Midlands ?? I was passing through. Memory a bit hazy.
I googled it, they were a chain, I just told the Mrs, she was shocked as well.

School discipline in the 70's & 80's

Primary school - cane was the primary method, but there was the odd teacher who took things a bit further.
I seen myself and others being kneed on the side of the leg and having blackboard dusters chucked at you.

Secondary education - leather straps.
I remember as clear as day, the female teachers in particular would send you to the principals office as he could really nail your hand with the strap.

B@stard was about 6 foot 3, but he used to get his heels onto the low radiator pipes to get a bit of extra height in to the swing.
The trick was to try to get as much heat into your hands as possible using the radiators on the way.

Primary school - cane was the primary method, but there was the odd teacher who took things a bit further.
I seen myself and others being kneed on the side of the leg and having blackboard dusters chucked at you.

I remember as clear as day, the female teachers in particular would send you to the principals office as he could really nail your hand with the strap.

B@stard was about 6 foot 3, but he used to get his heels onto the low radiator pipes to get a bit of extra height in to the swing.
The trick was to try to get as much heat into your hands as possible using the radiators on the way.

Aye, the good old days eh?

NOT

Aye, the good old days eh?

NOT

Yep, it was assault in another name, but did it do any actual harm?
How many who got the cane came back for seconds?
Sure, the hardcore kids looked on the cane/strap/slipper as a badge of honour and welcomed it.
I got it once and never gave any reason for a repeat performance. I learned my lesson.

Taking corporal punishment away from teachers as a form of discipline has made them a target and there is nothing they can do about it.
A big step was taken to lower respect to adults and we can see the results in the newspapers every day.

Probably for a different thread really.

Yep, it was assault in another name, but did it do any actual harm?
How many who got the cane came back for seconds?
Sure, the hardcore kids looked on the cane/strap/slipper as a badge of honour and welcomed it.
I got it once and never gave any reason for a repeat performance. I learned my lesson.

Taking corporal punishment away from teachers as a form of discipline has made them a target and there is nothing they can do about it.
A big step was taken to lower respect to adults and we can see the results in the newspapers every day.

Probably for a different thread really.

I agree the wrong thread Roger And some of what you say. However, there were too many bully egotistical teachers that took it to extreme (there were two in my school and many more than that in my Fathers). Just my opinion though.

I wish I'd known about warming the hands before being strapped.
I had three doses throughout my school life. Not something I'm proud of.

Mr Davies, our Welsh-born P.E. teacher with a cockney accent, was a real mans man and loved his rugby.
He would make us play rugger no matter what the conditions. I'll never forget my white legs and that rock hard frozen ground.

He was a well-built sportsman, which also meant he was a powerful and accurate administrator of the strap. He was never going to miss!
That said, he was my favourite teacher. He was firm but fair and wasn't afraid to give a compliment if I did well at football.

He would also cut some slack, on one occasion, perhaps by pure disbelief (and I'd like to think amusement) at my desperate reply when he heard me swear loudly in a game of football. I had told someone to FCUK OFF! As he walked towards me I said "It's a new word were using, sir - Nuck Off, honestly sir!"

I met him in a pub when I was around 25 and although and (IIRC) I called him sir or Mr Davies.
He chatted with me on level terms which was great.
I would love to meet him again to thank him for being such a great teacher and also to let him know what a great guy I thought he was.

I agree the wrong thread Roger And some of what you say. However, there were too many bully egotistical teachers that took it to extreme (there were two in my school and many more than that in my Fathers). Just my opinion though.

Spot on Ant.
Our French teacher should have been in the SS.
I'm sure school was an outlet for his temper and bullying.

Back to topic. Sorry.

I wish I'd known about warming the hands before being strapped.
I had three doses throughout my school life. Not something I'm proud of.

Mr Davies, our Welsh-born P.E. teacher with a cockney accent, was a real mans man and loved his rugby.
He would make us play rugger no matter what the conditions. I'll never forget my white legs and that rock hard frozen ground.

He was a well-built sportsman, which also meant he was a powerful and accurate administrator of the strap. He was never going to miss!
That said, he was my favourite teacher. He was firm but fair and wasn't afraid to give a compliment if I did well at football.

He would also cut some slack, on one occasion, perhaps by pure disbelief (and I'd like to think amusement) at my desperate reply when he heard me swear loudly in a game of football. I had told someone to FCUK OFF! As he walked towards me I said "It's a new word were using, sir - Nuck Off, honestly sir!"

I met him in a pub when I was around 25 and although and (IIRC) I called him sir or Mr Davies.
He chatted with me on level terms which was great.
I would love to meet him again to thank him for being such a great teacher and also to let him know what a great guy I thought he was.
We had two PE teachers at senior school who were a hybrid of yours Paul.

One was also Welsh (Teacher A) (but without the cockney accent!) who was a real rugger bugger and very very strict. No cane or strap in my day, but a well thrown ball proved effective at keeping adolescent boys in check. A thoroughly nice chap though and I still see him occasionally, in fact I went to his retirement party, 70th birthday party, etc. I still call him Sir too.

The other (Teacher B) was a proper ar5ehole, inappropriate towards girls and cruel to the boys. He was a big guy, strong and fast and delighted in going in far too hard against the younger boys when playing rugby or football. I grew quickly and could run like the wind and so I managed to give him some back on several occasions when I was still quite young, and was discretely congratulated by Teacher A. He soon backed off me, and did the same for the other boys in my class. He was a bully.

Some years later we saw Teacher B in a nightclub and he came over like he was our best friend and said “call me X” straight away (ie his first name). I told him politely what I thought of him. Not a nice man.

I seen myself and others being kneed on the side of the leg and having blackboard dusters chucked at you.......
I was a victim of this the duster was aimed at the guy behind I looked up at the wrong moment, it creased across the top of my head, I rubbed my head a few moments later and my hand came down covered in blood. Apology from the Teacher and missed the rest of the class detention. I wonder what would happen these days!

I wonder what would happen these days!

Imagine the media coverage of it.

I think out of all the heavy handed teachers, the primary school head master was the worst by far.
He was the one that would knee you in the leg, and when you were to receive "6 of the best" from him, it would always be at lunch time, in the dinner hall in front of everyone, and he would lose count, so it was usually 7 or 8.
Thankfully I only ever received that once, but once was plenty as far as I was concerned.

I also grew to understand in later life that the smell of his breath which was quite common was whiskey.
He temper was fierce too, he did do some teaching, and in his class if someone done something inappropriate, he would ask for them to own up, if they didn't own up he would sometimes cane the entire class..
Sadly it was done in alphabetical order, and with a surname beginning with B you can guess who was up first 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom