Do You Remember.....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I loved the smell of that

I think that is what prompted me to post it.

Reminds me of 40 years ago being a nipper wearing shorts on my bike outside playing in the Summer time on nice days without a care in the world - and putting my bike away in a smelly freshly-creosoted shed which smelt for ages after.

Only in later years does one learn to appreciate just how lucky one was back then...

Too right John - going out to the woods with mates to climb trees, coming home with grazed knees and muddy clothes, summer hols in teens taking off on bikes with a couple of mates, with a picnic as we were out for the day round country lanes while parents were at work, no satnav or mobile phones then, imagine the "yoof" of today being told to do that, let alone the parents of today telling their offspring to do it!

It was awful stuff to work with. Used to burn if you got it on your skin - no heath and safety back then...

It was ( and still is ) lethal stuff. There was a creosoting plant near the town I lived in at the time, and they "creosoted" all the wooden poles that were used for street lighting . It was a hot dip process, where the raw poles were dropped into huge metal vats full of hot creosote, and left "stew" until they had absorbed what was deemed enough creosote. Most of these poles can still be found even to the present day, as strong as ever, it was that effective in preserving the wood. Many's the time a kid would get into trouble at home after he / she had inadvertently leaned against a "weeping" light pole, where during hot weather, the creosote would become semi-liquid, and put stains on clothes which were very hard to remove. The plant has been closed now for many years, but even yet, so dangerous i were the chemicals that were being used there,that access is severely restricted .

Was given 5galls of creosote last week and did garden gates and shed with it, I didn't think it smelled too bad mrs, hates it says she can still smell it. Don't think it can be bought these days, carcinogenic.

Might have been mentioned before, 47 pages, anybody remember or used a Facit machine??
Not one of the more modern electric ones;) but an original manual version.1587591676794.png

Was given 5galls of creosote last week and did garden gates and shed with it, I didn't think it smelled too bad mrs, hates it says she can still smell it. Don't think it can be bought these days, carcinogenic.
Still available from tool station,

Might have been mentioned before, 47 pages, anybody remember or used a Facit machine??
Not one of the more modern electric ones;) but an original manual version.View attachment 94913
What is it? Some kind of calculator?? I’ve never seen nor heard of one.

" Do you remember ..............................."

Using what felt like 40 odd floppy disks to install or backup Windows and having a shelf full of these

download.jpg

I was 13 when i started taking apart computers and rebuilding them and spent many many nights sitting in a chair switching one floppy for the next trying to backup to what felt like an infinite number of floppy disks only to get to #8 and be filled with dread because you can't find it .............. to this day i look at a USB dangling from my keys and smile :)

I think windows 95 came on 13 floppy disks lol

..................... Many's the time a kid would get into trouble at home after he / she had inadvertently leaned against a "weeping" light pole, where during hot weather, the creosote would become semi-liquid, and put stains on clothes which were very hard to remove. .............

Ditto mostly telephone poles when I was a kid. Mother would get really annoyed as it destroyed a school shirt.

I was in Sea Scouts (on a dam ;) ) and Scouting had a massive place on one of the countries biggest dams. We'd go for camps ans would build & reapir jetties, outbuildings etc - all creosoted. Split pole (ranch style) fencing was also popular around homes in those days. Horrible stuff.

" Do you remember ..............................."

Using what felt like 40 odd floppy disks to install or backup Windows and having a shelf full of these

View attachment 94919

I was 13 when i started taking apart computers and rebuilding them and spent many many nights sitting in a chair switching one floppy for the next trying to backup to what felt like an infinite number of floppy disks only to get to #8 and be filled with dread because you can't find it .............. to this day i look at a USB dangling from my keys and smile :)

I think windows 95 came on 13 floppy disks lol

Yep MS Windows just before CD-Roms were launched - about 10 of the 3.5" so called stiffys and 1/2 a day to load Windows.

I remember The Lotus Suite being on 27 3.5" floppies, Ami Pro was the Word Processor, I still use the Lotus Organiser from way back then, a useful little program, forgotten the name of the database and presentation programs though.

Not one of the more modern electric ones;) but an original manual version.View attachment 94913
I never used one but our accountant was like greased lighting on it.

I remember The Lotus Suite being on 27 3.5" floppies, Ami Pro was the Word Processor, I still use the Lotus Organiser from way back then, a useful little program, forgotten the name of the database and presentation programs though.

You'll remember Dbase III and VisiCalc.

I once went to a seminar where a guy (worked for UNISYS) had developed a voice activated version of Lotus 123 - he was a victim of thalidomide and had stubby little arms so was motivated to develop the software. WIt was amazing but in those days needed a massive computer (early 80s when a 386 pc was a big deal).

I vaguely remember DataEase for Windows as well and dial up BBS bulletin boards, the forerunners of web forums.

My mother (in the 60s) was Managing Director od a company that used these machines. The "comptometer" was the forerunner of the electronic calculator and they were eventually put out of business by the advent of the PC. IIRC they used all 10 digits while pushing buttons repeatedly to do calculations.

Back then, it was quite a big deal to be a female MD. She had a Triumph 2000 as a company car and was the envy of many men in those days. She was quite a woman, also owned an Austin Healy Sprite and Mini-Cooper S at various times.

imgp6547.jpg

I vaguely remember DataEase for Windows as well and dial up BBS bulletin boards, the forerunners of web forums.

IIRC

DBASE I, II & III was in the pre windows days running on MS-DOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom