Do You Remember.....................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The older one will know what you are talking about, the younger one will just stare at you until you order something they recognise.
It's a shame that the old grunters are not training the young ones up really isn't it?

They should serve you with a half pint glass of bitter, a bottle of light ale and a pint pot.
Thats what I hear, they can serve you the two as separate things and you can mix them yourself. Also if you want a triple shot of measured liquor they should serve you a double in one glass and a single in the other, but not all 3 in the same glass. Or at least thats how it used to be.

Thats what I hear, they can serve you the two as separate things and you can mix them yourself. Also if you want a triple shot of measured liquor they should serve you a double in one glass and a single in the other, but not all 3 in the same glass. Or at least thats how it used to be.
Never ever heard of mixed drinks being against weights and measures? Not sure where that came from, same as not having more than two shots in one glass?

The nail heads of which became razor sharp and exposed if you walked on the road in them.

My ex FIL played for Blackburn (pre it being a professional sport) as a striker and he used to tell us how he sharpened his studs before some games. Also showed us his legs which were scarred like you would not believe!

Also said that at half-time the boot boy would come on with a ready lit cigarette!

School discipline in the 70's & 80's

Primary school - cane was the primary method, but there was the odd teacher who took things a bit further.
I seen myself and others being kneed on the side of the leg and having blackboard dusters chucked at you.

Secondary education - leather straps.
I remember as clear as day, the female teachers in particular would send you to the principals office as he could really nail your hand with the strap.

B@stard was about 6 foot 3, but he used to get his heels onto the low radiator pipes to get a bit of extra height in to the swing.
The trick was to try to get as much heat into your hands as possible using the radiators on the way.
I clearly recall some male teachers especially enjoying humiliating boys in front of girl classmates (mixed school), they could become quite brutal. There was also psychological bullying.
I went to a school reunion about 20 years ago and one or two of the perpetrators were there. They were doddering old men then but I still felt like kicking them in the b@lls.

10 years after leaving school I found myself in the headmaster's office doing business with him.

He didn't realise who I was until the deal was done and I revealed myself as an ex pupil, he immediately changed to 'headmaster' mode and remembered where I lived and the fact that I was indeed a spiv, waster and that there was still a sale on spines at Woolworth should I want to get myself one.

He also demanded that I remember my maths teacher, I genuinely couldn't, he insisted that I must remember such a nasty piece of work, wanting to make my escape by now I admitted that I did remember the nasty piece to which he responded 'I thought that you may recall my wife'.

Never ever heard of mixed drinks being against weights and measures? Not sure where that came from, same as not having more than two shots in one glass?
Maybe it's one of those 'urban myths ' things . I will ask my mate when I see her next , she is a licencee.

Just to satisfy my inquisitive mind, would the older server be most likely to get mixing or the younger one?
The younger mixer would be saying 'Whuuut?'

Maybe it's one of those 'urban myths ' things . I will ask my mate when I see her next , she is a licencee.
From memory, draught beers can be sold in 1/2 pints, 1/3 pints or multiples thereof so mixing two drinks is ok as long as they are both 1/2 pints, similarly spirits are sold in 25ml or multiples thereof, with no mention of how many in one glass. Things do change so I may be wrong.....

10 years after leaving school I found myself in the headmaster's office doing business with him.

He didn't realise who I was until the deal was done and I revealed myself as an ex pupil, he immediately changed to 'headmaster' mode and remembered where I lived and the fact that I was indeed a spiv, waster and that there was still a sale on spines at Woolworth should I want to get myself one.

He also demanded that I remember my maths teacher, I genuinely couldn't, he insisted that I must remember such a nasty piece of work, wanting to make my escape by now I admitted that I did remember the nasty piece to which he responded 'I thought that you may recall my wife'.
Feel free to use full-stops.

I thought the whole idea of a Light n Bitter was that you got a "Sporting Half" (another thing we don't hear so much of) in a pint glass, and then a bottle of Light Ale which would be AT LEAST a half.

That way, punters got a "bit" more than a pint.

Of course, the pubs got round that by making bottled beer more expensive (even though they kept the bottle).

143003434-115351805.png

The Pirelli calendar. Every garage had one on the wall. And they became more daring every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom