Do you remember...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LESTAYLOR

Car
W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
When petrol was 25p a GALLON and we had 5-star. when Cod and Chips cost 1'6d seven and a half pence. :D

I'll never forget 5 star - when I was about 17 I had a part time job at a petrol station, I had the island with the 5 star pump (in the days when you did not put the petrol in yourself, you were served!!) so I was always getting the Jags with 2 empty tanks - and no lock or blow back nozzle on the pump so I had to stand there holding this freezing cold pump handle for ages.

Mind you, this was also the time of Minis and Mini skirts, so occasionally a lot of leg was on display!

And You could go to the pictures, and have a fish & chip supper for 2/6d each, I'm probably older than the OP:thumb:, I bought petrol for 4/6p a gallon for my first motorbike.:):bannana:

Nope, no idea..... I do remember 2* and 4* fuel but that was from sitting in the car when Mum re-fueled the car! :)

lol

Kate

How about the "ABC Minors"

"And every Saturday all line up, to see the films we like to shout about with glee"

Was it about 1/3d in?
For the youthier on the forum. One chain of moving picture houses was call the ABC Cinemas. On a Saturday morning there were films and cartoons for children. No Dom and **** Richard then.

Last edited:
I got my first motorbike in early February 1971. 2 gallons, 9 shillings. A fortnight later, 2 gallons, 50p

I was so shocked, I bought a bigger bike (BSA A7 SS). For the next year, one leg was twice the size of the other!

I got my first motorbike in early February 1971. 2 gallons, 9 shillings. A fortnight later, 2 gallons, 50p

I was so shocked, I bought a bigger bike (BSA A7 SS). For the next year, one leg was twice the size of the other!

So the price had risen more than 10% and you bought a bigger bike. Why?

SS was a nice one, still miss my old A10

So the price had risen more than 10% and you bought a bigger bike. Why?

A pay rise, and a desire for something that did more than 55mph, and sounded less like a flatulent farm animal:) Plus we were all going to die in 10 years as the next ice age was on its way....

St Ivel ice cream. No idea what was in it, but it had an other-worldly taste that I was more-or-less addicted to for a while, many years ago.

Not at all

Hmmm - I must be getting old - Petrol at 3 shillings and 4 pence, fish 8d and chips 2d so change out of a shilling. Beer, when I started drinking was 1/10 a pint - 9p to you young 'uns. First wage, mind you, was £15 a week (women got £12 for the same work...).

For the smokers in the club, do you remember..Players No6 & No10, Players Weights, Embassy Regal, Dunhill Kingsize, More, John Players Special, Peter Styvecent, Consulate, Passing Cloud, Benson and Hedges and many others I have forgotten :ban: I am a reformed smoker:thumb:

I remember the first time I filled my car up, sometime around 74/75 I think. I'd always bought 1 or 2 gallons at a time up to then. For the younger among you it was actualy sold in gallons back then.
Total cost £2-50p

I gave the girl a fiver and she counted my change into my hand saying "that's 50, and 3 is £5" :confused:

I looked at my hand and then at her then back at my hand and she said "That's not right is it ?" and then went back in the till, took my fiver out and gave it to me saying "I'm sorry, and 5 is £10 :wallbash:

That was the first time I ever smoked my tyres.

I'm not quite old enough to remember using the pre decimal currency but I do remember my dad playing hell with my older brother for using his Zephyr mk4 and bringing it back with less fuel than it had to start with and ranting "bloody petrols nearly a pound a gallon now so bloody fill it next time!!"

Petrol first went over the £1 per gallon in 1979 when Thatcher put it up in her first budget following election victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom