Do you remember...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For the smokers in the club, do you remember..Players No6 & No10, Players Weights, Embassy Regal, Dunhill Kingsize, More, John Players Special, Peter Styvecent, Consulate, Passing Cloud, Benson and Hedges and many others I have forgotten :ban: I am a reformed smoker:thumb:

Carlton, Capston, Sobranie Cocktail Cigarettes, (girlfriend at the time used to buy them). Being able to buy individual cigarettes. (Players No6) We/I used to do that when I was a broke teenager)

Happily like you, I am too a reformed smoker, I gave up six years ago. :thumb: From the proceeds I bought a Jaccuzi hot tub for the garden and now enjoy the sense of taste, smell and general well being and collectively with my other half based on todays prices nearly £6000 a year better off.:eek:
How do todays kids afford it :dk:

Attachments

• deck72dpi.jpg
    deck72dpi.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 46
OK, heres one to try your memory
Planet (synthetic) cigarettes from Courtaulds.

Complete and utter failure.

OK, heres one to try your memory
Planet (synthetic) cigarettes from Courtaulds.

Complete and utter failure.

Hmmn yeah that does ring a fairly silent bell, at the time I think we thought they were pointless, kinda like decaff coffee, why?:dk:

Quadraphonic 8 track? that would be the Radiomobile 108SR - I fitted loads of them. I still remember the test tape that came with them.
FF & play on a cassette player - that is because the motor ran at FF all the time, but the pinch wheels regulated the actual play speed. As you say, to facility for reverse.
The Esso tiger in your tank stickers - you could also get the tiger tail that stuck out of the filler cap

You sound like a bit of an expert so you'll remember the Philips 'Turnolock' system for radio presets. I remember saving unsuccessfully for one but now wonder in what way this was an improvement on separate presets. You're dead right about the 8-track being a Radiomobile (standard fit on contemporary Rolls Royces if I remember correctly). I screwed speaker pods to the front doors of my Zodiac and managed to stop passengers kicking them off, ooh . . . 4 or 5 times. I just remembered graphic equaliser/boosters and trying in vain to get some bass out of these little plastic pods (talk of baffles would have lived up to their name in those days). I got plenty of buzzing but never truly appreciated that 30w per channel into 5w paper speakers WILL end in tears. The flashing LEDs were ample compensation.

To this day I thought they were just being mean denying us rewind buttons on cassette players so thanks for clearing up that there was a technical reason.

Last edited:
"You're never alone with a STRAND"

I can remember petrol at 5/- a gallon, a single was 6/8, LP's were £1-5-0 you could get 4 black jacks for a penny or 4 mojos or fruit salads, and Trapper John, ABC Saturday morning was called the tanner rush. Can anyone remember the milk vending machines, they sold milkshakes, orange drink and plain milk. I can also remember the cigarette machines which not only dispenced the ciggies, but also the change selotaped to the packets:eek:

And you smokers, as I was then, how about Disque Bleu or liquorice papers and pipe tobacco roll ups, and I am still alive:rock:

I remember the Philips turnolock! Single button on the right (with quite a deep press iirc) to sequence you through the selected stations, the selections on the wavebands were different colours.
as you say no real improvement on the traditional selectors.

I always preferred Radiomobile (a division of Smiths) as I did a radio fitting course there (just off Staples corner I think) in 1972 or 73

Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

Put a tiger in your tank...do you remember the tiger tails people used to tie to their petrol fillers??

Attachments

• esso.jpg
    esso.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Nope. But everytime I read about it here I think 'Molotov Cocktail'!

You have a point there. If we did have a tiger tail sticking out of our filler caps today, some of our less respectful chums would see the tail as some sort of wick... :crazy:

I also remember the tiger tails ; ' the Esso sign means happy motoring ' song and others .

The advertising then was about petrol which made your car go faster : remember BP ZOOM , besides Tiger in your tank etc ? No doubt 'Tiger Tokens' evolved from that same tiger .

Petrol was around 50p per gallon of five star when I started driving , I remember it going up to that amid a furore , and I learned to drive on a W115 with column change gears and foot operated dipswitch - just like the Fintail we had before it and the Ponton I still have today. The right hand handbrake introduced on the W115 carried on through the W123 and into the W126 before being supplanted by the stupid foot pedal .

Last edited:
When petrol was 25p a GALLON and we had 5-star. when Cod and Chips cost 1'6d seven and a half pence. :D

sorry no, but cant wait to say to my kids "we used to have ipods" and them say "durr thats so old fashioned"!;)

When I was teaching last year. I had a group of 14-16 year olds. out of the 21 that were in the group, only two had ever owned or played with a train set, however most of them were on their 3rd mobile phone. :eek:

Many students have never heard of Meccano either

Last edited:
My two year old already has three train sets : two here ( one of those push along wooden ones and a plastic tracked battery one ) plus one at his grandparents ! He will get a 'proper' one when he is old enough , as well as Scalextrix , of course I'll have to 'supervise' :D

He has 'Mega Blocks' but still a bit young for Lego or Meccano .

I can remember getting a lift to school in a Ford Consul. It had vacuum windscreen wipers... frenzied flapping on the over run to stop as the throttle opened.
eek.gif

who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking château de chasselas, eh?
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

cups? You used cups????

I can remember getting a lift to school in a Ford Consul. It had vacuum windscreen wipers... frenzied flapping on the over run to stop as the throttle opened.
eek.gif

My dad had a Consul Cortina (ie Cortina Mk I), then a Consul and a Vauxhall Cresta PA. The last two each had a flat shiny vinyl bench front seat and if they had seat belts at all they will have been of the type that you just left lying tangled all over the seat. What with the epic lean those cars displayed while cornering, how did he not end up in the passenger seat when turning right? The Cresta had 'clap hands' wipers which still strikes me as better than having to engineer different systems for RHD and LHD (or Mercs complex squared off arc in the W124).

some of us still think in pre-decimal currency - I still can't visualise how long a metres is, without thinking 'it's just over a yard' - I measure in feet and inches,

Andy
(58 - going on 30)

I said I dont remember using pre decimal, doesnt mean it wasnt around in my younger days! I 'm the same as you with measurements, The firm I served my time with was 'old school'. Everything fabricated was to a sixteenth and everything machined was to the thou. If I have to measure anything accurately now its measured in imperial and then converted to metric, I find it easier!

While i'm on a roll, I remember my brothers first car ( Austin A30 I think) with semiphor indicators which came out of the B pillars. My mk1 capri with a dynamo where the indicators would stick on until I revved it, and the washer bulb on the floor and front discs but no servo! But most of all my dads old zephyr mk2 with an external sunvisor which took the whole family everywhere and was guaranteed to breakdown regularly, with 4 kids and a labrador on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom