do you store your CDs on your pc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Music companies seem to be in some desperate situations to regain their royalties., but this is just OTT.

Whooaaahh! I rip all my CDs to a hard drive. That is outrageous behaviour by Sony. I really hope they have a class-action lawsuit coming their way.

One things for sure, I won't be buying any Sony/BMG CDs from now on, or any that have copy protection and I'll be letting the artist/agent know.

Muppets ... I'll look for a torrent of the CD instead ;)

I hope they get in some serious bother for that. Not good :mad:

Picked up by the BBC

BBC said:
XCP only allows three copies of an album to be made and only allows the CD to be listened to on a computer via a proprietary media player. The hidden files are installed alongside the media player.
I have my own media player ... don't want some crappy player on my system. What happens when Mute, Virgin, EMI, et al decide they want their own media players as well?

I really, really, really hope that Sony/BMG get a massive fine for this and the ridiculous lengths they're going to. I know piracy is a problem, but techniques like these are easily worked around .. as Sony will find out.

Didos Cd was one that used some awful protection that prompted you to install a media player - again, no mention that it was making changes to your system but at leats you could ignore it.

Mind you it didn't play on all Pcs either - one of our machines (ironically with all sony drives) only sees one track on the album:(

This latest item is kind of old news now and you can rest assured they'll be trying something else to stop piracy :)

Andy
Andy

ooh, dido...

didn't work on my car's cd changer!!! I mailed the makers, (I think it was BMG, vut can't remember), and they offered to replace it with a "normal" cd-rom version of it :) Mailed it to them, and promptly was returned a working cd.

Definetly not happy that I had to spend money to send it to them and mail them just to get it working.

I might recommend sending a letter of complaint every time this happens, but in reality, I've found its just a pain. Really the only thing one can do is disable auto-run and hope for the best. (Free CD Ripper seems to work a treat most of the time)...

Alternatively, the penguin doesn't have any problems with root kits nor trojans... Sony aren't advanced enough to harm the penguins....

Michele

So will Itunes on a PC not allow you to copy the music to youir ipod either?

[The Register]

Sony President said:
"Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" he huffed.
Article said:
All the patch does is force XP to issue Windows commands (eg, "net stop") that disable the driver. Because XP is a multithreaded OS, this is a brute force procedure that can cause the system to crash if resources are in contention.

Russinovich also notes that the Sony DRM software still contains vulnerabilities that expose a system to a potential blue screen of death. Instead of exiting gracefully and returning standard Windows system errors, the DRM exits disgracefully.
Interesting point of view from Sony :mad: Think that "most people" will care when they have to format and reinstall Windows after playing a Sony/BMG CD ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom