Do you use the handbrakeon an auto?

Do you use the handbrake on an automatic?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I have had a few automatics and never used the handbrake. Never occured to me to question if it were safe!

So I got to wondering.....

Only if I park on a steep hill, put car into N or P when at lights or static queue.

Never have done on any of my 6 autos

SBC makes it doubly redundant

jdrrco said:
Never have done on any of my 6 autos

SBC makes it doubly redundant

SBC means?

ttfn!
:bannana:

Only on a steep hill.

I don't, if its in Park its not going anywhere....

Or am I wrong?

Never ever use it on any of the autos (all Mercs) that I have ever owned.

In fact, I always get caught out when pulling away in my car after a service as the dealership invariably put the handbrake on.

Whilst not wishing to sound like a pedantic old git, I would like to make a couple of points that are pedantic and may lead some readers to believe I am an old git.

1) Remaining with the foot on the brake pedal for a period of time whilst stationary (or using SBC) is in contradiction (IIRC) to the highway code and is discourteous to the vehicle behind in the queue, whose driver has to endure looking at approximately 100W of unnecessary bright red brake lights. This is especially irritating at night when it's raining.

On the other hand, we must bear in mind that the MB driver is probably also looking at a full set of dazzling brake lights on the car in front, and also that the driver of the car behind probably also has their foot planted firmly on the brake pedal, thus dazzling the person behind them. So there is a sort of self-levelling equality to the discomfort so caused.

2) In the event that you are shunted hard in the rear by a git (old or otherwise), it is highly probable that you will not remain with your foot on the brake pedal. If you haven't bothered with the handbrake, you probably haven't bothered putting the car in neutral, either (the two sort of go together). So, you can then expect the car to start to head off on its own accord. If you are in the middle of the queue, you can look forward to the imminent unplanned opportunity to replace your headlights and front bumper. If you were at the front of the queue, you migt be looking forward to an unplanned impact in the driver's door.

Having taken this moral high ground, I confess I just hold the car on the brake for short stops myself. But it is the privilege of a pedantic old git to tell people what they are doing wrong whilst not practicing what they preach.:D

Philip

do you mean use handbrake when you park the car or when you are stationary (say at traffic lights) waiting to go?

I only use the handbrake (Auto) when parked on hills otherwise I don't...

When the Sprinter is parked on a hill I also leave the gear in first in addition to the handbrake as a pre-caution!

prprandall51 said:
Having taken this moral high ground, I confess I just hold the car on the brake for short stops myself. But it is the privilege of a pedantic old git to tell people what they are doing wrong whilst not practicing what they preach.:D

Philip

:D

I would say though after my ex used the car she put that hand brake on. i jumped in the car not in the ermmm best of moods shall we say. Engage drive and go. What a noise :rolleyes: Thought the back end had fallen off.

I can do pedantic, my M-B has a parking brake not a handbrake (it's foot operated!) :)

On any slope at all, yes I do use it. Holding back 2 tonnes of car must put some load on my (very expensive) transmission otherwise.

If you actually see the 'pin' that locks the gearbox in 'P' you will want to use the parking brake when parked on anything except the flat!!

not unless on a steep hill (and i live in the Fens so we don't have any of those!)

and its no good while stationary in traffic (i subscribe to the don't move it into park as you damage the gearbox theory) as the engine torque overcomes braking force

Last edited:
i us e the handbrake when car is parked up, Dad once drove for a whole day with the handbrake locked on, and complained of a funny smell! luckily didnt cause any damaged, just had to get my local indi to release the jammed pads!!

Question for the technically minded (no, I don't know the answer! this is not more pedantry):

If you park your car by the roadside in a line of cars and use the P-Park position to hold the car but do not use the handbrake, and then some git comes along and shunts your car (good and hard, like they do) as they get into or out of the next parking space along, all of the energy of the impact will - I assume - be passed straight through the transmission to the transmission interlock that is the P-Park mechanism.

I wonder if you could damage an auto box in this way? Certainly, applying the hand brake would prevent this happening - or dramatically reduce the energy being transmitted, at least.

Any opinions?

Philip

When parking on flat or mild slope ground no. Just put it in P

Stopped in traffic only if it looks like a long wait

On any form of meaningful hill always!

Only thing holding the transmission locked is the parking pawl, which strictly should never be used as sole means of holding a parked car in place. Read car manuals and a lot say something along the lines of "P" should be used as a backup for the parking brake.

Constant use of the parking pawl only, especially in hilly areas, means that drivetrain is under constantly stress. They can wear and break, which no doubt means the transmission has to come out.

No wish to up the ante in the pedantic old git stakes, but when touring the Alps always carry a couple of plastic wheel chocks. That is mostly in case a wheel change is required (although I carry a couple of cans of tyreweld) but I have used them when having to park up on very steep roads when I would rather like to find car where I left it.

Useful tip if you are an infrequent hand/foot brake user and have a secondary parking brake arrangement as opposed to main brake pads that get applied by the parking brake: stop car in Neutral facing uphill (somewhere safe to do this!!) apply parking brake without locking on ratchet.

Now release pressure on parking brake slightly and let car roll backwards slowly against the parking brake a few times. That helps clear some of the crud off the friction material. Now turn around and do same a few times whilst facing downhill.

jimmy said:
If you actually see the 'pin' that locks the gearbox in 'P' you will want to use the parking brake when parked on anything except the flat!!

I agree the pin is taking a lot of load on any slope :eek: and therefore you should use the handbrake to save breaking it and having an expensive transmission repair.:crazy:

It's a fact that autos suffer more from warped brake discs than manuals, the theory is that after a bit of spirited driving, the brake discs get hot, when at junctions, traffic lights etc holding the car on the foot brakes, the brake pads act as heat sinks and cool the brake discs unevenly.

Obviously this goes against cars with SBC and SBH like mine!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom