Do You Volunteer? Where? Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
R231 SL350 in Obsidian Black
I'll start

Yes

At a Nationsl Trust property in Coggeshall; Paycockes House

I have always been fascinated by old buildings

Volunteering helps me feel as though I am giving something back, after a lifetime of being too busy

When she was here, it got me out of my wife's hair for a few hours every week.

I enjoy volunteering and the people I volunteer with

I'm still learning

Over Christmas. Help cook/feed the folk that may otherwise not get a hot meal most of the week.

Had a time in my life with no home, money, job or luxuries.

"Charity begins at home". Who am I to judge others.

I do a bit for the Cat and Rabbit Rescue.....but I work full time so its limited....my wife however only does paid work two days a week the rest of the times its helping the Cat and Rabbit Rescue by handling the animals and getting them used to human contact again.....some have not had great lives so it takes time before that are in a state to be rehomed, sourcing donations for their charity shops and fayres. She's also an assistant for the Riding for the Disabled amongst one or two other bits and peices.....so I might not volunteer much.....but I'm happy enough to take the credit for my wife being able to....If I didn't work she could not afford to do all this unpaid work!!!

I was a Scout leader for 10 years and loved it, especially the camping. I followed that with 5 years as the Scout District Treasurer which was something of a thankless task trying to get subs out of 20 odd different Scout groups and dealing with the charities Commission but someone had to do it and I tried to do it well. My most recent volunteer role was helping out with Forest School at my granddaughters primary school -. more of the same really. I only stopped doing that because the school took on a permanent member of staff so I was no longer needed. I should find something else to do even as I turn 70.

I'm a volunteer sailing instructor at the Nancy Oldfield Trust , have been for almost 15 years. I get great joy from sharing my love of sailing on the Norfolk Broads with those less able and advantaged as me.

For 30 years now I have volunteered at a dolphin rescue centre. It’s very rewarding and takes up relatively little of my time.

It makes me happy knowing that I am giving something back, and means that I can tell the girls that I’m a dolphin trainer when I’m out on the pull.

Living in the Midlands, it means that i’ve not yet received the call requesting my help, but when/if I do then I will be ready.

For 30 years now I have volunteered at a dolphin rescue centre. It’s very rewarding and takes up relatively little of my time.

It makes me happy knowing that I am giving something back, and means that I can tell the girls that I’m a dolphin trainer when I’m out on the pull.

Living in the Midlands, it means that i’ve not yet received the call requesting my help, but when/if I do then I will be ready.
Does it give you a sense of porpoise?

Yes.

Refurbishing tools at WorkAid, sending tools to projects in Africa and UK. Why? Love the work and fellowship.

Working front of house at the local Court Theatre, Why? Good fun, and see some decent shows/acts.

I volunteered 40 hours a week for a charity for the elderly for 2 years until the charity had to close because the local authority refused to stump up £20k pa. The charity was desperately needed in a very deprived area. Put a lot into it and got a lot out including a now 20 year relationship with Ms Me who was a manager there.

For a charity based here in the north-west, I read articles in local newspapers which are recorded in a small studio and distributed to people with sight problems. It's a way of paying back a little of the significant amount of support that was given to my mum in her later years when she lost her sight.

For the last seven years I have been building an aircraft, a Zenair 750 STOL for a charity called Aerobility. We lost two years due to covid, but it is now ready to fly after its weight and balance check next Monday, It has been built by disabled people, two teams of three a week.

I went to volunteer at our local branch library so that I could read in a quiet atmosphere with a ready supply of books. Unfortunately lots of people kept coming in to take out and return books.
Gave that up. It is quieter at home and I can order library books online and have them delivered.

I volunteered for a dog rescue. but i was rubbish at it because i kept adopting the dogs

View attachment 156886

That's the problem we have!!.....before my wife started at the Cat and Rabbit Rescue we had one cat. Now we have three cats and two rabbits......and Im half the reason my vet drives a Bentley!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom