Doctor interrupts Cameron's NHS photo-op

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good for him, spoiling the staged photo shoot.

Not quite sure of the OP's point, but the doc was quite right. Why should the rules not apply to film crews and photographers if they apply to everyone else?

It is amusing tho....

What's worrying is that Cameron reminds me of my boss, in both looks and actions...

...and how is it that the doctor was able to just storm-in past security and confront the PM (and his deputy) unhindered? :confused:

While on the face of it some people may find this amusing it also says something about the current state of the NHS on another level! :dk:

It says the doctor wants to practice medicine whilst the hospital managers want to kiss the politicians ****s. Fair play to the doctor.

It says the doctor wants to practice medicine whilst the hospital managers want to kiss the politicians ****s. Fair play to the doctor.

Not that fair.

The doctors manage to act as a guild and hold a disproportionate level of power.

It's easy to be stroppy if the consequences are limited.

Apparently he's been moaning for years about having to wear short sleeves.

why not? he is the doctor.

Well, I kinda expected to see him wrestled to the ground by a couple of burly minders... :D

Pretty sure that would have been the case if Obama was visiting.

Not that fair.

The doctors manage to act as a guild and hold a disproportionate level of power.

It's easy to be stroppy if the consequences are limited.

Its worth remembering that its the doctors that train for over a decade to be competent enough to treat us, and for us to put our trust and lives in their hands.

There are numerous NHS managers in non-jobs, who stumbled into them just from being in the NHS, have very little training/education, and very little knowledge of the real world. They seem to spend a lot of their time in 'important' meetings with each other, writing policy documents, and being busy and self important in their own little bubbles in order that they can tick a bock to say their job is done.

I see this thing everyday and it sickens me. Listen to the doctors, and let them make clinical decisions about what is and isn't right in a clinical environment. In this instance, the doctor was an orthopaedic consultant on an orthopaedic ward where infection is a major, life threatening risk, and he was right to say what he said, despite the PM and his gimp being there. At he very least he was sticking to the rules that the government have encouraged hospitals to adopt to reduce infection rates. Good for him I say.

Its worth remembering that its the doctors that train for over a decade to be competent enough to treat us, and for us to put our trust and lives in their hands.

That doesn't guarantee they're not useless.

There are numerous NHS managers in non-jobs, who stumbled into them just from being in the NHS, have very little training/education, and very little knowledge of the real world.
That doesn't guarantee they're all useless.

I see this thing everyday and it sickens me. Listen to the doctors, and let them make clinical decisions about what is and isn't right in a clinical environment.
Sadly doctors aren't that perfect. As a profession they'd like you think that they are. But they're just another bunch of people qualified to do something. Given number of very good, good, mediocre, not so good, and very not so good make up the mix.

That bit is normal for any profession but they also have the power to disrupt their own management.

IMO that makes the medical staff just as culpable for any failings in the NHS as the management. But typically they don't take the rap.

Sadly doctors aren't that perfect. As a profession they'd like you think that they are. But they're just another bunch of people qualified to do something. Given number of very good, good, mediocre, not so good, and very not so good make up the mix.
That bit is normal for any profession but they also have the power to disrupt their own management.
IMO that makes the medical staff just as culpable for any failings in the NHS as the management. But typically they don't take the rap.

Getting warmer. ;)

I saw a programe with Geoffery Robinson (I think) trying to get a "wallet" of consultants to work in a different way to get more operations done. Totally stone walled by all concerned except for one guy:mad:

Nothing to do with what the OP posted just a wee rant for an early morning.

Sorry to go off on one.

Bottom line:

If the nhs was privatised a la USA then docs would earn about 3 times what they currently do. The same for nurses. However, many of the NHS managers would see a significant salary drop as most would be hard pressed to get a job as a supermarket manager.

NHS is a gravy train for very average people to get promoted way above their station.

I saw a programe with Geoffery Robinson (I think) trying to get a "wallet" of consultants to work in a different way to get more operations done. Totally stone walled by all concerned except for one guy:mad:

Nothing to do with what the OP posted just a wee rant for an early morning.

Sorry to go off on one.

BBC/OU Open2.net - Can Gerry Robinson Fix The NHS?

Takes the lid off the internal "power politics" of the NHS.

His programme on dementia care homes was equally revealing.

BBC/OU Open2.net - Health & Social Care - Can Gerry Robinson Fix Dementia Care?

Bottom line:

If the nhs was privatised a la USA then docs would earn about 3 times what they currently do. The same for nurses.

And those who could afford private health insurance would be paying their salaries whilst those who couldn't afford it would die in bed at home.

Bottom line:

If the nhs was privatised a la USA then docs would earn about 3 times what they currently do. The same for nurses. However, many of the NHS managers would see a significant salary drop as most would be hard pressed to get a job as a supermarket manager.

NHS is a gravy train for very average people to get promoted way above their station.

(just a few thoughts on your use of the phrase bottom line)

If this is true how come people from all over the world choose to work for the NHS instead of in the US?

I can't believe the bottom line is not powerful enough to shift enough doctors around the world to sate the US market. So their must be other factors that come into play. The US is a reasonable place to live if you pull down 500k a year. What are we missing. Why isn't the US healthcare market swamped with docs?

My first thought is that the market has been fixed by the insurance companies. They see pile it high sell it cheap as a poor business model for US healthcare. They are restricting supply by keeping premiums premium and paying doctors over the odds.

I don't think the relative rates of pay of healthcare professionals tells us much about the QoS they offer.

just my twopennoth for what it is worth. not much.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is a Philadelphia obstetrician. He gets paid more than a similar UK consultant (but not much) but his professional indemnity insurance is quite astonishing, as if there are any birth defects the doctor always gets sued.

Swings and roundabouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom