dodgy bonnet catch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
The bonnet catch is a little odd on my car, sometimes the bonnet doesn't quite close properly. I put this down to a silly plastic thing that's not seated properly where the bonnet clamps into the slam panel.

Today on the M62 the bonnet popped up :eek: ! It was hanging on by the catch and as I'd just missed the Birch services entrance I had to stay on 'til the Whitefield junction on the M60! I opened and closed it properly in Tescos car park. I remember now that last night I opened the bonnet to add some more screen wash and it didn't close properly, but I thought it was fine...

Tonight I will take a closer look at that catch! Prolly pick up some new underwear too.

had a few similar problems after fitting my Avantgarde Grille ...

the "tongue" that pops out when you pull the catch kept getting stuck, and hence it wouldn't close properly. Managed to stretch it a little bit somehow and re-seat it, and its been fine since then - otherwise the whole mechanism may just need lubricating, I guess.

shude, i know this is an old thread, but did you get you bonnet catch sorted?

Mine popped up 3 times yesterday whilst driving, scared the safety catch will give way next time :(

Alps said:
shude, i know this is an old thread, but did you get you bonnet catch sorted?

Mine popped up 3 times yesterday whilst driving, scared the safety catch will give way next time :(
Yes.

When I bought my car it was missing the fan shroud in the engine bay. The shroud is about a tenner so I ordered it in time for the next service and they fitted it for nothing for me. The fan shroud is needed to push the little clip on top of the slam panel into position so the bonnet opens and closes properly, AFAIK. I will try to take a pic if I remember but TBH there's not much to look at!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom