Dodgy dealings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SHAUNE55

Banned
Car
'01 E55 : '99 E55
There seems to be a lot of this lately, auctions ending and then the seller putting the exact same item back on as buy it now with a higher price.
Some items have loads of bids with a few pence or pounds separating the winner and losers.
If the winning bidder didn't pay it would give the option of a second chance to others.
One can only assume the seller wasn't happy with the price and made up some excuse as not to sell to the winner.
Here is just one example.
Scroll down first link.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

engine cover amg genuine e55 amg engine cover fits other mercedes amg cover | eBay

this sort of thing has been going on for years, and is one of the problems with buying goods over the internet from people you have never met or goods you have not seen other than a picture on a website

i had the similar problem with a fireplace i bought off ebay years ago, ebay say they can offer payment protection, ok if you go through paypal then yes, but if you send a chq or something else they cant, so just make sure you pay through something like paypal

Report him to ebay and get him kicked off, if he wanted more money originally he should have put a reserve on it.

I don't think eBay will kick off a seller unless he's cost them money.

If all he's doing is acting like a third world market trader and selling all manner of dodgy, counterfeit goods, then that seems to be fine by eBay from what I can see.

Report him to ebay and get him kicked off, if he wanted more money originally he should have put a reserve on it.

I've no intention of reporting him but I agree with the reserve or a higher starting price.
I don't think eBay will kick off a seller unless he's cost them money.

If all he's doing is acting like a third world market trader and selling all manner of dodgy, counterfeit goods, then that seems to be fine by eBay from what I can see.

The goods are not in question.

Probably nothing dodgy at all going on.

You don't know why the original sale wasn't completed. If no negative feedback was left by the buyer for the seller refusing to sell at the hammer price I'd guess the seller did not complete.

After that it's a whole new sale or 2nd chance offer (seller's choice) & if he starts a new sale he can sell at what ever price he likes. He is, after all, the owner of the item.

Happened to me recently, nothing to be done about it. I won an auction for a windblocker for my CLK at a good price. I've been watching them for a while, cheapest I've seen one go is £145. Managed to win one for £112, seller mailed me next day to say they had found some damage on it so they had to cancel the auction. Same seller was regularly getting between £140 and £160 for them. I kept the blocker in my watch list so got notified when it was relisted. Mailed both seller and Ebay, no response from either.

I'm just curious about where these people get the windblockers from, why can't I find their source :dk:

ps. seller was very courteous and left me positive feedback.

As above. I won a Kenwood Stereo and CD changer at what I considered a good price. Seller then said he had broken it when he was packing it for shipping. Re-listed a week later with same seller. FYI. Lots of ebayers use multiple accounts and family etc to schill bid and pump up prices. It is almost considered the norm now unfortunately.

Did both of you neg your sellers?

If not, why not?

I've been on the other end of such a situation recently: buyer won the auction, demanded lower price (I did originally had a BIN, but it disappeared, as soon as bidding started - eBay is just being greedy: they charge you extra for BIN, but then drop it, once first 99p bid is made).

The difference was only £8 (£333-£325), so I didn't mind, but then he started bombarding me with demands to go private, i.e. outside eBay. I refused, reported him to eBay and cancelled the transaction.

Result of all this mess? I was penalised for adhering to eBay policies: he was allowed to leave me a negative feedback, my first in 11 years ("we can't prevent user for leaving a feedback, even if transaction is cancelled, sir'); eBay refuses to remove it, because it is "not abusive" and I have decided not to sell anything on eBay anymore.

The greedy b4$t4rds only interested in making money, and have no concept of integrity or decency - no wonder crooks feel at home on eBay!

I am sure I never won my auction but came second, the winner pulled out so I became the winner.
Am sure this was a con as well??

DaveGK, if you open a non payment dispute ebay will automatically remove the fb once the case is settled in your favour.

Resolution Centre - eBay

It's all explained in their 'Help' pages.

Thanks, yes, I know now - it was, perhaps, my mistake to cancel transaction in the first instance, just didn't want anything to do with that weasel ...

I've been on the other end of such a situation recently: buyer won the auction, demanded lower price (I did originally had a BIN, but it disappeared, as soon as bidding started - eBay is just being greedy: they charge you extra for BIN, but then drop it, once first 99p bid is made).

The difference was only £8 (£333-£325), so I didn't mind, but then he started bombarding me with demands to go private, i.e. outside eBay. I refused, reported him to eBay and cancelled the transaction.

Result of all this mess? I was penalised for adhering to eBay policies: he was allowed to leave me a negative feedback, my first in 11 years ("we can't prevent user for leaving a feedback, even if transaction is cancelled, sir'); eBay refuses to remove it, because it is "not abusive" and I have decided not to sell anything on eBay anymore.

The greedy b4$t4rds only interested in making money, and have no concept of integrity or decency - no wonder crooks feel at home on eBay!

This has been my belief fo a while Ebay will only look after Ebay interests, its disgcraceful what goes on there, no justice at all to my mind. My thoughts are what goes around comes around, and Ebay will one day be vunarable to a competitor, and then we will all walk, me first, unfortunatley most of their high placed personel will be probaly awarded large £££££ for their current efforts!.

I get frustrated with Ebay as much as the next person. Fact is even with Ebay and Paypal fees I wouldn't be able to get rid of half the stuff I sell on there.

Nothing is perfect but Ebay is useful, I've sold lots on there and got plenty of good buys.

This has been my belief fo a while Ebay will only look after Ebay interests, its disgcraceful what goes on there, no justice at all to my mind. My thoughts are what goes around comes around, and Ebay will one day be vunarable to a competitor, and then we will all walk, me first, unfortunatley most of their high placed personel will be probaly awarded large £££££ for their current efforts!.

I think the mistake here was DaveGK's, not ebay's.

Ebay has a procedure in place to automatically remove negative feedback left by non paying buyers which at the same time will refund the seller final value fees and give a free, new listing if desired and give the buyer a strike so future seller's can exclude them as bidders. It took me less than 1 minutes to find the link to start that process in post 13.

Ebay has very comprehesive, straightforward, easy to use 'Help' pages with a very useful search facility. They also have very busy forums in their 'Community' section where help is available through searching existing threads or posting a new one. If people cannot be bothered to read the rules in order to garner an understanding of ebay's procedures or look them up when they encounter a problem it's hardly ebay's fault IMHO.

This is indeed very annoying but I guess you learn to expect it as some deals are just too good to be true.

I recently won an eBay auction for a 210 E55 interior at just over £100 and fortunately (after learning about the complexity of retrofitting electric memory seats) the seller decided to tell me the item was no longer available even though it was not mentioned in the listing that this item was for sale elsewhere. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to get the interior at that price anyway so I guess the best thing is to expect nothing and then you have nothing to be disappointed about.

On the other hand, there are some genuine cases out there so don’t always assume the seller is at fault.

I once sold a pair of side repeaters that went at a fairly cheap price only to find I had genuinely misplaced them :doh: This was quite frustrating because I was happy to send off them off at whatever price but in the end I had to explain the situation to the buyer who naturally didn’t believe me. There wasn’t much I could do to convince the buyer who in the end left me my first neutral feedback which I was expecting but this was still an annoying situation :wallbash:

I agree 100% with you. A very one sided operation designed to keep ebay in the £££. Sellers are second class citizens to these people.:mad:

Sellers are second class citizens to these people.:mad:

Don't you mean buyers are :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom