Dodgy eBay buyers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zappa

Car
230CE
Hello folks,

Being a general engine head interested in old motorcycles and cars, I've bought and sold a few items on eBay over the years, and for the most part, buyers and sellers have been genuine and great.

But...there have also been a good few time-wasters, twats, and scammers.

Those of you who have frequented the auction site will probably have experienced this in one form or other, and the frustration caused by these idiots.

Now, I understand a late night drunken bid, an over-enthusiastic buy it now button press, and even a thought I wanted it, but now I don't bid/buy it now etc.

Not an excuse really, and being on the receiving end of this attention tries my patience, and loses the genuine potential buyers /watchers of good stuff I no longer need or want, when my item is 'sold' (NOT), and then having to go through the whole process of cancelation, resolution centre, and re-list etc

But the ones that really p*** me off, are the scammers, they don't all fall into the same categories, and it's not like they are similar to hackers, hackers tend to use they're intelligence for far greater things then car or bike parts.

And it is car or bike parts, where I discover the most scammers on eBay, I personally find them to be the lowest form, pretending to be genuine, using all sorts of tricks, to try and part you from your cash or items.

Don't get me wrong, there are loads of great used parts sellers on eBay, and I have had great transactions from good people, and crap ones from the ones I didn't spot till too late.

But the one item that I've failed to sell, time and time again, due to a high time waste, ****, scammers count is my Getrag Dogleg Manual Gearbox.

Why oh why does this item attract so many morons? Its not like it's as over priced like the other ones I see for up to a grand! I want less than half of that for my nice clean good one.

The latest one was Mr Mohammad Afsar of Derby (allegedly), eBay name 'affafsr-u9s6qv' who made an offer, which I accepted, so transaction done as far as eBay are concerned, he then sends me a message...

"Theres been a mix up (like what??) I can only offer (25% less), pick it up wednesday yes (dream on)"

Followed by an exchange of his cocky childish jibber, when I sussed him out, wasting my time and all other watchers genuinely interested...

If your on this forum Afsar, behind your screen with your little piece in your hand, reading this, yes I'm talking about you low life...use your intelligence for things greater things than your ego and greed.

Sorry folks, just had to let off a bit..have good evening!

That was Frank zappa

Unfortunately it's the playground of scammers and time wasters these days.

As Frank as I could be without being banned heh!

And your totally right Doberman

As Frank as I could be without being banned heh!

And your totally right Doberman

How’s about.

A set of Black Hamman Turbine 22” wheels. These are finished in BLACK powder coat.

Then I post up around 12 colour pictures showing the Black Wheels.

Sold same day at the BUY IT NOW price.

Email follows confirming purchase and keen to collect.

Seller doesn’t show up.

Eventual response to countless “where are you” emails??????

I never knew the wheels were BLACK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest one was Mr Mohammad Afsar of Derby (allegedly), eBay name 'affafsr-u9s6qv' who made an offer, which I accepted, so transaction done as far as eBay are concerned, he then sends me a message...
"Theres been a mix up (like what??) I can only offer (25% less), pick it up wednesday yes (dream on)"

Some of these characters come from different cultures where haggling is all part of the deal, I've encountered many who think the selling price is actually the starting price to begin negotiation after agreeing to buy.
It's also hard to convey any of this in an email without sounding rascist!

Russ

ebay unfortunately side with the buyers majority of the time. I used to sell a lot electronic stuff like laptop etc on there many moons ago and one buyer wasn't happy with the performance of his used laptop (used but all formatted etc) and asked for a refund, I happily obliged but said the he is responsible for the fees sending it back. He complained and left a negative feedback, Ebay refunded in full and he never returned the laptop and I was left with a negative feedback which they won't delete. Long story short - I don't use Ebay at all now.

Amazon on the other hand has been amazing - bought two new LG phones 2 years ago and they bricked (failed to start) one after another, Amazon told me to keep the phones and refunded me in full, the same price I paid 2 years ago, without warranty!

Some of these characters come from different cultures where haggling is all part of the deal, I've encountered many who think the selling price is actually the starting price to begin negotiation after agreeing to buy.

I see this quite often at work, if they get a negative answer to a question they'll keep asking under the misapprehension that the answer will somehow change.

After several years and more than one sh*t-o-gram via email, they've finally started to understand that no really does mean no.

*Sighs*
Yes, I completely agree - eBay used to be great but now selling items is just so much hassle and the fees ever increasing that items tend to either get given away or left to rot in cupboard/garage/under bed!

It can be slightly amusing at times, but my f**kwit tolerance levels get lower each year ;)

A bit like car boot sales, all you want to do is get rid of some stuff from your loft and garage and price it all as low as Shark shti and some joker offers you 10p for something you have priced at 50p and is probably worth £2.00.

eBay is just like a crap car boot sale now

Ironically, I've been trying to sell some bits and pieces from my work for charity and it seems hackers are bidding on the items, they don't pay, are not members and have no address so it's not as if I am going to ship the item.

I have no idea what they gain other than wasting everyone's time.

Been going on for a few months now albeit I only sell one thing a week.

Scabbay advise I use a Buy It Now; instead of an auction and them fixing their crappy website.

Few years ago put 4 wheels n tyres on off my daughters C2, loads of chav messages... how cash bruv ....etc, auctions going to run to end as stated, absolutely no overseas postage, about 30 different bidders, went for reasonable price.....can you let me know your postage address....Spain!! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience with eBay is quite positive both in selling and buying.
All my cars I’ve sold through eBay with only one problem with the buyer who had paid the deposit and later decided that MB is too expensive to run.
When buying I am only buying new from business sellers and never had a problem with the delivery or quality of the item.
eBay vs Amazon: If I don’t need something delivered tomorrow I’ll always chose eBay. Amazon is only for late purchases and it comes with a hefty price.
100% GENUINE TEMPERED GLASS FILM SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR APPLE IPHONE 6S & 6 749110494124 | eBay
Yousave Accessories iPhone 6S / 6 Crystal Clear Tempered Glass Screen Protector [Ultra Thin 0.3mm / 9H Hardness Rating] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DZVOR68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZpbVAb5E7QE2D

Not eBay and not car parts, but crap "buyers" for a spare freezer and fridge/freezer, both very good condition, neither having much use.

Most contacts are from people who haven't read the advert properly asking info that is in it. The majority ask will I accept less. Then I get this: "Hi would you be willing to donate to a family in need of a fridge freezer please".

Hmmm...No.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Good morning.......my 4 zambian kwachas worth. Iv been using ebay for 15+ year's. One thing I have learnt is have product knowledge of what your buying so you can ask the right questions and know what its worth. On the selling side i do find it time consuming at times with P&P. In recent times i have found gumtree quiet useful........as long as you enjoy a bit of haggling

As per the general tone of all the above, the aggeavation factor can be a real turn-off if you need to raise real money by selling valuable items.
I'm at the lower end of the market selling electronic bits n pieces, never gonna get rich doing that, but I'm finding over the years that I'm having to pay more for "stuff" and getting less when I sell the "stuff".
I try to look on it as a hobby now, even then, the time to quit is when you go below break-even point.
God help people who expect to make a living from buying/selling, but for the occasional "clear-out" ebay works well for stuff you can post. Anything that actually involves buyers travelling to you is a whole new world of pain!

Not eBay and not car parts, but crap "buyers" for a spare freezer and fridge/freezer, both very good condition, neither having much use.

Most contacts are from people who haven't read the advert properly asking info that is in it. The majority ask will I accept less. Then I get this: "Hi would you be willing to donate to a family in need of a fridge freezer please".

Hmmm...No.

A friend of mine listed some item or other on Freecycle (you're giving stuff away to the first person who wants it).

She received a message from someone asking if she could deliver it.

ebay unfortunately side with the buyers majority of the time. I used to sell a lot electronic stuff like laptop etc on there many moons ago and one buyer wasn't happy with the performance of his used laptop (used but all formatted etc) and asked for a refund, I happily obliged but said the he is responsible for the fees sending it back. He complained and left a negative feedback, Ebay refunded in full and he never returned the laptop and I was left with a negative feedback which they won't delete. Long story short - I don't use Ebay at all now.

Amazon on the other hand has been amazing - bought two new LG phones 2 years ago and they bricked (failed to start) one after another, Amazon told me to keep the phones and refunded me in full, the same price I paid 2 years ago, without warranty!

So, what's the difference? Under the examples you provide, both eBay and Amazon seem to favour the buyer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom