Dodgy eBay seller - Buyer Beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
victor_mk said:

Hi Victor,
Welcome to an excellent forum.

I was sorry to see that you sent the wrong type gear knob to one of our well respected members?

As you can clearly see it has upset quite a few of us and I for one am pleased to see that you have joined this fine 'Band of Brothers\Sisters' ;)

I look forward to reading any of your contributions.

Regards,
John

agreed with John (although not so sure about the "well respected" bit)

Welcome Victor,

I did tell you that I was going to post this information on these forums unless you agreed to pay a full refund including any out of pocket expenses I had incurred due to your misrepresentation of the gear knob on eBay.

You will see that I have not varied from the factual in my description of events.

Should you wish to disagree, you are quite entitled to your say - this is an open forum and you are now a member but please bear in mind I'm more than happy to back up anything I have said with more photographs of what I consider to be an inferior product and stand by my recommendation to all other members of this forum not to enter into any dealings with you either in private or on eBay.

Andy

New picture
Just noticed that Victor has changed the Mercedes-Benz picture of the gear knobs he is selling!

John

I would leave neg feedback anyway, but use the Tiawanese ebay site as it gives you more space for feedback, a nice little trick if you have a lot to say.

http://my.tw.ebay.com

It takes a bit of decoding but well worth it

Neg him explaining why you are unhappy

parkyerbike said:
I would leave neg feedback anyway, but use the Tiawanese ebay site as it gives you more space for feedback, a nice little trick if you have a lot to say.

http://my.tw.ebay.com

It takes a bit of decoding but well worth it

Neg him explaining why you are unhappy

top tip :)

I have given him a chance to make amends before leaving negative feedback, besides, it would be wrong of me to leave feedback until victor has completed his part of the transaction. I'm not sure why victor feels the need to withold his feedback for me even tthough I paid in full until I have left some for him, I believe it's called witholding feedback and also contravenes eBay's terms and conditions :)

Andy

Hello to everyone,

I would like to explain my side of the story!

Andy k bouth a gear knob from me, he was not happy and therefore complained. I am very proud with the looks and quality of my gear knobs. However I offered him a full refond,the gear knob was 19.99 and £5 postage and packing and paypal and ebay fees. I did offered him a refund for the full amount of £24.99. So why is he not happpy and way is he doing all this, I can not answer this question can you? What he is saying is he wants OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES which is the postage for sending it back to me and probobly packing and...which is going to cost him probobly just over a pound. I sead no to this! So all this argument is for a pound, which is not gona make me richer but it is a mater of principals.
He has reported this issue to paypal and they said no to him, as i have offerd him a full refond on which he is still entitled to and he will receive it as soon as i let them now that i have received the gear knob back.

What do i get? A negative feedback on ebay from a dissatisfied costomer,a £4 loss for posting it to him and ebay fees and paypal fees. So i am asking you to tell me: do you still think that hi is RIGHT, the gear knob is the same i just dont now how did he managed to get that ugly picture of it, it is a materr of difrent cameras and enviroment in which the pictures have been taken (I did present the best of it he did the worst) so it looks like difrent one. I will end this here i will just give you one small comparation on how i understant this debate, if you buy something form a shop and for various reasons when you arrived at your house you don't like the product that you purchased, so obviously you have the receipt and you take the product back to the shop. You tell them that they have sold you a different product than what was advertised on the shelves and you ask for your money back. Do you also ask for your OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES such as petrol money.

You are more than welcome to go on e-bay and check the feedback received from the rest of my customers. I can not forse anyone to leave me positive feedback and even more forse them describe the item as good as they did. Many of these people have a lot more experiense with e-bay and know the business better then me. As allready mentioned I am very proud with the looks and high quality of my products.

Please repply and let me know of your oppinion.

Regards
Victor_mk

hmm interesting points to raise here.....

1, if postage and packaging will only cost a pound why did you charge me £5?
please note charging for ebay and Paypal fees is yet another direct contravention of eBays terms and conditions

2, if it is the same gear lever can you explain why the grain pattern of the wood is different - never mind the colour. That was not the same gear lever as you photographed. I'm even happy enough to show any member of this forum the gear knob and let them see just how poor the quality is and how it differs from the picture.

3, You make the shop analogy but that is innacurate because I wouldn't buy something that was unsuitable from a shop as I would be able to inspect the item before purchase

4, many companies and individuals which offer good customer service offer to cover return postage. Had the item been as advertised I would not have asked for a refund. In my opinion it is entirely the fault of the person who misrepresents the item.

I don't need to say any more really, I've made my point, explained to people here and shown them photographs which show that your products are not as advertised.

Andy

edited to add

Victor, you clearly state that the gear knob you sent me was the one in the photograph but that can't really be true either can it?

ebay items ...........

7998741714 - two gear knobs started 07/09/2005
7995166041 - two gear knobs started 22/08/2005
7992432595 - two gear knobs started 09/08/2005

or are you telling everybody here that we all get exactly the same gear knob?????

Last edited:
From the picture you can see that it is clearly a different gearstick. Also there is only so difference you can make with differnt camera/lighting conditions, but clearly the grain is different and in Andy's phot you can see a dripping effect in the lacquer. Looks like extremelt poor quality, definately something i would not put in a Mercedes.

victor_mk said:
the gear knob is the same i just dont now how did he managed to get that ugly picture of it, it is a materr of difrent cameras and enviroment in which the pictures have been taken (I did present the best of it he did the worst)

Hi Victor,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do note however that the photograph of the item you despatched to Andy is completely different from the photographs you are now displaying???

There has clearly been an accidental error on your part and I note that you are trying to make good for this mistake.

To highlight the fact that the photographs are of a different product I would simply point out the chromium tube? The first is 'dog legged' Your amended pictures show a straight connector. Plus, I would suggest the emblem at the top of the lever is different.

Also I would suggest the wood is a different quality?

Hopefully you will recognise the mistake and act accordingly.

Thanks again for replying,
John

Dear Andy K

1. If you read my repply you would know what the £5 were for (postage, envelope, ebay listing fee, e-bay final value fee and paypal fee).

2 & 3 Here is another comparison, you go to argos and buy a wooden table. You pick up the box from the counter. Go home you open the box and the pattern on the wood is different from the one you saw in the catalogue. Which is normal as every wood has a different pattern, but you can complain and retun it to them. Are you going to get OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES.

4. Please name one!

I don't need to say any more realy, I've made my point, explained to people here and shown them that I do offer a good service and I am not a dodgy e-bayer or a dodgy person as you have described me.

Do you still think that all this is worth over a pound?

Regards
Victor_mk

victor_mk said:
4. Please name one!
Amazon, I was delighted to discover! They refunded me more than I expected and when I checked the total they had added on the exact price of my stamps and the price of a standard padded envelope that I had supplied myself, all for a (faulty) DVD worth about £15 or something! :)

victor_mk said:
Dear Andy K

1. If you read my repply you would know what the £5 were for (postage, envelope, ebay listing fee, e-bay final value fee and paypal fee).

direct contravention of eBays terms and conditions

victor_mk said:
2 & 3 Here is another comparison, you go to argos and buy a wooden table. You pick up the box from the counter.

no I don't, I buy it on mail order and if it is significantly different to the item advertised I return it by phoning the returns line and Argos collect it at no cost to me

victor_mk said:
4. Please name one!

see above but you can add amazon, asda, tesco plus many honest small buisenesses and ebayers who place customer satisfaction high on their list of priorities

victor_mk said:
I don't need to say any more realy, I've made my point, explained to people here and shown them that I do offer a good service and I am not a dodgy e-bayer or a dodgy person as you have described me.

Well i'm not the one who has been less than honest am I? so I'll let everyone else make their own minds up. I guess that they have seen an eBayer who sells different goods to those advertised and refuses to offer decent customer services.

victor_mk said:
Do you still think that all this is worth over a pound?

not really but then neither was the gear knob that you sent me and it's not my business getting bad publicity :)

Andy

Dear All

I am not replying to you to avoid bad publicity.

I am a genuine person and am not happy when people like Andy with nothing else to do and feel better about themselfs by telling me how bad I am.

I am still not clear how Andy managed to make the gear knob look as bad as it does on his picture but that is deffinitely not the way it looks. If only you can see it by yourself it will all come clear to you who you are feeling sorry for.

Thank you for the hint about tesco and asda I do need to return some scart cables that do not work as expected. I will ask them for my petrol to be refunded as well.

Even if there was a big difference in the gear knobs Andy is getting a full refund which he was never denied and it was offered to him after his first complaint. The issue here is the out of pocket expenses not the quality of the gear knob. Because he is getting his money refunded for the gear knob. So why does still everyone agrees with Andy. Do you thing that I should give him the money for his out of pocket expenses £1 and do you think that Andy should leave me negative feedback.

victor_mk said:
If you read my repply you would know what the £5 were for (postage, envelope, ebay listing fee, e-bay final value fee and paypal fee).

Hello Viktor,

So let me get this straight. Your £5 postage charge is made up of:

1. Net postage charge at cost
2. Envelope or packaging material
3. ebay listing fee
4. ebay final value fee
5. PayPal transaction fee

I agree that 1 and 2 ONLY is permissable when charging the buyer postage. I do not agree that ebay listing fees, ebay final value fees and PayPal transaction fees should be charged to the buyer. These fees have been put in place to charge you, the seller, for the privilege of listing your item on ebay and also for the benefit of using PayPal as an easy method of receiving payment for the goods that you sell. However I do accept that these fees are a bit of a rip-off but that does not give you reason to charge these to the buyer.

Furthermore, if you give Andy a full PayPal refund (within 60 days) then PayPal will credit you your original transaction fee.

PayPal refund info

Also you may get your final value fee back from ebay if you file an unpaid item dispute:

Mutual agreement indication - while filing the Unpaid Item dispute, if the seller indicates that a mutual agreement has been reached with the buyer not to complete the transaction, eBay will ask the buyer for confirmation through an email and pop-up message.
If the buyer confirms the seller's statement about mutual agreement not to complete the transaction, the buyer will not receive an Unpaid Item strike and the seller will receive a Final Value Fee credit.

With this option, the buyer does not receive an Unpaid Item strike, the seller receives a Final Value Fee credit, and the item is eligible for a relist credit.

ebay dispute info

With the above in mind I would say that it would not be unreasonable to offer Andy a full refund including out of pocket expenses.

victor_mk said:
I am still not clear how Andy managed to make the gear knob look as bad as it does on his picture but that is deffinitely not the way it looks. If only you can see it by yourself it will all come clear to you who you are feeling sorry for.

As Bucks Fizz once said, a camera never lies ;) :D

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

What a storm in a teacup!

This thread is a wind up, isn't it? Three pages?

At the risk of once again attracting negative rep. points for once again disagreeing with the herd, here goes.

Andy,

The bloke has offered a full refund, including your postage. Life is short. Accept it and move on.

If you want to fight battles on matters of principle could you not find a more important battleground?

neilrr said:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

What a storm in a teacup!

This thread is a wind up, isn't it? Three pages?

At the risk of once again attracting negative rep. points for once again disagreeing with the herd, here goes.

Andy,

The bloke has offered a full refund, including your postage. Life is short. Accept it and move on.

If you want to fight battles on matters of principle could you not find a more important battleground?

I disagree (though not left negative feedback, I don't think its meant for when ppl have a divergence of opinions). In my mind, matters of principle should be fought out, nomatter how important. The importance is the principle!

As for return postage, I feel that this is all absolutely pointless. Royal Mail does a lovely service. Take the gearknob, put it in the original packaging, write in nice clear letters "RETURN TO SENDER" and bring it to your nearest post office... They will (at no charge to andy) return it to the sender and matters will be solved. This is how I get all my buyers (on ebay and off) to return items too me. That said, I do feel that it is the sellers responsability to refund return postage, but then again, i just use the method above.

On a separate note, I realise that eBay and paypal charge rip off fees to sellers, but it is ILLEGAL to include this in postage; I have seen ppl leaving negative feedback for this-not to me luckily :p

Michele

P.s. I feel that it is a shame that people in this forumn have already posted so much negative feedback for the seller, after all he did come here and try to explain himself...

Spinal said:
P.s. I feel that it is a shame that people in this forumn have already posted so much negative feedback for the seller, after all he did come here and try to explain himself...

Totally agree.
It is understandable for Andy to give a negative response because he has a complaint.

Whether Victor is right or wrong, he has had the decency to come here and explain himself.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Totally agree.
It is understandable for Andy to give a negative response because he has a complaint.

Whether Victor is right or wrong, he has had the decency to come here and explain himself.

Regards,
John

Completely agree too. Just want to make it clear that I didn't give Viktor a negative. Was just stating that he could recover some of his losses :)

Cheers,
Steve

Yes i agree with Neil...Victor i think your a decent fella and i would certainly buy somethin of you...welcome to the forum, stay around and join in the lively debates..!
;)

While I think Rep Points are meaningless nonsense, I do think it's completely wrong to give victor --- points for a private business transaction that happened OFF this forum and BEFORE he joined. If you disagree with what he's said in response to the slagging off he's been given by andy here (and on other MB BBs) then you must do as you see fit.

Personally, I can see nothing that he's done or said merits neg points, the opposite in fact. He's had the courage and decency to come on here and respond to andy, explaining his side of the story and that he offered a full refund + postage from the get go. Is that not the action of a reasonable man?

He could have said and done nothing. Not my definition of a dodgy ebayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom