Dodgy LCD dashboard displays on W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
I've looked at a few cars recently that had dodgy LCD displays in the dashboard. They were the small one in the left hand side that shows the time and the small one in the right hand side that shows the drive posution (1,2,3,4,d,ETC). Not all the pixels were showing.

One of the garages said he was going to get an autoelectrician to fix them.

Are they repairable or do they need to be replaced? Is repair or replacement an easy job? How much would replacements cost (new/used)?

Are these small displays more prone to going wrong than the large one in the middle that shows the computer display? I haven't seen one of these go wrong.

The adhesive falls apart and the LCD peels off. All he is going to do is find some sponge and wedge it behind the LCD display.

The adhesive falls apart and the LCD peels off. All he is going to do is find some sponge and wedge it behind the LCD display.
Is this an effective repair to make all the pixels visible again?

yes - I did that and both the LCDs were fine afterwards. There is a guide floating around here somewhere with pictures on how to do this.

There are also many places that do cluster repairs and guarantee them for around £100 - do a forum search in 'Electronics'.

Why would you want to pay someone £100 to pull the cluster out , stick a bit of rubber on the back and put it back in ?

There's a 'HOWTO' on here somewhere , it isn't difficult.

I am in the same situation and find it frustrating and annoying that pixels are missing in all three of the LCD displays. Wish I had the confidence and the tools to do it myself.

When Olly is working on your car Peter , ask him to pop the cluster out ( he has the right tools ) , and then you follow the 'HOWTO' on his laptop while he is servicing your car ...

Howard - Frankly, the rubber on the back is a bodge - sometimes you'll get away with it and other times you won't. Some people may also not feel comfortable with dismantling the cluster in order to fit the foam rubber piece. The cluster repairs that are guaranteed allegedly fit new parts, so the problem shouldn't return. I like my car to be in orginal condition, but if you're happy with yours being bodged, that's up to you. ;)

Touche ...

The cluster repairers fit rubber blocks .... perhaps they guarantee their bodges ?

Obviously you have a lot more money / are more gullible than me . ;)

My AMG clocks have AMG in white across the speedo. There is also no guarantee that the pixels in that console will all be working correctly.

I've looked at a few cars recently that had dodgy LCD displays in the dashboard. They were the small one in the left hand side that shows the time and the small one in the right hand side that shows the drive posution (1,2,3,4,d,ETC). Not all the pixels were showing.

One of the garages said he was going to get an autoelectrician to fix them.

Are they repairable or do they need to be replaced? Is repair or replacement an easy job? How much would replacements cost (new/used)?

Are these small displays more prone to going wrong than the large one in the middle that shows the computer display? I haven't seen one of these go wrong.

The rubber bung mod will fix the problems with the clock and temp displays not the big centre display. Mine are fine but I had two blown bulbs behind the speedo - its unbeliveably easy to remove the instrument console. I used the proper MB tools but a coat hanger would do the job just as well. It literally just pulls out, no clips, no screws, no poppers - nothing! There are two multiplugs to remove from the top at the back and thats it - full access to the rear of the console.

I was apprehensive when I took mine out for the first time but honestly when you have done it its almost laughably simple.

To do the whole job of the rubber bungs I would guess is 30mins - and then if you had to do it again 10mins!!! once you know the process

I guess this is off a diesel because the rev counter doesn't go very high.

Where is the memory for the mileometer? Is it in the display, or is it in the computer that drives the display? I mean if you change the display by fitting this one, will the mileometer still show what you had before, or will it show what was on the car it came from?

I guess this is off a diesel because the rev counter doesn't go very high.

Where is the memory for the mileometer? Is it in the display, or is it in the computer that drives the display? I mean if you change the display by fitting this one, will the mileometer still show what you had before, or will it show what was on the car it came from?

My MB dealer quoted me around £650.00 to install a new cluster and said there would be problems with the mileage if I didn't use them for the install.

I had a look at the repair companies on ebay, and they guarantee no problems with mileage as long as you don't drive the car whilst the unit is disconnected.

Saw Boxed, Brand Spanking New ones for sale from Nick at Euromerc for a bargain £199.00, but IIRC Nick had concerns about me just swapping the units without some tech help.

However, I've heard that the mileage is stored in other places on the car, and although you may think that this may help in retaining the correct data, this may be the exact reason the advice is given not to tinker with the units.

So I'm a dodgy pixel man too, for now. ;)

the foam padding does work, well I have it working on the temp display, but I cant get the clock to work :( I was quoted 180 from clusterrepairs but I think for 180 I can learn to live with this minor fault

I like my car to be in orginal condition, but if you're happy with yours being bodged, that's up to you. ;)

Apparently the chickens they serve in 5 star restaurants are hand-fed, walked every day, piped classical music and given a warm bath each week. This is to prevent people from thinking that restaurants buy their chickens from the same place other people do. That would be unforgiveable. Never mind that the wash-hand is at times seen sprinting around the supermarket in a flash in order to replenish the stocks for the evening service.

Be sure to tell me where I can get BENZINE for my Benz. I hope you are not using that fake PETROL stuff from the other companies.

Last edited:
its probably worth buying at a cheap price just to get the 3/4 tank of fuel

Nice one! I didn't spot that. Maybe it's duff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom