Dodgy Mouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I have a wired USB Microsoft 3000 optical mouse, but whenever a nearby mobile telephone rings the mouse dies (technical talk) the red optical light switches off and the icon thingie doesn't move. the only way for the for little mouse to work is to unplug the lead and re-insert it into the computer. :eek: :eek: :)

Has anyone got any ideas please?

regards
John

Has it only just started doing this? If so, what has changed?

Has it only just started doing this? If so, what has changed?
Hi Bill,
Good question but no, it has gone it for ages but wife is getting a bit annoyed at having to keep refitting the plug.

regards
John

Has it got any form of frequency switches that you can change over? It might be just because of the radio waves of your mobile being on the same frequency.

Mobile phones radiate a lot of energy when taking a call or 'polling' ... you sometimes hear this as a tone in nearby speakers (stereo, TV, etc.).

I suspect the long cable for your mouse is acting as an antenna and picking this up.

You might be able to fit a ferrous ring or other filter on the mouse lead (near where it goes into the PC). A lot of USB cables that come with cameras etc. already have these fitted.

Failing that a cordless mouse would probably be better. Or simply keep the mobile phone further away from the mouse lead (maybe you can change where it runs?).

I had a problem with my Mouse and spent a lot of time trying to fix it

Answer was finally to bite the bullet and buy a simple new one

........................£2.40 from Tesco!!! and works a treat!:bannana:

Its worth a try John

Most mice are relatively cheap these days. I'd suggest trying a different maker such as Logitech just in case there is something in the Microsoft set up that conflicts with your phone (though I can't think what).

Most mice are relatively cheap these days. I'd suggest trying a different maker such as Logitech just in case there is something in the Microsoft set up that conflicts with your phone (though I can't think what).
Good thinking,
I'll nick, beg, borrow or steal one from the other computer users in our house.

It's certainly a weird issue as I cannot figure out how, or why a mobile telephone signal can interefere with a wired mouse?

I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested it might be the little mouse's hearing being effected by the ringtone!

regards
John

Has it got any form of frequency switches that you can change over? It might be just because of the radio waves of your mobile being on the same frequency.
Sorry,
Just noticed your post.

No frequency adjustment but thanks for the suggestion.

regards
John

I cannot figure out how, or why a mobile telephone signal can interefere with a wired mouse?

Um ... as I posted earlier. The lead picks up radiated energy from the phone and feeds it into the mouse port on the PC. This signal is outside the normal range so the mouse driver shuts down. Unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again resets it.

Informed guesswork, but quite possible.

Um ... as I posted earlier. The lead picks up radiated energy from the phone and feeds it into the mouse port on the PC. This signal is outside the normal range so the mouse driver shuts down. Unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again resets it.

Informed guesswork, but quite possible.
Rubbish:devil: :devil: :D

Hi Bill
Many apologies for missing that first reply. I bet your answer is spot on.

The mobile phone lays on my bedside and no doubt is very close to the wire from the mouse..........

I reckon you have solved the problem, now I need the remedy:D :eek: .

I'll try putting the mobile phone in a different location but need to keep it to hand. :)

Thanks again
regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom