Dodgy practice by MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SSBB

Car
E320cdi Avantgard Estate
I bought my C250 six months ago with one owner and full MB history, Registered January 1999 (S plate), 80,000miles. It has slight rust on all arches and significant rust on the tailgate, I went to the local stealers who told me: Yes its covered by the warranty, however, you need to own it for six months before we will look at it (provable by the V5), this is to make sure your not a dealer trying to obtain free services, he was kind enough to put this in writing stating that it is official MB policy. Ive now had the car six months and went back to MB on 10th Jan, and they then said ' your warranty expired four days ago, sorry but NO CLAIM WILL BE ENTERTAINED' I erupted in the showroom and accused them of backstreet practices and the manager was summoned, I explained that I came in six months ago and he said the claim starts from the day AFTER youve had it for six months and he literally just walked off and ignored me. I dont know if I can name the con artists because of lible and all that but dont buy a MB from somewhere near Tamworth.
I asked if I bought a three year old car would I have no warranty for the first six months..I was asked to leave.
Watch this space.
If I lose, Im going to have my car sprayed with anti MB slogans and drive it everywhere.......ARGHHHHHH

Sorry to hear this...:mad:

First step is to write to DC UK Cus Services and contact them VIA telephone on 0800800644 to get a case logged and obtain ref no.

Do you have it in writing from the Stealer about the six months ownership statement? If so then this will significantly improve your chances of a successful outcome. MOBILO T&Cs change all the time. Try a different Stealer for a claim or approach a Mb authorised body shop directly to submit the claim.

Your car is indeed covered under the MB 30 year mobilolife warranty.Put a claim in as such.

adam

Hi SSBB,
Has your car got a full, uninterrupted Mercedes-Benz main dealer service history with the vehicle being serviced at least once every two years?

Has the car ever had any body repair work, and if so has it been carried out by an approved Mercedes-Benz gent, or Mercedes-Benz main dealer?

If the answers are yes, then my personal opinion is that you are being told whoopsies?

Good luck with the claim,
John

SSBB said:
I bought my C250 six months ago with one owner and full MB history, Registered January 1999 (S plate), 80,000miles. It has slight rust on all arches and significant rust on the tailgate, I went to the local stealers who told me: Yes its covered by the warranty, however, you need to own it for six months before we will look at it (provable by the V5), this is to make sure your not a dealer trying to obtain free services, he was kind enough to put this in writing stating that it is official MB policy. Ive now had the car six months and went back to MB on 10th Jan, and they then said ' your warranty expired four days ago, sorry but NO CLAIM WILL BE ENTERTAINED' I erupted in the showroom and accused them of backstreet practices and the manager was summoned, I explained that I came in six months ago and he said the claim starts from the day AFTER youve had it for six months and he literally just walked off and ignored me. I dont know if I can name the con artists because of lible and all that but dont buy a MB from somewhere near Tamworth.
I asked if I bought a three year old car would I have no warranty for the first six months..I was asked to leave.
Watch this space.
If I lose, Im going to have my car sprayed with anti MB slogans and drive it everywhere.......ARGHHHHHH

Another sorry story regarding rust. Ive never heard such nonsense about waiting six months in my life. I mean for gods sake does it matter if a car dealer is trying to get the rust repaired even if he bought the car cheap. Having to wait six months should be challenged through the legal system. If there is rust showing on a car of such a young age it should be rectified...never mind ducking and diving to get out of fixing the problem like some back street Arfur Daley type garage. The fact remains that merecedes paint work is of Nissan Cherry standards back in the late 70's. As I have stated in previous posts, even if mercedes were kind enough to rectify the rust problem as soon as it started why would anyone in their right mind knowingly buy a car that was going to rust and then have all the hassle of getting it repaired.!.:eek: I sincerely hope the problem is rectified without causing too much hassle, which I am sure you could do without.:)

This is disgraceful!
Park the car outside the dealership with notices in the window saying "look at the rust buckets this dealer sells." That may get thier attention.

Good luck and keep us informed.

petef said:
Another sorry story regarding rust. Ive never heard such nonsense about waiting six months in my life. I mean for gods sake does it matter if a car dealer is trying to get the rust repaired even if he bought the car cheap.
I do think that if someone gets a car cheap because of rust, then it's taking the mick somewhat to immediately drive it around to the nearest dealer and expect MB to turn it into a new car.

I don't really get the 6 month thing though - what MB ought to do is ensure that you register for Mobilo as soon as you buy the car so they can have a look at it and establish a baseline for its condition at the time of purchase.

There's another thread running on here where someone got £1K knocked off an E Class because of corroded alloys and is now getting his knickers in a twist because MB want to go 50/50 on supplying new wheels.

Last edited:
Rory said:
There's another thread running on here where someone got £1K knocked off an E Class because of corroded alloys and is now getting his knickers in a twist because MB want to go 50/50 on supplying new wheels.
Hi Rory,
I think you raised a very valid point on that other thread, but surely we are all friends and can put our point across in a polite way without referring to this persons undergarments :eek: I wonder if they wear knickers or a thong? :)

I have asked a few questions on this thread before offering advice simply because we need a full picture.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Hi Rory,
I think you raised a very valid point on that other thread, but surely we are all friends and can put our point across in a polite way without referring to this persons undergarments :eek: I wonder if they wear knickers or a thong? :)

I have asked a few questions on this thread before offering advice simply because we need a full picture.
I don't mean to offend anyone - 'knickers in a twist' is just my jokey way of saying he's getting himself into a tizzy about it.

I've also absolutely no problem with trying to get money out of any corporate organisation, and if you can buy something rusty / corroded at a discount, and then get it fixed for free, then well done.
However I don't feel it's reasonable to publically slag off a company when they recognise what you've done and refuse to pay, and it's even worse when they make a pretty good offer (ie to pay half in the case of the wheels) and it's still thrown back in their face.

I'm basing my comments on the information provided in the threads - if that info is incomplete then so be it.

Last edited:
Rory said:
However I don't feel it's reasonable to publically slag off a company when they recognise what you've done and refuse to pay, and it's even worse when they make a pretty good offer (ie to pay half in the case of the wheels) and it's still thrown back in their face.

I'm basing my comments on the information provided in the threads - if that info is incomplete then so be it.
:) I'm totally with you on this issue, but this forum has quite literally dozens of threads where members buy a car privately, or from an independant source, then run to the nearest main dealer to try to get them to repair the vehicle free of charge.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
:) I'm totally with you on this issue, but this forum has quite literally dozens of threads where members buy a car privately, or from an independant source, then run to the nearest main dealer to try to get them to repair the vehicle free of charge.
I'm sore about this because it happens in my business - we're the UK agents for several manufacturers of certain items. People buy the products from various (unofficial) sources but then come to us if they have problems. We tell them to get stuffed (although not quite that bluntly). They then say they won't buy from us, and they'll never buy xxx's products again, because our service is rubbish!!!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks for the good advice from all. For the record I paid £5,500 for the car which was advertised at £6,000. I knew this was a little over what I could get one for but it had a full MBSH (all documents present) and the test drive was fine. I used to run a motorcycle business so I know the score with whinging customers so I'm careful to treat others as I would like to be treated.
I just dont expect a MB to rot in seven years. One thing I never mentioned is that the stealer stated that the 30 year warranty will only be honoured for seven years which is what frustrated me!
On the plus side..I'm 45 yrs old and I've dreamed of owning a MB all my life (oh lord wont you buy me a mercedes benz...),this is my second MB and I love it to bits, I cant imagine ever buying any of the other rubbish I used to own. The only thing that stops me buying an E320CDi avantgarde is my job:Oh well, Cant have everything.

SSBB said:
Hi all,
Thanks for the good advice from all. For the record I paid £5,500 for the car which was advertised at £6,000. I knew this was a little over what I could get one for but it had a full MBSH (all documents present) and the test drive was fine.
To me it sounds like the dealer is fobbing you off.

I must confess to hating the term 'stealer' and it just seems hypocritical of ME to criticise them, when they are being criticised, but that is a side issue. Your car soulds like it comes under the cover of Mobilio providing it complies with the second question I asked :eek: :eek: Which you have forgotten to answer. (You probably forgot)

Good luck with the claim,
John

SSBB said:
Hi all,
Thanks for the good advice from all. For the record I paid £5,500 for the car which was advertised at £6,000. I knew this was a little over what I could get one for but it had a full MBSH (all documents present) and the test drive was fine. I used to run a motorcycle business so I know the score with whinging customers so I'm careful to treat others as I would like to be treated.
I just dont expect a MB to rot in seven years. One thing I never mentioned is that the stealer stated that the 30 year warranty will only be honoured for seven years which is what frustrated me!
On the plus side..I'm 45 yrs old and I've dreamed of owning a MB all my life (oh lord wont you buy me a mercedes benz...),this is my second MB and I love it to bits, I cant imagine ever buying any of the other rubbish I used to own. The only thing that stops me buying an E320CDi avantgarde is my job:Oh well, Cant have everything.

If the first registration date is after November something 1998 then the car is covered by the Mobilio 30 year warranty as long as it has MB authorised servicing stamps in the book and the last being within 24 months.

The dealer is referring to the original non Mobilio claims where the cars had only one year corrosion warranty.

The sticking point here is going to be that MB will decide your corrosion is not covered by the Mobilio warranty and falls under the goodwill scheme, as all other claims so far have done.
If this is the case then it may be that MB will not cover this as they support this scheme for eight years.

This will be a good test of whether MB are honoring corrosion claims for vehicles covered under Mobilio-life (30 year), or not.

Get in contact with MB customer care and see what transpires.

Try another dealer! i had command replacement claim refused by one, and new command claim fitted by another.

Rory said:
I'm sore about this because it happens in my business - we're the UK agents for several manufacturers of certain items. People buy the products from various (unofficial) sources but then come to us if they have problems. We tell them to get stuffed (although not quite that bluntly). They then say they won't buy from us, and they'll never buy xxx's products again, because our service is rubbish!!!

I really dont get this...I mean if you make a product ( I pressume you give it some sort of warranty ? ...as the manufacturer ) why should you not honor that warranty ? Who cares who supplied the item to a customer ?...you made it , assembled it, screwed the parts together, hired the workforce ( not illegal immigrants I hope ) etc etc...Surely if you had confidence in your product you would give it a cast iron warranrty ?... Knowone wants to think that customers are going to give your buisness a poor reputation in terms of quality and customer service....Back to mercedes paintwork and their warranty, they should take a leaf out of fords book. The warranty is the warranty, no matter who bought the car or how much they got it for, or how many owners it has had, because they know their paint work is 100% top notch. The only reason why mercedes brought out this 6 months issue is to try and get out of fixing all their shoddy workmanship. As for being the "proud owner" of this rust bucket ...its no wonder why mercedes continue to sell their cars and treat customers poorly. Mercedes in the past was about owning a well built car that oozed quality and giving off an image of intelligence as a wise buyer, being a shrude person, and knowing quality when you see it. I believe that image is still present with the older classic mercedes ..but not with the newer ones. People seem more to want one rather to impress their neighbours..:)

Rory said:

I really dont get this...I mean if you make a product ( I pressume you give it some sort of warranty ? ...as the manufacturer ) why should you not honor that warranty ? Who cares who supplied the item to a customer ?...you made it , assembled it, screwed the parts together, hired the workforce ( not illegal immigrants I hope ) etc etc...Surely if you had confidence in your product you would give it a cast iron warranrty ?... Knowone wants to think that customers are going to give your buisness a poor reputation in terms of quality and customer service....Back to mercedes paintwork and their warranty, they should take a leaf out of fords book. The warranty is the warranty, no matter who bought the car or how much they got it for, or how many owners it has had, because they know their paint work is 100% top notch. The only reason why mercedes brought out this 6 months issue is to try and get out of fixing all their shoddy workmanship. As for being the "proud owner" of this rust bucket ...its no wonder why mercedes continue to sell their cars and treat customers poorly. Mercedes in the past was about owning a well built car that oozed quality and giving off an image of intelligence as a wise buyer, being a shrude person, and knowing quality when you see it. I believe that image is still present with the older classic mercedes ..but not with the newer ones. People seem more to want one rather to impress their neighbours..:)

petef said:
Back to mercedes paintwork and their warranty, they should take a leaf out of fords book. The warranty is the warranty, no matter who bought the car or how much they got it for,
I understand what your saying but claimants sometimes are not totally 100% honest. I am NOT suggesting this is the case on this thread, but how many claimants do NOT comply with the full terms and conditions of the warranty and still demand free repairs? I am NOT fussed what these terms are. If I don't agree with them, then I don't play the game. Does Ford, or any other motor manufacturer have a thirty year warranty?

If the vehicle fully complies with ALL the conditions then I totally agree with your post, who cares who owns the vehicle, it SHOULD BE COVERED. Full stop. Owning the car for six months is wrong, if it is covered then it should be fixed.

If however a car has had bodywork repairs by an unauthorised agent then surely that is failing to comply with the terms? Being serviced by a main dealer has nothing to do with the state of the bodywork, but surely in the real world we never get anything for nothing? I believe this requirement is a way to help finance this warranty which is above and beyond the EU required compulsory one?

John

Rory said:

If people are buying parallel imports clearly your prices are too high.It's YOUR fault you have not renegotiated your wholesale prices not the customers !

adam

big x said:
If people are buying parallel imports clearly your prices are too high.It's YOUR fault you have not renegotiated your wholesale prices not the customers !

adam
We could be that cheap if we didn't have to provide all the things that customers (and suppliers) demand that we provide! Field support engineers, for example, cost £150K+ year each to employ (that's total employment costs, car, equipment, training in the US etc). Of course the parallel importers don't have to concern them with such things.

However it's a no-win situation. The parallel market will *always* be cheaper. It has to be, otherwise it wouldn't work. Surplus and bankrupt stock etc comes onto the market and it effectively didn't cost the seller anything. So the price thing becomes a spiral downwards.

The best bit is when, as happened a few months ago, a Purchasing Manager got sacked for buying $200K of product that turned out to be crap. It was all very dodgy - the purchasing trail was very complicated (friends of friends, we think). Our supplier made the company pay a licence fee (on threat of legal action) and they still couldn't use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom