Does a car battery need coding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jgy6000

Car
e350 Coupe CDI
Hi all,

Something new which has just come up, I have never seen it before.
A friend has a R172 SLK 250 cdi with start stop. He hasn't driven the car for about 6 months and the battery is now flat.
I had a look online and this car has what's called a AGM battery, which is suitable for start stop.

Not only is it really expensive at £150 but it says "Halfords Start/Stop batteries come fully charged and ready to fit. Most vehicles will require this battery to be registered with the on-board computer system, therefore professional fitting at a Halfords store is strongly recommended."

Fitting they charge at £25!

I have a trade card so I can pick up the battery for £120 and usually I would fit it myself. I can't find anything online about coding?

Has anyone replaced a battery recently?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a price from MB before you shell out, they can be very competitive and normally fit FOC

That's a good shout. They need to book the car in anyway to replace the injectors. I'm hoping that with a jump start and a good drive it will hold charge but planning for worst case.

Be careful jump starting!! Unless its being done by a professional of course as damage can occur to the electronics from what I have heard.

Isnt it just a case of the battery needing a full charge as an R172 cant be very old.

The system may well need recoding if its been run flat anyway.

The 'registration to the car' is no more than telling a car that an AGM battery is fitted; I think the charging regime is different from that for a conventional lead-acid battery. If the car was already programmed for an AGM battery, which it should have been if an AGM battery was fitted from new, it should not need re-programming, but if the existing battery going flat upset the programming, it might.

I just replaced both batteries in my CLS....main battery and aux back-up battery, was an independent that fitted them, my regular service guy,, no issues at all with replacing, just had to let the clock whirr round to correct time and then scan for radio stations, didn't need handling with kid gloves.

Reset (normalise) one touch windows and sunroof?

I had a battery fitted at my local indy a genuine MB battery and the cost was £140, fitting FOC, i thought it wasn't to bad considering the old MB battery had been on the car 11 years, i know you can get them cheaper but the long life on the old one tells you something.
Also didn't need coding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the coding is for the newer cars with start stop. Something about telling the car it has a new battery fitted and to treat it like a new battery or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone replaced a battery recently?

Thanks

Yes, on a SLC300, (R172) no coding and no problems. Get your battery from Tayna.com next day delivery.

EDIT: (Well that had me fooled, thread from 2016!)

My battery on my 320 D 2002 e46 Toiuring may need replacing. I was advised that for this it is NOT necessary to do an electronic engine reset following cutting off the electrical power supply.(unlike on later models). However it may be necessary to reset the radio using the code. I don't have the original code but was able to Google the steps required to get it. But I am not sure how to input it if and when the system asks me to do so. Help would be appreciated!
You are posting in a 7 year old thread. Always best to start a fresh one. 👍

Hello

MB advised me last service just over a year ago my mai battery needed replacing, As I do not use the car that often, iie daily and do little miles,
I said no thanks to the 425 quid.

A year on and the car had been parked up for several days as we have been away - i noted a hesitation.
The car was brand new when we got her 7.5 yrs ago and coming close to 21k miles

I, therefore, looked at a Halfords battery and one from Kiwikfit which was about 10 cheaper and fully fitted
I opted for the Halfords one fitted at a few pennies shy of 236 quid. It weighs 25.6kgs I think
and in an awkward position so I opened for supply and fitted

I am careful and dont want to put the key to the car one day and find a flat battery and with colder weather around the corner and us keeping the car for another 6 months i felt it was the best option

What won me over was the Halfords batteries are made by Varta (My reason for posting this is on many forums these fast fit places are not highly regarded, TBH, I dont highly regard my local MB but car does always get serviced by them - last time they told me I needed a new rear wiper blade when in fact I replaced it myself for 10 quid and the wanted 30 for work that was not required, a genuine mistake I guess

I will update if any probs

The W204/W212/R172 platform does not need batteries "coding in". The W213/W222/W205/etc platform requires you to do "Teach In" process in the front SAM using a diagnosis tool to tell the charging system the battery has been replaced. Hope that helps. R

Update
Had mine done a 2016 GLE 250d
Start-stop had not worked for years is now annoyingly working, so have to switch it off
The did have to code it but I did not ask if that was necessary or just what they do.

They dont need coding. They just need the fault memory erasing.

Hello

MB advised me last service just over a year ago my mai battery needed replacing, As I do not use the car that often, iie daily and do little miles,
I said no thanks to the 425 quid.

A year on and the car had been parked up for several days as we have been away - i noted a hesitation.
The car was brand new when we got her 7.5 yrs ago and coming close to 21k miles

I, therefore, looked at a Halfords battery and one from Kiwikfit which was about 10 cheaper and fully fitted
I opted for the Halfords one fitted at a few pennies shy of 236 quid. It weighs 25.6kgs I think
and in an awkward position so I opened for supply and fitted

I am careful and dont want to put the key to the car one day and find a flat battery and with colder weather around the corner and us keeping the car for another 6 months i felt it was the best option

What won me over was the Halfords batteries are made by Varta (My reason for posting this is on many forums these fast fit places are not highly regarded, TBH, I dont highly regard my local MB but car does always get serviced by them - last time they told me I needed a new rear wiper blade when in fact I replaced it myself for 10 quid and the wanted 30 for work that was not required, a genuine mistake I guess

I will update if any probs
Should have slow charged it, i doubt it needed replacing slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom