Does a diesel make sense?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just back from a 300 mile Christmas Day mainly M-way jaunt. Yippee, car smelling nicely of burnt rubber - the PDF regeneration you guys have been telling me about must have done its job!!! Phew!!:bannana::bannana:

These are statements I do not want to hear about my potential future car;)

Sure you do. Your new car will have a meticulously declogged DPF. I only drive it a couple of times a week, but now always makes sure it has a good blast to clear its throat...:thumb: I've never blown so much fuel for fun - diesel efficiency, hehl! :doh:.

(PS: I don't burn rubber on tyres if that's what you're worried about!!)

Last edited:
These are statements I do not want to hear about my potential future car;)

I've decided you're a car slut.

1st mine, then Mercy1's and then today there was another one - tart!

At 7k mile a year I wouldn't sniff at anything less than 5 litres, V8 would be a given along with super chargers, with that comes luxury, sumptious ride, lots and lots of buttons to press, etc etc etc............ before the "expensive" quip comes in may I put that to bed, having owned my little babe for over 2 years now with nothing really worth a mention running cost wise hense the reason I had her detailed a month ago for a treat:D:devil:

I'm in my first petrol car for 10 years and it is quite a change! The down side is that I have stuck over £800 worth of super unleaded down its throat in the last 6 weeks and done 2500 miles. The fact that it has about 620 bhp, tyres as wide as Texas and the aerodynamics of a town hall may have some part to play....:eek:
But I have been impressed that it will actually get over 20mpg on a cold traffic clogged, short commute round the North circular which my ML would probably only get about 25mpg. It has stop/start, but there is a huge difference in the shorter time it takes to get up to temerature compared to the 320CDI ML. I've actually got as much as 29mpg from it on a run up the M1 but as little as 8mpg during circuit testing with an F1 driver at the wheel:eek:
There is lots of interesting technology in both diesel and petrol and you alone are the one who can decide which is for you. I'm lucky to have both at the moment and I'm enjoying both for their different merits:)

8mpg for that scenario isn't that bad. I remember someones trip to the green hell in a CLK350 and they got the same. It sounds almost parcimonious for what it is.

However, as an enthusiast, there is "something" about a V8 that appeals and if I were to change car, I would look at the petrols again as I've got a new job and the shifts I work will mean I will commute by train, rather by car.
A petrol V8 in the same car you have now is like a totally different animal. The power delivery is actually quite similar to a diesel except the grunt starts earlier, finishes later, gets there quicker, there is more of it and it makes an amazing sound on the way. You'll have hot air coming out of the vents in about 30 seconds too...

Unless you have a car with astonishing fuel economy then the differences are hardly worth getting excited about; it's the least interesting fact about a car and frankly I'd rather discuss my home heating bills or council tax rates!

IMHO you're not a petrol-head unless you've owned a V8. If your car is no-longer for commuting then that's even more reason to get something fun!

Sold yet? If not I might nip out and record my car in the multi-storey for you...

7K Per Year a diesel makes no sense at all.

If not I might nip out and record my car in the multi-storey for you...

Do it anyway - even though I'm stuck with a diesel, I can still appreciate the sound of a proper engine.

I just prefer the power delivery and torque characteristics of a diesel, quite like the sound, prefer the smell of burnt diesel to that of burnt petrol, and dislike spending money at the pumps. Don't see me buying another petrol, although I enjoy my 'retired' W126 420SEL and E280T. But for a main vehicle and with a lot of European miles, where diesel is still cheaper than petrol, only diesel makes sense. The older less electronic ones are very reliable, and I find equally efficient as the new 'uns with chips in everything.
Just my two pen'uth.

A petrol V8 ...is a totally different animal.

The power delivery is actually quite similar to a diesel except the grunt starts earlier, finishes later, gets there quicker, there is more of it and it makes an amazing sound on the way. You'll have hot air coming out of the vents in about 30 seconds too...

Well said :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom