Does altering the clocks affect you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
As we're mostly spread around the UK does changing the clocks have any particular effect on your life. Personally I prefer the extra light in the morning but I know many are not keen on the idea.
I think many years ago there was a year when it didn't happen but can't remember the general outcome of the experiment

The clocks went back ? :wallbash:

Seriously...Breakfast TV reporting that the UK might adopt European Standard Time next year. I can just see that happening in Scotland. That'll be another devolved issue.

Much ado about nothing. Not switching gives a benefit that lasts under a month, and then only in more southerly parts. An idea with little traction, the ubiquitous hi-vis vest curing any issue of late afternoon children massacre.

The clocks went back ? :wallbash:

Seriously...Breakfast TV reporting that the UK might adopt European Standard Time next year. I can just see that happening in Scotland. That'll be another devolved issue.

Also as more cities and metropolitan areas get devolved powers it will be something for the over paid to yap about whilst drinking tea.

For me it takes a couple of days for my bio-rhythms sorted out. Anyway cricket needs more light, so that why the clocks go forward in the spring :bannana:

Darker earlier ?

Glad I have Bi-Xenons :)

As previously said, just something else to moan about .....

Some years ago I made several visits to a customer in Paris, Ilinois.

Now this place was not much more than a village and the nearest hotel was in Terre Haute, Indiana, about 30 minutes east of Paris and, more importantly, in a different time zone! Indiana is on eastern time, ilinois is on central time.

This was seriously wierd. Leave hotel at 08:30, arrive at work at 08:00. Leave work at 18:00, arrive at hotel at 19:30.

I remember the experiment and it being dropped because of a lot of hyped opposition, mainly about danger on school journeys as I recall. A great deal of fuss about nothing. So far as I am concerned I am happy for things to be left as they are. One hour is neither here nor there and most of us are used to readjusting to different time zones when we travel abroad anyway. Mind, living in one time zone and working in another - that must be strange!

I used to commute to work in The Netherlands and even though the flight was scheduled for more than hour I frequently used to land before I'd taken off.

Children going to school are probably more at risk from other mothers inability to drive than the darkness.

I remember it and not with any affection. Up in Northern Britain in the depths of winter daylight only started at past 9 oclock meaning most kids going to school did so in total darkness. The high vis vest / late afternoon kids massacre scenario Charles alluded to was all too real but occured in the morning rather than afternoon! There was one factor however that was crucial to safety and that was temperature. Before the sun came up cars were frozen solid, roads and pavements were still covered with a film of ice- I still remember scraping at my cars windscreen in the pitch black risking life and limb from passing vehicles be it semi comatose commuters, hyper mums on the school run and council gritters competing in some hideous death race 2000 scenario. Compare that to the afternoon where everything ---cars roads and people were " warmed up" and thus able to cope with falling darkness and temperature much better. Up here biorhythm and thermodynamic realities make for a strong arguement for retention of the status quo.

Just a pain in the ar*e changing all of the clocks and watch's and normally forget the heating clock.

Just a pain in the ar*e changing all of the clocks and watch's and normally forget the heating clock.

LOL. All done this morning, apart from Mrs Dms watch and the automatic ones.

I guess She'll be early for work tomorrow...

Only my Breitling needed setting, all other clocks are automatically adjusted.

IMHO we should simply stick with GMT and be done with it....

220px-Greenwich_clock.jpg

When we put the clocks back in winter we are reverting to the long established and historical GMT Greenwich Mean Time. This harks back to the time when Britain was the premier maritime nation for in order to calculate longitude anywhere in the world all naval Chronometers were set with respect to the time at the meridian running through Greenwich. So abandoning GMT would be abandoning a little bit of living heritage.
Greenwich Mean Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One little known fact for example is that all legislation passed in the UK is written with respect to GMT

Prime_meridian.jpg

154575-004-311073D0.jpg

Only my Breitling needed setting, all other clocks are automatically adjusted.

IMHO we should simply stick with GMT and be done with it....

I would go one step further; the whole world should be on GMT. All they have to do is adjust the time they do things according to daylight e.g. get up at 10am, work 12-8, dinner at 10, abed at 2am. Simples. :devil::D

I remember it and not with any affection. Up in Northern Britain in the depths of winter daylight only started at past 9 oclock meaning most kids going to school did so in total darkness.

I remember it too.

This is a reasonably balanced report - that also points out the difficulty of assessing the results because of other changes affecting accident rates.

BBC News - A question of time: changing the clocks

My own distant and fuzzy recollection of that period - I stayed variously in Yorkshire, Morayshire, and Renfrewshire in successive winters is that personally it made FA difference apart from the fact I prefered the brighter longer afternoons.

If the same thing was tried again I think more people would complain about the seasonal timezone difference variations doing business with Europe and US. We've got used to Europe being synchronised on the hour difference and almost being in sync with the US time zone differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom