Does anyone else have a problem with bikes on high beam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uumode

MB Enthusiast
Car
C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
Bikes that drive around with a constant high beam (pretty intense even in broad daylight) cuts quite sharply into my retinas (figure of speech) and my auto dipped mirror does not work in the daylight.

I can understand why they have them on in order to have a high visiblity, but surely it's against the law to have constant high beam in day and night.

Careful what you say about bikers .... some of them react aggressively .....;)

When I ride, I always have my main beam lights on, but not high beam.
Its a matter of be seen, or be dead unfortunatley.

If they're behind you on a reasonably fast road, just put your washers on for a few seconds.

I had some idiot tailgating me on a motorway once, he soon backed off after getting a faceful of soapy water.

I have to agree that they are quite anoying, but at least they get noticed, which I have to say isn't a bad thing.... :)

Ciao.

Its usually main beam but as they are accelerating it then does get in yer face and very annoying but like seamster15 said its a good way for them to be seen.
The worse bit is when im driving along quite happily and all of a sudden from what it seems like outta nowhere VROOOOOOOM past me scaring the shit outta me

against the highway code I think - dazzling - but do or die. I use my main beam only since I modded the second main beam to come on in addition to the poor old solitary beam. Before that it was high beam always.

Parrot of Doom said:
If they're behind you on a reasonably fast road, just put your washers on for a few seconds.

I had some idiot tailgating me on a motorway once, he soon backed off after getting a faceful of soapy water.

Great little trick for other cars, but would you be happy with a fatlilty on your conscience? Honestly if the the Biker is that stupid to be that close they could possible have their visior open, and the screen wash could temporarily blind them.......... :crazy:

It's an unavoidable problem on big squishy trailies...

Set the beam for normal useful vision, and as you wind on the throttle, the rear squats heavily, and you're signalling passing aircraft. Adjust it down to minimise this, and suddenly you can see feck all in normal riding. The Transalp was a bugger for this!

My main issue this weekend has been with the weekend warriors out for their Sunday blast...had one very nearly become a mascot on the front of the Integra after he tried a completely idiotic overtake and missed both myself and the oncoming car by about 4".

Last edited:
See below

Last edited:
uumode said:
Bikes that drive around with a constant high beam (pretty intense even in broad daylight) cuts quite sharply into my retinas (figure of speech) and my auto dipped mirror does not work in the daylight.

I can understand why they have them on in order to have a high visiblity, but surely it's against the law to have constant high beam in day and night.

Well I'm one of those aggressive, defensive bikers that Howard was referring to, but I'm with you completely on this one :D

Just yesterday I was approaching Manchester city centre (in my car) when a 600 sportsbike came the other way with his lights on full. I had white spots in front of my eyes for a good five minutes. It's pretty irritating at the best of times, but yesterday I was momentarily blinded, which could've been catastrophic :(

The attitude of most riders is that we have to ride defensively to avoid being killed by those who haven't seen us. To this end we position ourselves on the road in such a way as to maximise visibility and to ensure those pulling out of side roads can see us coming. The problem is, people still fail to see us, so many bikers use the full beam as a way of removing any possibility that they won't be seen. However I don't think they realise how powerful their lights can be - either that or they don't care.

Personally I just put the lights onto regular dipped beam and after that it's just a question of staying alert and not being a complete berk in built-up areas. However when I'm in the car and people on bikes come up to within inches of my back bumper with their lights blazing, I never cease to be amazed at their apparent surprise when I flick them the appropriate hand signals... :eek:

BearFace said:
I never cease to be amazed at their apparent surprise when I flick them the appropriate hand signals... :eek:

Strange one that...having nearly become a bonnet mascot on the front of the Teg, the idiot on the Blade flicked me the V's and disappeared...only for me to catch up with him at the pub :rock:

Kindly reminded him that riding like a ***** will get him killed, that in an argument with a car, he will lose badly, and that he should be grateful I saw him coming and gave him enough space to get away with his stupidity.
Got the usual response of "Oh, you're just a bloody boy racer, what would you know", so I showed him my driving licence, resplendent with Cat A, at which point he went rather quiet :devil:

Kinda unleashed the full riot act at him, in front of the rest of the patrons, which will hopefully shame him into being a little less stupid next time round.

I do like I mentioned in my original post, understand the need for high visibity for a biker. Driving around with constant (powerful) high beam is safer from the bike perspective, but blinding for anyone else. I don't have a problem with normal main beam but high beam leaves you with temporarily impaired vision if caught full on.

Generally speaking, a lot of bikes are black, and people wear dark or black clothing/leathers. It would be a step in the visibility direction to wear something fluorescent like a yellow jacket like what some push bikers wear with fluorescent stickers/reflectors on the bike... but that would be 'un' cool. Police bikes have high visibility because they are white in colour, with fluorescent reflectors and bits, the rider also has a fluorescent jacket on, I don't believe the police bikes ride with high beam on. (but to be fair they have a flashing blue light and siren :) ) ... perhaps bikes could have an option of strobing green lights :), better option than constant high beam? (some push bikes have low powered strobing lights because they don't have the benefit of high beam).

Main problem of course is idiotic drivers who don't look out for bikes, which force them to use high beam (as mentioned be seen or die), but also to some bikers who perhaps perform some rather ambitious overtaking moves.
So you get your good drivers, and bad drivers, good bikers and bad bikers.

uumode said:
Generally speaking, a lot of bikes are black, and people wear dark or black clothing/leathers. It would be a step in the visibility direction to wear something fluorescent.

I am not a biker but I am an occasional cyclist and have always been concilatory to bikers with high beams given that they need to be seen.
Nevertheless you make some good points about visibility and strobing lights.
It probably won't be too long though before vehicle detection and avoidance technolgy creates options to improve biker safety.

BonzoDog said:
I am not a biker but I am an occasional cyclist and have always been concilatory to bikers with high beams given that they need to be seen.
Nevertheless you make some good points about visibility and strobing lights.
It probably won't be too long though before vehicle detection and avoidance technolgy creates options to improve biker safety.

I have noticed over the years (subjective to me) that the quality of the level of driving has dropped substantially, especially on the motorways.

Many drivers don't bother to indicate anymore, and just move into the (tight) space infront of me. (I'm still not sure if they didn't see me [car] or if they just intentionally wanted to move in without indicating!) So it's understandable why some bikers use high beam, (but we need an alternative solution maybe) especially if those drivers can't see a full blown car!

uumode said:
.. perhaps bikes could have an option of strobing green lights :).

Green strobes/flashing lights are for doctors not bikers.

uumode said:
I have noticed over the years (subjective to me) that the quality of the level of driving has dropped substantially, especially on the motorways.

Many drivers don't bother to indicate anymore, and just move into the (tight) space infront of me. (I'm still not sure if they didn't see me [car] or if they just intentionally wanted to move in without indicating!) So it's understandable why some bikers use high beam, (but we need an alternative solution maybe) especially if those drivers can't see a full blown car!

It's a while since I have lived in the UK but statistics indicate continental driving is at least twice as bad as UK. My favourite move locally is to watch people go from the outside lane to the exit slip in one move over the chevrons and blindly pulling across the front of trucks. Of course there are accidents but there is little to no policing. My driving is completely defensive in these situations aimed at avoiding trouble. But I seem to remember a thread on this topic some time ago. Regarding the 'blind spot' which you mention, even though the Murky B has excellent mirrors I still sometimes find myself not noticing cars. I drill myself to look over my shoulder and plan my overtaking but now and agin I guess I just forget.
Bikers though drive down the middle and cars diverge away from them here. By memory this is the opposite of UK and I am glad when they put their lights on because, despite years of such driving, I am still not totally used to this.
Also when cars flash their lights it seems to mean take care, rather than go ahead - somewhat dodgy for bikers.

BonzoDog said:
It's a while since I have lived in the UK but statistics indicate continental driving is at least twice as bad as UK. My favourite move locally is to watch people go from the outside lane to the exit slip in one move over the chevrons

In Belgium on Friday we nearly got taken out by an airborne Golf estate which left it even later and tried to cut across the grass at about 80 mph :eek:. Unfortunately for them there was a ditch or something in the middle and the car took off. My OH watched the whole thing in horror (it was on her side - RHD car) ... I just saw it land in front of us, upright and spinning, in a cloud of water/steam/grass/etc.

We looked at the grass after subsequent junctions and quite often saw tyre tracks going across!

uumode said:

Interesting thread as we all fit our super dooper ultra bright xenons etc to our cars:D :D :D

That we drive around with on dipped and adjusted correctly and that aren't at rear window height ( unless you have a G wagon or an ML ) ;)

I don't personally, my car is still fitted with the tallow candles it came with as standard ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom