Does anyone have problems with Orange Network

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by 215m3, Feb 12, 2009.

1. 215m3

215m3 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C43 AMG
    I took out a contract with Orange and i have had nothing but problems. I could stand within 400m of a mobile phone mast with 30 receivers and the phone would take 15 minutes to get a signal. It drops calls and then takes upto 5 minutes to get a signal again.

Orange changed the phone 3 times and then sent me a replacement. The replacement is not what i wanted, but have no choice with it. I copied over the contacts from my old phone and due to the other phones operating system i now have to add loads of numbers manually.

Is there anyway of terminating a contract, without paying for it?

I wish i had never joined thenm and am very bitter about them.

2. gina2201

gina2201 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    How long have you had the contract for? I thought it was only 14 days from taking out the contract you are able to cancel it with no strings.

After that, you have to pay for the months you want to cancel up to you contracted term? Not 100% sure though.

3. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Yep I had major issues... was fine in London but when i moved back to the midlands, the reception was terrible... changed to voda in the end.

4. OP
    OP
    215m3

Car:
    C43 AMG
    i can watch the signal in the one position and it will have 3 bars then none then 2 then none. It does not sit at one signal.

5. dino645

dino645 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes E320 CE/ML270
    I used to have Orange and the signal was cr*p. I live in a blackspot where clouds affect reception. Vodafone is the best I've found.

Don't expect Orange to be helpful, but you may find putting your sim into an old handset works. I found a remarkable difference changing from a Nokia N95 to an old Nokia I had in a drawer from a few years back. Saying that N95's are rubbish

6. OP
    OP
    215m3

Car:
    C43 AMG
    I'm just waiting for the girl to get home and see what her vodafone signal is as it is mainly 1 bar reception.

Is there nothing i can do, other than suffer it until the contract runs out in 19 months?

I feel it does not meet with what it was sold to me as. I would understand not getting a great reception on dartmoor, but i am on the outskirts of Edinburgh, near Livingston.

7. dino645

dino645 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes E320 CE/ML270
    I have been in various phoneshops, and they tell me that reception won't be a problem for me, but I know from people coming over using different networks that there isn't a half chance of getting reception.

I think it is a valid point that if you are told by the provider that you will receive good coverage, and in actual fact you don't, there could be a legitimately acceptable reason for you to be allowed to cancel the contract.

You should take this up with someone at Orange - as senior as you can get, and if you don't have any success, then maybe a quick call to trading standards? I know they are a big company, but consumers have a right to be given the product they were promised.

8. et0609

et0609 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350
    I would imagine their terms and conditions will cover themselves for any poor quality service, normally they just say they cannot guarantee no loss of signal anywhere.

Best thing to do I would say is to speak to someone and request they look into the problem. In your area you should would expect a pretty good signal, having said that, where we lived in Brighton, the signal was poor also.

If you keep losing the signal during a call, I think theres a way they know how often its happening and can tell you why. I would think that they could let you out of the contact penalty free if they really wanted to. Its like everything with these big firms, you have to keep hassling them until they listen.

9. mw_C32

mw_C32 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Ask how much it is to get released from the contract and compare it against going onto the lowest possible tarriff for the next 19 months, I think some are around £7-£10 per month, then get another contract with another provider.

You can get free PAYG simms from any service provider, put them into your phone and check signal in the areas you need it....

M.

10. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Assuming your phone is unlocked ....

11. OP
    OP
    215m3

Car:
    C43 AMG
    I compared against vodafone and it had a full signal.

I will still hassle them or just keep claiming on the insurance policy to annoy them.

12. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    What phone is it - if it's a 3g one then try locking it to 3g or 2g only.

13. kjay

kjay Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C200k Coupe 2003
    Depends on the area I suppose, but I always had trouble with Vodafone and Orange. Been on T-mobile for a few years now - very few times have I been without signal.

14. AANDYY

AANDYY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
    On a similar vein.
    I listen to a lot of talk stations and when listeners call in, I,ve noticed a deterioration of call quality over past 5 or so years, you'd think it would get better!

Blackpool has a bad T-Mobile area!

15. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
  16. jadefox

jadefox Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLA AMG 220 CDI
    I live in a pretty urban area - and my orange reception is dire too - I went into the Orange shop and complained and they told me it was a problem to do with the signal strength....APPARENTLY since all that whoohaa about the signals frying your brain like microwaves blaa blaa, there ewas then some legislation brought out about the strength of the transmitters singnals, Orange then turned all of their signal boosters down, but a few years later there were new guidelines saying it was deemed safe to have them on a higher strength, but Orange had chosen not to turn theirs back up - the woman in the shop said they had been getting complaint after complaint about it and they were taking peoples names and addresses in their branch in order to put a kind of petition together to try to get it sorted.

At one stage my service was so bad i wrote to Orange to see if i could get out of the contract, I had been with them for 5 months at that stage. They said I could if i had absolutely no service, but because i was getting (a very patchy) 1 - 2 bars I was still getting some service.

About a month later the service suddenly improved! I now regularly get 3 or 4 bars - although sometimes i can tell when they are doing work to the transmitters because i lose the signal for a few hours. :-/

So yes, I think i can conclude that orange is rather pants - and I have Vodaphone in the car with no problems whatsoever!! If it wasn't for the fact that everyone had my number on the orange on and i am still tied into a contract i'd have got shot al ong time ago!

17. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    Down here on the south coast, Orange is great - better than any of the others :)

It works fine in all the little villages and rural areas where Vodafone struggles to get coverage.

I guess it all depends where you live

18. robert.saunders

robert.saunders Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E300TD
    Andy, where you are located - can you sometimes roam onto French networks?

19. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    I've never tried :)

We are in Bexhill - between Hastings and Eastbourne

20. robert.saunders

robert.saunders Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E300TD
    I tried it once on Beachy Head but didn't manage it; however, it does work in Dover I found out ;)