Does anyone know anything about Freelanders ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WLeg

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB GLC250
Like where the pollen filter is ?

:confused:

found the answer, on a USA Freelander forum.

searching through (was looking for tips on servicing the beast), I came accross this:

The owners manual lists about 5 different oil brands and weights - use one of them! (I'm running Castrol Syntec full synthetic 5w50) I think the Mobil 1 is 10w40 - check the manual. It takes 6 1/2 quarts.

It's stiil expensive doing it yourself:
Oil about $25
Filter $9
Washer $1

http://www.freelanderliving.com/bb_board/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1407

Can anyone work out the quantity they are refering to..... I can't remember the old stuff...... Is it 6 Half quarts, or six and a half quarts or mind is going..!!!

And $35 for a oil change on a 2.5l V6.....that's about £22.00, and they complain ???

The 2.5 V6 holds 5.2 litres and a 10w-40 semi-syn is the recommended oil.

You have a Freelander?

I also have one, a 1.8 petrol. At the moment it is languishing at the dealer having a new cylinder head gasket at 48000 miles.

Not a problem that I have experienced with my CLK.....

Paul G

Paul Grainger said:
You have a Freelander?

I also have one, a 1.8 petrol. At the moment it is languishing at the dealer having a new cylinder head gasket at 48000 miles.

Paul G

Unfortunately that is a too common occurrence with the Rover K-series engines, for some reason it happens more to the Freelanders than the cars, perhaps the engines work harder in the Freelander.

Paul Grainger said:
You have a Freelander?

Paul G

That's why they're called Off Roaders ;) :D

Paul Grainger said:
You have a Freelander?

Paul G

That was on watchdog. I think ford were doing some goodwill thing with the land rover customers over it. Might be worth investigation.

Its something to do with the crappy gasget they use. Its like a silicon beading around the edge of the engine that breaks up or similar. Its a known problem anyways , Rover won't admit its a problem and land rover who use the same K series engines have admited it :eek:

Have heard the same, about the 1.8 - Don't think it's a problem with the 2.5.

Jimmy - thanks for the info.

Richard W said:
Know enough about them now, not to buy one..... ;)

We were thinking of getting one, diesel of course! but have been advised against it as they are very unreliable.

Saying that my mum and mum-in-law are both on their second Freelanders and have had no problems. One is the TD4 the other the 1.8, I think they are nice, better ride than the Discos.

On a more serious note - we did try one when I was selling the ML, a TD4 version to see what they were like now BMW and Ford have had a go at the reliability issues.

Honest opinion is that they're not all that bad, just don't have that 'quality' feel that Merc/BMW/Audi/VW give you. Point in particular was the 'bottle holders' in the front doors that felt as if they would come off after a couple of uses, and the really 'iccy' (technical term used by my wife) plastic used on the dash etc.

We decided we didn't really use the 4wd to the extent that merited another one - hence the move back to an estate car....

The freelander is my wifes car. You are all correct about the 'quality' of the interior - but it really is a great car to drive and is much more lively than other 4x4 cars that I have owned (Range Rover, Discovery). We bought the car knowing about the enginer reliability issues, but the dealer gave us a good warranty and the current repairs are all being paid for by them.
The K-series engine is actually quite well engineered and a smooth, high output / high torque unit. The problem is related to localised cylinder head overheating that occurs before the thermostat opens. More recent engines have a design mod (relocated thermostat), my engine now has the same mod. What also doesn't help is the incredibly long (and stretchy) cylinder head bolts - these go right into the base of the block.

Paul G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom