Does anyone regret selling a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I sold my XFR as I wasn’t driving it enough and now really miss it.. :( I’d love it back for weekends…

Anyone else sold a car then regretted it?

I sold my XFR as I wasn’t driving it enough and now really miss it.. :( I’d love it back for weekends…

Anyone else sold a car then regretted it?
Cue lots of posts about Cossies, Integrales, MK1 RS Turbos etc.
The whole thread will be about ££££££

Last edited:
Yes.

W211 E240 Avantgarde that brought me to this forum back in 2006.

Best car I have ever had and I think that I will ever have had. It wasn't the fastest or most glamourous MB. But it was smooth and practical and comfortable and quick enough on A and B roads despite its size.

So wish I hadn’t sold my R172 SLK 55 18 months ago , discovered I needed a pacemaker just afterwards so my feeling past it was in fact my heart running at 30 bpm 😂 , once it was installed I felt normal again. Unfortunately had by then spent the cash on a major house refurbishment 😥

The whole thread will be about ££££££
Hopefully not. If people sell things they don’t need but then turn out to be valuable in the future, the reality is that the ones fetching money now are absolutely not in the condition that the ones disposed of 20+ years ago would be in now.

Distress sales will always be regretted, so they’re hopefully out of the picture too.

I never regret selling a vehicle because there was always a good reason to do so at the time. I do remember the good times that I had when I owned some of them, but that’s very different.

The sale of the late Mrs. J's W210 E430 Facelift (with all the extras) still pains me.
The car had everything from a powerful 4.3 litre V8 to all the lovely toys.
I used to sit there in awe of the car and miss it greatly ...... Not to mention its former owner.
BUT
I sold it for the right reasons - The E280 cdi was my work-horse and the E430 was not really getting used.
AND
I've always stuck by the principle - - - - Never be sentimental about old cars
BUT .........

E430 1.jpg

No. Buy it, use it, replace it.

However if I had the money to do so, I’d have a nice collection of cars that I've never had but like.

My taste is very eclectic and ranges from a Sunbeam Tiger to those ‘gangsta’ American V8s.

I don't regret selling it, it was the right time to move it on, but I do miss my E91 3 Series Touring. It wasn't stupidly expensive to run, looked good, was engaging to drive without being hard work and did pretty much everything I asked of it.
Can't ask for much more really.

Hopefully not. If people sell things they don’t need but then turn out to be valuable in the future, the reality is that the ones fetching money now are absolutely not in the condition that the ones disposed of 20+ years ago would be in now.

Distress sales will always be regretted, so they’re hopefully out of the picture too.

I never regret selling a vehicle because there was always a good reason to do so at the time. I do remember the good times that I had when I owned some of them, but that’s very different.
I'm with you on this one. I've never regretted selling any car. I do like cars but can't get emotionally attached.
This attitude has been reinforced by working in motorsport where most of the cars are just a set of components which come together for an event and then return to kit form. This is usually in the hands of the mechanics, but sometimes the drivers!
Also, being lucky enough to have had a long stream of new company cars which normally 'have' to be replaced before 9k miles means I hardly have time to bond with a car.

Not exactly regret, but we got a lot of enjoyment out of our SLK200 (R171 facelift), met some very nice people through the SLKworld forum. It never missed a beat and I never needed to lay a spanner on it during the whole time we had it (7-years). So even though we now have the MX5 (not bought as a replacement), which is also a lot of fun but in a different way, we still miss the SLK a bit.

I sold my CLK320 CAB recently and whilst I love driving the VXR, I really did enjoy the CLK. As the new owner drover her away I was watching her drive away for the last time and it really felt like a loss

Yes....with one or two exceptions, pretty much every car I've owned....there were one or two boring exceptions that I never gelled with, but usually I get attached to my cars and most end up modded in one way or another which makes me even less keen to get rid! As said about money comes into it.....many of the cheap Fords I owned early on would be worth quite a bit of cash now.....but were just cheap old cars at the time. That said I must have had somewhere between 30 and 40 cars in my 37 years of driving (often more than one at a time and that excludes all the company Audi and VW when I was selling and the 20 or so bikes!!)....so I do manage to sell them without actually needing counselling..........eventually!!

Yes - Back in the 80's I sold my Aston Martin DB6 Volante Vantage Short Chassis Manual. I got a good price, £55k, ten times what I had paid for it, today it's worth in excess of £600k! I used the proceeds of sale to buy a house which has appreciated but at nowhere that rate.

I did it a second time - this time to raise funds after a divorce, when I was forced to sell my Jaguar Xk150 DHC to enable me to retain my home.

The good thing which came a few years later, was my decision to buy my SL, which I could afford, rather than another XK150 which would have been more difficult, both to buy & maintain.

NJSS

Back in my youth, traded in my Lotus Europa for a 3 litre Capri. As I drove out of the garage I said to myself what have you done. Hated it.:wallbash: Couldn't blame a mid life crisis, I was only 23:oops:

My taste is very eclectic and ranges from a Sunbeam Tiger to those ‘gangsta’ American V8s.
That and my Citroen DS23 Safari are the two cars I regret selling, not for financial gain reasons but because I had no choice at the time.

I do bond with cars and maintain them properly which is why I don't like to sell them, hence having too many. That said, there is now an unnecessary overlap, but I will struggle to whittle down. S211 E500 or R320L? Both great in their own way with things the other can't offer, and I've had a 96 SL500 for 18 years that never gets used other than at mot time. Help!!!

This is easy - bitterly regret selling my E46 M3, which part funded a house sale/wedding. I would have another tomorrow if I could, preferably a CSL, but any of them would do at this point. So different to my current car, like a surgical instrument in the corners, but still capable of swift progress despite 'only' having 343hp.

I only regretted one, my VX220, although it was awful in winter, heater was like being blown on by a mouse, and if it snowed, well i took my life into my own hands each day going to work

Attachments

• VX220.jpg
    VX220.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 1
One I DON’T regret selling is my money pit of a Volvo C70. But I do miss having a droptop...

The only car i really regret selling was my old Alfa Sprint Cloverleaf 1712. I didn't sell it so much as gave it to the insurance company after it was hit by a BMW. It was borderline repairable and i could have kept it but took the cash. I got what i had paid for it 5 years before but it was quite simply the most fun car ive ever had. My first Alfa as well, which started a lifelong passion. Not the quickest but for driving enjoyment at not silly speeds it was a joy. In the wet you could provoke it into beautifully controllable oversteer using a bit of trailing brake and just steer on the throttle. Id just bought my first house and thought i should buy something a bit more sensible with the cash - a Pug 106 which was horrible. The Alfa did need cash thrown at it quite a lot so at the time it seemed the right thing to do. What i really miss was the ability to slide it around. All the fun cars ive had since have just been too good for the road so ultimately less fun, though much quicker. It was so light, and just blipping the throttle the car would rock side to side. The Alfa boxer on carbs and open trumpets (yes i know but i was young!) revved so sweetly and sounded glorious. I had an Ansa exhaust which also sounded fruity.

There is a positive though - after the Pug i vowed never to buy a car i didn't actually want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom