Does anyone use Contactless payment cards or other digital payment such as Apple PAy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 149005

So far I have resisted and this changes further undermines the practical value of such services.

A Brussels crackdown on contactless payments could cause mass confusion for millions of customers and trigger a €57bn (£48bn) hit to businesses across Europe, experts have warned.
The new Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) rules require banks to verify a customer’s identity every time they make payments totalling €100 (£85).
It means that if customers breach this limit through repeated contactless card payments, they will be forced to type their pin into a machine.

EU rules limiting contactless payments leave customers baffled

I would use Apple Pay if I could get the bloody thing to work.

i use my contactless bank card for small buys
i have no issue with a PIN verification every £85 if it enhances security and limits fraud

i also like the new app functionality that allows one to temporaily suspend the card (rather than go for all out cancellation) if you think you have misplaced it (rather than confirmed loss / theft)

I use my mobile phone for contactless payments as well as contactless debit card.

I would have thought that the mobile banking app or SMS to mobile would be 2 factor authentication.

Contactless payments (other than Apple Pay) are max £30 so will not be affected

I think the measures proposed require an check each time the cumulative spend reaches c£85 - not per individual transaction

I use ApplePay. There is no £30 limit on transactions if the retailer is an ApplePay partner. It wouldn’t bother me if they verified transactions over £85. In fact my bank, first direct normally call soon after I make an ApplePay transaction if it’s over a certain amount and not from a retailer I regularly use.

I read the link as far as the bit where they suggest that customers will walk away rather than be baffled by having to enter a PIN and gave up.

This has always been in place to some degree but you'll only notice if you make a lot of contactless payments in a short space of time.

I have only linked my Revolut card to ApplePay as I can control how much is available to spend on it as it is a prepaid debit.

The biggest impact of SCA was that it was meant to require verification for online credit card purchases. I have had new credit cards and PIN token sent to me but have not once been asked to use it yet but we are only just in the implementation window.

I read the link as far as the bit where they suggest that customers will walk away rather than be baffled by having to enter a PIN and gave up.

I mean, how are we going to get customers used to that??:D

Last edited:
So far I have resisted and this changes further undermines the practical value of such services.

A Brussels crackdown on contactless payments could cause mass confusion for millions of customers and trigger a €57bn (£48bn) hit to businesses across Europe, experts have warned.
The new Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) rules require banks to verify a customer’s identity every time they make payments totalling €100 (£85).
It means that if customers breach this limit through repeated contactless card payments, they will be forced to type their pin into a machine.

We are no longer part of the EU, it may well turn out to be a piece of legislation we do not adopt in the UK?

We are no longer part of the EU, it may well turn out to be a piece of legislation we do not adopt in the UK?

We have already adopted it. Banking regulation tends to be pretty standardised no matter where you are due to the global nature of payments.

FCA

Brexit and SCA
The implementation of Strong Customer Authentication is European-wide. The current plans to leave the EU will not affect this process.

I use ApplePay extensively - in fact I only use a chip & PIN card payment if the retailer doesn’t accept ApplePay or has a £30 transaction limit on it and the transaction value is higher.

I practically ONLY use Apple Pay these days, some retailers like Shell have lifted the limit for Apple Pay.

I only reach for my wallet (which I don’t carry half the time) if the (rare) retailer doesn’t accept contactless (I’ve yet to find one) or still imposes the silly £30 limit. :)

The contactless total £85 total limit only applies to physical cards and does NOT apply to Apple Pay as it requires authentication by the means of Face ID/Touch ID/Password

Reactions: GLK
I use contactless for small purchases in both UK and LT.

I will not use it again on London Underground though unless I'm sure there is no one in close proximity. Last time I did so my card got cloned and was used to try to spend £500 in Boots o_O

I read afterwards that it is possible for scammers to pick up the signal and card details as it's being used. There always seems to be a downside to new technology that is supposed to make life simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom