Does being FWD as opposed to RWD put you off the new A class?

FWD or RWD that is the choice for an A Class

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You might not have noticed, but all A Class have been FWD... ;)

Less so for the A-class as this is targeted at the 2nd car / wifey market. However the CLA is a Belmont too far.

Still the 4wd version will give Impreza / Evo drivers something to play in... as they would be too scared to go 135i / C / F30 / etc

You might not have noticed, but all A Class have been FWD... ;)

Agree but think Steve is (rightly) pointing out that the orig 2 versions were aimed at a very different market to the 3rd gen which is chasing "sporty" / "enthusiast" rather than 60+ and smells funny.

I've tried to ad a poll. It's not let me, I'll try again.

I've noticed but the new one meant to be more driver pleasure focused as you'll be aware, not a pensioners box to get to bingo and back.

Isn't the Ford Focus meant to be the best handling car in it's class and pretty good all against all others.

Dieselman said:
Isn't the Ford Focus meant to be the best handling car in it's class and pretty good all against all others.

BMW 1 series still pips it to the post according to a recent autoexpress group test. Want ultimate driver enjoyment in the segment, get the BMW

It is highly rated - but the reality is that the A is pitching 10-15k higher cost terms - so you would really have to want one to pay that much.

FWD hatches have their place... but magazine rarely test them against cars from other segments for similar money..

I suspect that if you tested a Focus 2.0d and an A220cdi vs a 320d or even the long in the tooth now (compared with the others) W204 they would not win.

The F30 and upcoming w205 will be miles ahead.

redbaron said:
It is highly rated - but the reality is that the A is pitching 10-15k higher cost terms - so you would really have to want one to pay that much.

FWD hatches have their place... but magazine rarely test them against cars from other segments for similar money..

I suspect that if you tested a Focus 2.0d and an A220cdi vs a 320d or even the long in the tooth now (compared with the others) W204 they would not win.

The F30 and upcoming w205 will be miles ahead.

They could have based the new A on a shortened w205 RWD platform too, it's probably near completion.

Actually I suspect c classes to come will be fwd and based on future a class

I hope I am no straying too far off thread here. We thought about a 1 series before choosing the A Class for my wifes car and both thought it looked awkwardly styled versus the A. In addition we didnt want to be branded BMW drivers ( childish maybe but there you go ). For the same reasons an A3 was even more of a no go.
For a small family car we didnt have ultimate driving car handling near the top of the list but time will tell if we chose wisely.
When the poll is up I will vote.

I had far too much snow in my F30 in the snow last night... summer tyres, all assists off.. job jobbed. You can have fun in fwd - my Octavia is fwd but it is a different fun and not 30-35k's worth.

As for 4wd. It is for talentless oafs. It is fine for off roading - that is its job. However I fail to see / do not want to see / will not consider / the point for a car.

No front wheel drive voting option ?
4WD is not really needed for a modestly powered family car surely ?

I hope I am no straying too far off thread here. We thought about a 1 series before choosing the A Class for my wifes car and both thought it looked awkwardly styled versus the A. In addition we didnt want to be branded BMW drivers ( childish maybe but there you go ). For the same reasons an A3 was even more of a no go.
For a small family car we didnt have ultimate driving car handling near the top of the list but time will tell if we chose wisely.
When the poll is up I will vote.

Which is a perfectly reasonable decision making process.. No one is saying that the car is bad. I like the shape and if the OH wanted one - she would get it. (She has a 1er)

What Steve is asking is whether as an enthusiast purchase for driving pleasure would FWD really be your choice?

Not too fussed either way, but the A-class needs a USP to make people buy it in volumes. Just having a star on the bonnet wouldn't be enough for me. Economy, refinement, engineering, design, package all need to be answered against its rivals.

Thanks redbaron I understand. But you would need to spend a lot of time at or near the limit on public roads for that to matter in reality. Do many family car drivers actually do that with any sort of regularity ? If they do there is the 1 series and if not then pretty much all its competition.
Car choice is so subjective and we all have different needs and preferences - hence the poll. Clarkson hated the mk 2 Civic Type R and the CLC and I loved mine and my wife her CLC - chacun a son gout

It's more to do with feel and feedback and rwd cars deliver this at ordinary speeds compared to fwd cars. They're just nicer to drive and this is not at Ken Block G attack mode.

I think MBs missed a trick. I'll not buy an A class because of it, and if it were rwd I probably would have.

Looks like you need to wait for the fire breathing 4WD version to get here then Steve !

You don't have the "don't mind either way" option in the poll...that would be me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom