Does Comand fit the 124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloodmoon

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde
...or is the centre console too narrow? All this talk about Comand, Sat Nav and assorted gadgetry is making me drool.

--
Antony

You're not going to get Comand to fit in the 124 dash, it's too narrow under the headunit to get a double-din unit to fit. Try searching for Japanese modded 124s, they love double-din units like comand and it's possible someone has made enough mods to fit something. The alternative is you change the lower part of your dash, swap it with the w201 lower dash section which will definitely have enough room for comand, and is available in the same trim and wood etc as yours. How's that for a radical mod? :)

What? Comand fits a 190E but not the 124 series??? How can that be :(

You're right though, that *is* a radical mod. Still, I'm sure stranger things have happened...

--
Antony

Has anyone heard of command being fitted to a 129 series SL.

Originally posted by bloodmoon
What? Comand fits a 190E but not the 124 series??? How can that be :(
The w201 has a wider lower dash section than the w124, what can I say?
Originally posted by Tan
Has anyone heard of command being fitted to a 129 series SL.
Nope, but if it has a single din width "cubby hole" under the headunit then it can prolly be fitted, by someone brave :)

I have a Comand in my W201, and I've seen pics of a Comand-unit "installed" in an R129 - the switches below the radiohole was moved behind the gear selector.......

How much would a comand system like this cost? And how much would the centre console mod cost for a W124?

Munkee said:
How much would a comand system like this cost? And how much would the centre console mod cost for a W124?

I read in a German forum that for the W124 you can obtain a speed pulse signal from the instrument cluster but that it needed a sine wave to square wave signal adaptor.

can you repeat that in english!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just so u know I'm a bit of a novice but slowly learning!

Munkee said:
can you repeat that in english!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just so u know I'm a bit of a novice but slowly learning!

All I read was this ..........

Putting an APS into a W124 caused all sorts of problems with the speed signal. There were wires but none of them seemed to make sense to the SAT/NAV unit.

So they ended up pulling a connection from the speedo wire but it needed a signal converter to provide the crucial signal needed by the sat/nav.

If the signal is not in the correct format it will not provide the correct function.

Now MBenzNL is an expert in any case and he may have a faster method.

Almost all w124 dashboards are too narrow to accommodate the comand unit, you would need to find a taxi-console, or maybe the lower dash from another model such as the 126.

Shude said:
Almost all w124 dashboards are too narrow to accommodate the comand unit, you would need to find a taxi-console, or maybe the lower dash from another model such as the 126.

That would make sense. The one I read was an APS-30 install (1 din)

miro said:
That would make sense. The one I read was an APS-30 install (1 din)
How wrong was I? The w126 is also unsuitable!

Attachments

• 126taxi.jpg
    126taxi.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom