Does Command have speed cameras as POI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Please excuse my ignorance but does Command have speed cameras database?

Thanks
Ian

Not on Mine :mad: as I found out to my cost

Thanks
Ian

dont know about the very latest ones, but one for your W210 wont have them

Thanks
Ian
No sadly it doesn't. And it doesn't have 7 figure postcodes either. Pretty archaic really. You need a Garmin to be on the pace. Great machines.

Thanks
Ian

Only the model year 2009 cars onwards have 7 digit postcode support but still no 'Safety' camera database though.

No sadly it doesn't. And it doesn't have 7 figure postcodes either. Pretty archaic really. You need a Garmin to be on the pace. Great machines.

x2-MB and BMW both recommend Garmin as the after market satnav of choice. My basic does the job well.

For more sophisiticated speed camera detection you need to go the Road Angel, Snooper etc route.

Only the model year 2009 cars onwards have 7 digit postcode support but still no 'Safety' camera database though.

Isnt this just a software thing?...if my command has 5 digit postcode, can't you do a most up to date dvd disc upgrade to allow you to search full postcode?...

Is there no way to upgrade the command to allow this?

Not unless MB release it. I'm pretty sure that the disks are encrypted. I think that some BMW's are different, and there is a way to get speed camera's as POI. I don't think it is very legal though!

The problem with speed camera databases is that there are illegal in some european countries. In France they are certainly illegal.

I use an Origin B2 in the UK but if it were spotted by a French copper, in France, it would be confiscated.

If MB fitted the camera warnings into the COMAND system then everytime a Merc was seen in France they would stop it and, if you had COMAND, rip it out or impound the car!

This is why, my trusted friend at MB tells me, they don't have anything to do with camera databases!

The problem with speed camera databases is that there are illegal in some european countries. In France they are certainly illegal.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong, but would welcome a correction.

I know the laser camera detectors are illegal, and often confiscated, in France, but I've never heard that the location based systems are illegal.

Last edited:

I use an Origin B2 in the UK but if it were spotted by a French copper, in France, it would be confiscated.

If MB fitted the camera warnings into the COMAND system then everytime a Merc was seen in France they would stop it and, if you had COMAND, rip it out or impound the car!

This is why, my trusted friend at MB tells me, they don't have anything to do with camera databases!

As far as I know that's wrong. It's an offence to have a detector in the car (even switched off), but POIs on your satnav are fine.

You could possibly be right about a device like the B2 though because it doesn't serve any purpose other than warning of speed cameras.

Nope, thats why I got a Snooper S2000 proline as well.

GPS based camera detection systems such as POI's on Sat Nav's are definitely illegal in France and a few other countries, Switzerland springs to mind, friends Tom Tom unit was confiscated by the traffic Gendarmes a couple of years ago on the way back from Le Mans. Get caught with a laser / radar detector and you are looking at serious fines and even having your car seized. I have 2 European Maps for my Tom Tom a clean one and one with cameras as POI's and am very careful where I use them.

It would be nice... if someone could unlock the Comand POI database (probably its only CSV), so we could errr add a new category :D

Update

It would appear the law in France has been changed due to a sucessful court challenge on GPS devices. Apparently the position is now it is legal to use GPS warning devices in France as they recognise it contributes to road safety, it is still illegal however to use / have in the car radar or laser detectors. Switzerland still has a ban on all camera alert or radar / laser detection systems.

As far as I know that's wrong. It's an offence to have a detector in the car (even switched off), but POIs on your satnav are fine.

You could possibly be right about a device like the B2 though because it doesn't serve any purpose other than warning of speed cameras.

This is certainly true in France, I had my Valentine One ripped from my car, even though I wasn't in it at the time (French plod saw it through the windscreen when I was parked up). I got fined €750 for owning it AND €750 for using it. They also destroyed it in front of my eyes (another £500 effectively).

This is certainly true in France, I had my Valentine One ripped from my car, even though I wasn't in it at the time (French plod saw it through the windscreen when I was parked up). I got fined €750 for owning it AND €750 for using it. They also destroyed it in front of my eyes (another £500 effectively).

Blimey thats harsh!

Blimey thats harsh!

I was not impressed, when I asked to pay by card, they told me they only accept cash!! When I said I didn't have the cash, they told me they would inpound the car! In the end, they took our passports, gave me a map to the nearest town (obviously they do this alot!) and waited for me to return with the reddies...

They also said if I was caught speeding between where we were and Calais (still some 300 miles) they would take the car off me and not return it. :eek:

Not the best day of my life...

Incidentally, this was in a friends Lamborghini Gallardo I was driving from Monaco back to UK, you can imagine my frustration as I was overtaken by everything for the next 4+ hours. :(

I was not impressed, when I asked to pay by card, they told me they only accept cash!! When I said I didn't have the cash, they told me they would inpound the car! In the end, they took our passports, gave me a map to the nearest town (obviously they do this alot!) and waited for me to return with the reddies...

They also said if I was caught speeding between where we were and Calais (still some 300 miles) they would take the car off me and not return it. :eek:

Not the best day of my life...

Incidentally, this was in a friends Lamborghini Gallardo I was driving from Monaco back to UK, you can imagine my frustration as I was overtaken by everything for the next 4+ hours. :(

Ah ha. It was these words that made me understand;

'friends Lamborghini Gallardo '

Sorry to hear you had such an awful time....... Still there are compensations to the day. Getting to cruise along in a Gallardo.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom