Does it only happen to this country?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kinaero

Car
E220CDI AMG SPORT Estate
Sorry if I am being ignorant here??
Whenever we have some rain, half the country get flooded, just watched the news and found out Datchet in Berkshire is like Venice.

When we get the snow, again half the country roads blocked up.

A few years ago , some train services were cancelled, because of leafs on track!! WTF!!

Its not like we had a hurricane, or some arctic snow blizzard conditions, is it??

Is there nothing this country could cope weather wise??

Ok I might have over exaggerated a little, but I am sure you get where I am coming from.

Rant over!

"some" rain.

If you quantified it, you might understand the problem.

isn't it one of the largest rainfall ever on record?

Why do people think that generating a pointless Rant is enjoyable to read?

isn't it one of the largest rainfall ever on record?

Yes it is. Wettest since 1910

Record wet January for parts of southern Britain - Met Office

Rainfall_amount_average.gif

Utter nonsense , written by a clown , read up on what's happened before posting your drivel.

I thought this was caused by the jet stream shifting a little, hence the weather being harsher than normal in the UK - no?

If I told you there was just shy of 45 BILLION litres of water a day draining just off the river thames , would that make it easier to understand the quantity of water we are talking about ?

Been flowing like that for a month now.

True. The jet-stream is lower than normal.

The OP may have a point then - yes?

Let's just hope the French get that powerstation built and working properly....

You have obviously never driven a train either.
I think every one should experience trying to drive one during leaf fall season.
The leaves get compressed onto the head of the rail and form a layer that is incredibly slippery.
It goes something like this:
Driving at a steady speed, say 60mph. Apply brakes lightly, wheels lock up (speedo shows zero, still moving just as fast) open throttle slightly, wheels spin. It is a singularly frightening experience and one I still shudder over.
Just my two pence worth.

This weather is fine for me, no trains to London Bridge, so what, I just work from home.

Utter nonsense , written by a clown , read up on what's happened before posting your drivel.
If I read up on everything, I wouldn't need to join the forum, and 17000 posts does not qualify you to call me a clown!

Last edited:
I had a substantial oil leak from my car recently. The rain has been great washing it off my drive and the road.

Ok I have not been watching news or weather forecast for as many months since before xmas due to heavy work load.
The weather up here in Manchester have always been wet and miserable but nothing out of ordinary.
When I watched the news tonight and see Datchet under water, I just couldn't believe my eyes, hence my first post. :doh:

All good points.

But having lived in many places (including QLD when the size of the flood area was the same as France and Germany), the UK is pretty poor and dealign with anything beyond our normal range of weather.

Currently floods are certainly extreme and I am NOT including these.

I worked for the government when they issued bonus vouchers to employees in London who made it to work during the snow! Less then 50mm!

Anybody who has been to countries that really have snow will know this is a little sprinkle.

I am in Australia at the moment. 43C not unheard of in the summer.

Anyway - JUST MY OPINION

Have I missed something? I saw on the news railway tracks blowing about in the wind with nothing but the English channel beneath them. Should trains not stop for this? What about when the rails are under water or trees?

Have I missed something? I saw on the news railway tracks blowing about in the wind with nothing but the English channel beneath them. Should trains not stop for this? What about when the rails are under water or trees?

It helps to wash the leaves off the lines :D

Ok I have not been watching news or weather forecast for as many months since before xmas due to heavy work load.
The weather up here in Manchester have always been wet and miserable but nothing out of ordinary.
When I watched the news tonight and see Datchet under water, I just couldn't believe my eyes, hence my first post. :doh:

TV crews go straight for the best pictures they can get and talk it up to make a good story. Around here it's been a lovely mild winter, albeit with plenty of rain. But that doesn't make headlines...

If I read up on everything, I wouldn't need to join the forum, and 17000 posts does not qualify you to call me a clown!

What I do for a living does though , I work for the people that everyone seems to hate at the moment , managing flood water. And I'm sick of people with no knowledge ranting.

An ill thought out rant on your behalf does you no favours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom