Does LPG requires cat to pass MOT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sstylos

Hi, I have a CLK 200K MY2001 converted to LPG.

Cat (catalyst) rattles and I wonder if removing cat (decat) will allow me to pass MOT test. I'm located in Greece and I beleive Greek MOT limits are the same or similar to UK.

Has anybody remove cat and pass MOT on LPG with a similar engine?

Regards

Hi, I have a CLK 200K MY2001 converted to LPG.

Cat (catalyst) rattles and I wonder if removing cat (decat) will allow me to pass MOT test. I'm located in Greece and I beleive Greek MOT limits are the same or similar to UK.

Has anybody remove cat and pass MOT on LPG with a similar engine?

Regards

Here in the UK, the actual presence of a cat is NOT obligatory for the MOT test as long as the vehicle can still pass the required emmisions level though this is unlikely to be achieved without the cat fitted.

I would have thought that your LPG equiped vehicle would sail through the test without a cat due to the very low polluting characteristics of LPG emmisions.

An afterthought.........If you are 'dual fuel' (you have the option of switching over to petrol) then the tester may opt to test on the petrol emmisions, in which case you will most probably need the cat fitted in order to pass the emmisions test.

Last edited:
Here in the UK, the actual presence of a cat is NOT obligatory for the MOT test as long as the vehicle can still pass the required emmisions level though this is unlikely to be achieved without the cat fitted.

I would have thought that your LPG equiped vehicle would sail through the test without a cat due to the very low polluting characteristics of LPG emmisions.

An afterthought.........If you are 'dual fuel' (you have the option of switching over to petrol) then the tester may opt to test on the petrol emmisions, in which case you will most probably need the cat fitted in order to pass the emmisions test.

Couldn't agree more.

An afterthought.........If you are 'dual fuel' (you have the option of switching over to petrol) then the tester may opt to test on the petrol emmisions, in which case you will most probably need the cat fitted in order to pass the emmisions test.[/QUOTE

suppose the only way you could get round that would be to run the petrol tank dry and only come with LPG in the car.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure about Greek rules too (requires cat, has to pass petrol test too).
If it just requires cat to be present, then I will perform solution posted above for diesel cars (empty original cat).

In my case I run my car only on LPG , as it is cheaper.
So I don't beleive that I "cheat" on actual enviroment emissions.

Thank you for all your replies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom