Does MB provide a courtsey car and if so what cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
My car out of warranty as almost 3yrs 5 months old 14k on the clock, bought news, serviced by MB appears
to have some big fault where the MB breakdown guys can't update the software to remove amber engine light and AdBlue messages so running in slightly better than the limp mode.
Taking to mb garage but not my usual one as i took it privately owned MB in lakeside as opposed to my local retailer/MB as lakeside was 80 quid cheaper and free Adblue.

The MB breakdown guys said you will get a free courtesy car, mine is gle and we are travelling to th nort
about 200 miles each way on the weekend or Monday. Is this true re free car? I'm not used to driving a msall car and the smallest i've every driven is a c class sized car and last 10 years or so a SUV on motorways

Asides that, any ideas re MB uk helping me out as it looks like an invoice of 1200 to 2.5k as it could be a nox sensor one said and now this - all this having covered 14700 careful one driver miles and never thrashed, not fir for the purpose imo - been a MB man since 2004 and dad was MB man from the late 60's :(
first diesel for me and I regret it.

Help please

Stay Calm...Talk to the dealer who has your car...ask for goodwill claim to be made on your behalf...Talk to your supplying dealer...get their input...get them to talk to the dealer who has your car...be polite...keep notes of all conversations...i.e. who said what etc. get in touch with MB direct if not happy...keep us posted on here as I'm sure plenty of help will soon be forthcoming....Good Luck

In the good old days (before everybody drove a MB, 0000 or BMW) - a courtesy car was a given, even for an out of warranty service!

ok, thanks all. I intend to keep "calm," as stated and I know this is good practise because I'm no hard man and
I've worked in front line duties and keeping clam gets you far. I also intend not to embarrass myself or the organ grinder and pay up, politely register my disquiet and then take action from arm's length as suggested by a fellow member here.

Rory, you are right but my cars are bought for cash, new and most of what we see on the roads are olds cars, and/or on hp/lease.
Agreed that my bcar the gle amg line is nothing special, IMO it is a 6/10 and people that we see at weddings/parties/etc that don't really know u and are friends of friends think we are rich, and/or run a business. But the fact is I'm only a pens pusher as is my OH, but we have worked hard, spent wisely and don't do hp/etc to get to were we are and do expect a car costing in excess of 50k to give us half-decent motoring at sub 15k miles and FSH by MB. I do not expect a free courtesy car and was a bit dubious when mentioned by the MB man, hence my Q here
:)

Firstly, in the 7 years I’ve had my C350 I’ve always been provided with a free courtesy car by my MB dealer when the car has been in for service or repair. What they’ve provided has varied from an A180 to a c220 coupe. I haven’t needed anything in particular but I’m confident they’d do their best to meet my request.

I’m in the middle of the dreaded NOx sensors issue. I’ve been quoted £1070 fir them to be replaced by my MB dealer, who submitted an automatic request to MB U.K. to contribute on a goodwill basis. The computer said no. So I phoned MB U.K. last week and spoke to a guy who said he’d try doing a manual check to see if they could help in any way. He said he couldn’t promise anything, and I haven’t heard back from them yet. It could be worth your while trying to do the same, especially with your car being a lot younger.

Some dealers will look on someone like you driving a 3 YO car as a prime prospect to buy a new car , and may well give you a demo model for the weekend in the hope you might decide to buy one .

Don’t mislead them , but a minute or two admiring the latest model might not go amiss .

I know of one main dealer who charges £50 for a loan car for the day.

I don’t use that dealer.

never had to pay for a loan car.

Reactions: 219
You should be able to get a replacement car through Mobilo (or whatever they call it now!)

The Benefits

The NOx sensors are a know problem, and it has affected many models in the MB range - and other manufacturers too.
I had them replaced FOC on my old E350 - which had just run out of warranty, the dealers told me they had replaced literally thousands of them, and generally did them for no cost as long as the car had a good service history.
My car also had an Adblue problem, which despite me loving the car ultimately made me move away from diesel to a petrol engine, and I'm more than happy that I made the jump.

It would be pretty scandalous if MB turned down your request for payment in your circumstances. I recently got Vauxhall to pay the full cost of work (about £2k) on an 11 year old car worth maybe £1500. It's a matter of putting your case very politely and firmly, and I suggest in writing.

It would be pretty scandalous if MB turned down your request for payment in your circumstances. I recently got Vauxhall to pay the full cost of work (about £2k) on an 11 year old car worth maybe £1500. It's a matter of putting your case very politely and firmly, and I suggest in writing.

Bit off topic, but I'd be interested to hear more details about that!

Sometimes these issues arise because loyalty goes both ways. Although there are local variations as a rough rule of thumb the customer who always buys and services their car at the same dealer is likely to get a more sympathetic hearing from said dealer in instances like this. Its good for their repeat business if nothing else? A dealer who offers £80 off and free adblue to get you in the door and then presents you with a bill for £1200-£2500 without advising you on a possible goodwill contribution from MB isn't doing you any favours?

My local MB dealer happily offers a loan car. You can pay a little bit if you want zero excess on the loan car. The only issue with the loan cars it it can take longer to get an appointment if everyone has taken up the loan cars

My local VW dealer also offers the same but no cost for zero excess

- both on any car being serviced of any age -

Richard

Hi
Update
Thank you all
Took car to MB, very nice customer services lady, nice as me if I'm being very open.
As the car has been looked after other than the inbred attack by some vandal/s the car is nearly
new and had from new and FSH MB history.
MB gave us a car, nothing like mine but an E class and i felt i was sitting on the road as used to SUV's for more than three years.
I rang them a short while ago, appears to be a technical problem in Germany not allowing software updates
and they feel it's not my car as they tried to update another car. They feel and hopefully is the software but could be a sensor or Nox,
but we shall see.

Thankfully, for once the dealership was not overflowing and the customer services lady is a credit to them.

We won't get the car back until Monday at least and really needed back by Tuesday and doing a 400-mile round trip Wed
and much easier to drive in a higher car than one that is very low.

The E class, the new one, not been in one before, a 220d se premium, reserve cam not working, took a few minutes to work out what was what. I was impressed by the quietness of the diesel engine.

If it is a major problem, I will register my dissatisfaction and hope for a reasonable to good outcome.

I've learnt my lesson and planning on keeping the car for another 18 months to 2 years and then
possibly gift it to our son as he likes the car so will take out a three-year warranty.

The next suv will be petrol, battery/electric and atm only The Jag F pace is affordable in that guise but not really like or the Volvo XC90, we shall see.

Pontooneer, lol
I can never do that as I will actually buy the thing.
When we got the GLE, I went out with our son and daughter both in their very early 30's.
We went hunting for the then-new shape C class amg line estate, they and salesman got me to a GLC which i loved more but not our kids they got me to a GLE. I felt it was too big as i then worked and visited people in their homes. A few weeks later

we placed the order for the gle, no driving test, nothing, just sat in it, i was outvoted. I then kept our c class for 5 months to
build confidence driving the new gle to, at times run-down areas of greater london. Sadly, the car was keyed when 6 weeks old not sure where it happened then a few weeks later dent near the handle about 2 inches long - so no new car for me atm, lol

Bit off topic, but I'd be interested to hear more details about that!
Involved complete steering failure on a Meriva. Dangerous because it could (and did) fail without warning. Basic fault with the column and Vauxhall were fully aware of the problem but failed to do a recall. They tried to get out of it as you might expect but soon capitulated.

Well documented fault at the time involved the failure of a torque sensor which meant little or no power assistance?
Vauxhall Meriva Power Steering resolution - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
Vauxhall just replaced the steering column altho with the right calibration tool it would appear the torque sensor can be replaced?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My C 250d went in to my local dealers for warranty work and car was off road for 4 weeks and Merc techs came from Germany to rectify fault but still car less for that period on the plus side I had 4 sets of Discs and pads fitted and on the 4 week period off road I had new hubs and all suspension joints changed [not bad for 17k miles]

Cost? Tomorrow I take my car in for a maps update and they told me they'll need the car for a few hours and that a courtesy car will cost me around £20, likely an A or C class. Apparently they started charging about 8 months ago (Listers, Grimsby).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom