Does my AMG have a start-stop battery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Malcsmith

Car
e63 AMG W212
I think I need a new battery for my W212 E63. When I look up a replacement battery options it says it needs an AGM battery for start-stop use. I don't know much about AGM batteries, but my E63 does not have start-stop. Do I need an AGM battery?

Some cars had AGM batteries even before Start/Stop.

Does your car still have the original MB-branded battery? If so have a look at the Part Number and post it here.

If you car was factory-fitted with an AGM battery, it is best to keep to same (even if your car does not have Start/Stop).

I have a late 2011 E350 CDI W212 without start stop, but it turns out mine is specced with an AGM battery as well.

Some cars had AGM batteries even before Start/Stop.

Does your car still have the original MB-branded battery? If so have a look at the Part Number and post it here.

If you car was factory-fitted with an AGM battery, it is best to keep to same (even if your car does not have Start/Stop).
It is a VARTA AGM battery.

Attachments

• 20210730_100422 (1).jpg
    20210730_100422 (1).jpg
    636 KB · Views: 22
I've looked at alternative batteries and the Varta Silver Dynamic AGM (580901080D852) has 80AH and 800A comes in at £138.57. Cant find how long the guarantee is - but think it may be 4 years.

Halfords do 019AGM Start/Stop AGM 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee for £148.80 (with a trade card) which is 850A and 95Ah.

Anyone got any experience/feedback on Halfords batteries as for £10 more I get more capacity and longer guarantee?

Just measured the OEM VARTA which is 315mm and the Halfords recommended battery is wider at 353mm. Looking in the battery compartment, it looks like it would be just too wide anyway.

Just measured the OEM VARTA which is 315mm and the Halfords recommended battery is wider at 353mm. Looking in the battery compartment, it looks like it would be just too wide anyway.

Aa I said... don't rely on motor factor's spec, instead check directly on the manufacturer's website (I appreciate it's difficult when the battery if Halford branded).

i changed my Varta battery after 13 years on my old e class, i would only put a Varta on again from now on. Buy quality less agro.

i changed my Varta battery after 13 years on my old e class, i would only put a Varta on again from now on. Buy quality less agro.
Do you mean MB-brandes Varta battery?

Or aftermarket Varta/Bosch battery?

From a place called 5 Star Batteries in Rainham Essex. They only sell all batteries, I bought the Varta amg it was about £50 cheaper than MB and he fits it. Its not Bosch. Check them out on the internet or give them a ring they are very helpful. I think if you tell them you were recommended from on here they would do a discount. :thumb: Just as another bit of info he connected up on my e class another trickle charger batterie thing when changing it as i said i didn't have a radio code, they do this for a living, they know there stuff. If you want a cheap battery they do them as well.
Highly Recommended by me :cool: Give them a ring with your battery number and they will give you a price.

Last edited:
Varta and Bosch branded batteries are the same product but with a different branding.

The batteries that Varta make for MB are not available for purchase as Varta-branded, I.e. the Varta/Bosch batteries are a different model to the MB-branded product.

That said, buying a Varta battery is a good choice, it's cheaper than the MB-branded battery and carries a longer warranty.

Not 100% guaranteed for accuracy, but usually pretty good:
Checking Autodoc for the Mercedes part number in the photo you posted (A0019828108) reveals Varta Silver F21 (4 year guarantee) and Bosch S5A11 (5 year guarantee).
Not totally unsurprisingly, this is the Varta replacement for my E class battery originally numbered A0019822108. I presume the ....2108 transition to ....8108 is just a later part number by Merc.

Both are £129.99 plus £8.88 delivery, plus you can get £5 off with code FIVEOFF before 4th August from Tayna Batteries.

This is a good price. Autodoc currently list then both a shade over £200. A few months ago due to lockdown supply chain issues, everywhere was getting close to £200. It was well over a year ago when there were around the £130 Mark.

These people beat just about anybody for batteries! i have had at least 6 of them for various cars
just put your reg number in and it will give you the correct battery, cheers Dave

These people beat just about anybody for batteries! i have had at least 6 of them for various cars
just put your reg number in and it will give you the correct battery, cheers Dave
Just to mention when I check my E-class with the reg lookup on Tayna, it DOES NOT give me the correct battery.

Much better to know the correct battery as per the part number and/or Markjay's recommendation is good of checking the manufacturer's website.
If I put my reg number into the Varta website, it does give me the correct battery.

Just to mention when I check my E-class with the reg lookup on Tayna, it DOES NOT give me the correct battery.

Much better to know the correct battery as per the part number and/or Markjay's recommendation is good of checking the manufacturer's website.
If I put my reg number into the Varta website, it does give me the correct battery.

Same here. Tanya's website seems to think that my car (2013 W204) does not have Start/Stop (which it does) and does not need an AGM battery (which it does).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom