Does my car have sliding caliper pins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip1972

Car
E350 CDI convertible 2011
I have a W209 CLK 320 Convertible **********.

Does this car have sliding caliper pins?

IIRC, I just undo the bolts when changing the discs and pas, I cant remember pulling sliders out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you don't have sports brakes/discs combo which I think are fixed caliper then the following applies. technically you should use new locking bolts or use threadlocker on the old ones. Take off a wheel and have a look?
[YOUTUBE HD]j6hzJygVXeI[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
I have a W209 CLK 320 Convertible **********.

Does this car have sliding caliper pins?

IIRC, I just undo the bolts when changing the discs and pas, I cant remember pulling sliders out?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I have heard of sliding callipers, opposed piston callipers and brake pads retained by pins on which the pads slide but not sliding calliper pins.

Are you talking about the pins holding the pads or the pin shaped slides within the calliper?

EDIT: sort of duplicate of Grober's post. Sorry.

On the video, I am talking about the 2 bolts removed with a rubber boot, that enable the caliper to be removed.

The 2 bolts you undo to remove the caliper actually bolt INTO the 2 caliper pins that slide inside the carrier. You don't need to remove them to renew the pads but they can get bent and/or require lubrication with suitable high temperature grease- with the caliper removed they should just pull out for examination as they are just retained by their rubber dust boots. However BlackC55 is a very experienced mechanic and his hub corrosion suggestion on that other thread is worth checking out also.

The 2 bolts you undo to remove the caliper actually bolt INTO the 2 caliper pins that slide inside the carrier. You don't need to remove them to renew the pads but they can get bent and/or require lubrication with suitable high temperature grease- with the caliper removed they should just pull out for examination as they are just retained by their rubber dust boots. However BlackC55 is a very experienced mechanic and his hub corrosion suggestion on that other thread is worth checking out also.

Thanks

Now it all makes sense.

Thank you all, its much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom