Does Service Plus still exist? (for existing customers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ali_H

Car
2004 S211 320CDi
Hi. Although this is my first post I have been lurking on this forum since August 2006 when I bought a May 2004 S211 320CDi. During the nine months it was still under manufactures warranty I was a regular visitor to my local MB dealers, so just before it's third birthday I signed up for 3 years Service Plus.
Everything then goes as I expected, the car was serviced in October last year including brake pads and the SBC unit was replaced in November all at no charge. I recently booked the car in for an MOT and the glow-plug warning light coming back on after starting the car, the MOT was done and glow plugs replaced again at no cost to me. Unfortunately the glow-plug light problem remained so the car went back in on the 30th April for further investigation,
I then get a phone call from my service advisor telling me it needs a new glow-plug relay at a cost of £106 and Service plus have rejected the claim!
After four phone calls to Mercedes I am still awaiting a reason for the rejection. Has anybody else had a claim rejected and if so what reason was given?

Glad you decided to join after lurking around for so long. :) Welcome to the forum.

I'm coming up to the second anniversary of my Service Plus contract and so far everything has worked very well. I should keep trying to find out from MB at Milton Keynes the reason for the rejection. Sorry I can't offer anything more positive.

I then get a phone call from my service advisor telling me it needs a new glow-plug relay at a cost of £106 and Service plus have rejected the claim!
Critical thing - which you're unlikely to get a clear answer on - is why did it fail.

ServicePlus covers "wear and tear" failures - so if it wore out then you'd be covered.

However, it it simply "broke" then, strictly, that's not covered. You would then need to fall back on the question of whether it's reasonable for an Mercedes glow plug relay to break after 4years and ask MB to make a goodwill payment.

Critical thing - which you're unlikely to get a clear answer on - is why did it fail.

ServicePlus covers "wear and tear" failures - so if it wore out then you'd be covered.

However, it it simply "broke" then, strictly, that's not covered. You would then need to fall back on the question of whether it's reasonable for an Mercedes glow plug relay to break after 4years and ask MB to make a goodwill payment.
That is not so Rory. It has been made clear in numerous threads that you are covered for all exept deliberate or accidental damage. Do a search and you will find this in writing from MB. Surely if it wasn't broken deliberately, or accidentally, then it wore out?

Last edited:
That is not so Rory. It has been made clear in numerous threads that you are covered for all exept deliberate or accidental damage. Do a search and you will find this in writing from MB. Surely if it wasn't broken deliberately, or accidentally, then it wore out?

Internet forum threads quoting emails from random people at Mercedes (who probably have moved on now) mean nothing. Tell me what it says in the ServicePlus contract.

The OP's unsatisfactory experience seems typical of so many customers interaction with Mercedes. They're prepared to completely p1ss off a customer for the sake of £106.

Last edited:
Firstly Ali_H, Welcome. I'm sorry to hear your claim was turned down, I feel that it perhaps is something that has went wrong at your dealership, a misunderstanding on their part, but we'll see I'm sure.

I had my car serviced on 22/04/08, it was a 'B' service, I even asked for some stone chips to be touched up, which i was prepared to pay for, when I went to collect my car everything had been done, including the brake fluid change, a new sensor for the intermit wipe, a new door handle which had come loose, and the stone chips corrected. The paint touch up kit was in the glove box, and all covered by Service plus. (I believe this was covered by my Dealer, as I know its not part of Service Plus).

Long may it last, alas my contract runs out Nov. '09. Oh and I noticed that my AC is not working as it should, so will be having that looked at in the near future. So I hope yours is an isolated case and you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Cheers

:)

OK. I managed to get a little closer to a reason as to why my claim was rejected, but it wasn't good news. This morning I rang MB Service Contracts asking for the reason that my claim had been rejected, after being put on hold for a few minutes the young lady returned to tell me that ,
" MB have recently changed the terms and conditions and that with the exception of minor items, eg glow-plugs etc, electrical units are no longer covered by Service Plus!"
When I tried to question her statement I was told I would have to take the matter up at senior level Customer Services, I am still awaiting their response.

To me that looks like sometihing I would fight. While I am not sure if electrial items wear out the paperwork goes as far as mentioning electrical items, so presumably they do.

David

Read your contracts...that is the ONLY legally binding document..anything else is just interpretation...

Do they stipulate what is covered?

Does it allow them to change the terms and conditions?

Eagerly awaiting hawk20's response.

" MB have recently changed the terms and conditions and that with the exception of minor items, eg glow-plugs etc, electrical units are no longer covered by Service Plus!"

seems like a huge change - on any modern car a huge fraction of the 'expensive bits that are likely to fail' would qualify as electrical units.

surely this removes a major part of the value of the contract.

Eagerly awaiting hawk20's response.
Panic! :eek: You and I have never agreed on the benefits of ServicePlus but this thread has got my attention. :eek: :eek:

Good luck in getting an answer Hawk, the eyes of the forum are upon you.

Regards
John

i work for an insurance company here in Oz...

my basic understanding about contracts that state terms and conditions apply is, any alterations to the terms you agreed to and signed/purchased have to be honored. any changes after should only apply to those who have signed on the dotted line after changes have been implemented and should not be used to disadvantage you in retrospect. if anything, any changes in your advantage should be provided as a PR exercise. After all we have all saved up and purchased a MB because of what the 3 pointed start represents.

the product you have purchase still be valid however by the sounds of it phased out over time.

oh BTW,

i'm sure MB will come to the party and be reasonable. in my exeriance they have always ensure i was satisfied with the product and after sales support.

leon

I am a little concerned quite frankly. This product clearly did not make MB money, or it would not have been cancelled. If they now want to persuade those on the contract to cancel it then they could start rejecting claims.

David

Has anyone had a glowplug relay replaced under service plus? If so a precedent has been set and can be used ......

Just come in from work to find I've got a letter from MB with a " list of inclusions for service contracts", unfortunately I'm going straight out and don't have time to copy it all out, but it falls way below my interpretation of the Service Plus contract.
For example these are the ONLY electrical components covered.... Key fob battery, Spark plugs, External bulbs, Alternator, Starter, Main Battery and that's it!!!! Looks like they did me a favor by replacing my defective Glow-plugs. I'll post the full list as soon as possible, but be assured first job in the morning is a phone call to MB.

My understnading of Service Plus was that it was also a warrenty product, when the car was 3 years old which was the reason for the pricing going up, and the inspection if joining after the car is 3 years old. This is begining to sound like a pure service + parts contract.

It also goes against what most people though SP was about on this forum.

David

Again .. I would reitterate -- read your contracts that is all that is legally binding... emails / etc etc may not be ... also do your contracts state that MB can change the terms and conditions? Do they need to notify you? If so Ali_H's letter may be their notification....

This may need a legal experts views....

A guide to Mercedes-Benz Service Plus

Mercedes-Benz Service Plus is a comprehensive support package, designed to make the servicing of your car as economical as possible.

Budgeting Costs

Inform us how many miles a year the vehicle is likely to cover and we will calculate a monthly payment, which will be taken by direct debit. This will then cover all the service and maintenance costs within those parameters.

Quality Assured

All servicing must be carried out by an approved Mercedes-Benz Retailer/Authorised Repairer. This ensures that your car is maintained in accordance with the manufacture’s instructions, with only genuine components and approved lubricants being used by technicians who are fully trained by Mercedes-Benz.

Included in the contract is:
· The performance of all maintenance and service tasks recommended in the manufacturer’s service schedule. For most models built before November 2006, this will be determined by the onboard ‘Service Assyst’. The Service Plus contract will cover the costs of all labour, lubricants and other materials necessary for the task needed. This may include filters, spark plugs, oil change etc.
  • The preparation of the vehicle for its annual MOT test and the test fee (when applicable), any labour and parts required for the test.
  • Any preventative checks or other work which DaimlerChrysler may feel are necessary for the efficiency and reliability of the vehicle.
  • Any repairs (scheduled and unscheduled) which are necessary as a result of fair wear and tear resulting from normal use. This may include the replacement of items such as:

• Brake pads
    • Brake discs
    • Wiper blades
    • Clutch assemblies (where applicable)
    • Batteries
    • Exhausts
    • Major Units
    • Electrical Items
    • Bulbs

• Roadside Assistance is also covered under the Service Plus contract. This includes the relevant level of MobiloLife cover for the age of the specific vehicle plus the additional benefit of any repairs which are covered by the contract.

What is not covered?

• Fuel
    • Insurance
    • Replacement of windscreens or external glass
    • Body or paint work
    • Damage to the interior trim
    • Cleaning and valet
    • Road Fund Licence
    • Tyres (unless quoted for as an extra for new vehicles only)
    • Daily checks and top ups
    • Repairs which are covered under Warranty
    • Betterment

· Unfortunately we can’t cover everything and there may be some circumstances where DCUK may not pay for work detailed above for the following reasons:

o The damage has been caused by accident or force
o Non-Mercedes-Benz parts have been fitted to the vehicle
o Works have been carried out by non-Mercedes-Benz approved technicians
o Non-Mercedes-Benz approved lubricants have been used
o There is evidence of neglect, misuse or improper handling. Examples of this may be faults caused by using the vehicle for off-road use (if not specified in the handbook), overloading and unauthorised modifications and towing over the towing capacity for that vehicle (amongst others)
o Any repairs to items which were not fitted when originally manufactured
o Any modifications to the vehicle which are required by law
o Any measures needed to prepare the vehicle for a long period of storage
o Any damage caused by the customer refusing to take the vehicle in for work when they were notified that it was necessary

Roughly the contract includes text similar if not identical to the below, and the exclusions above apply.

Included in the contract is:
· The performance of all maintenance and service tasks recommended in the manufacturer’s service schedule. For most models built before November 2006, this will be determined by the onboard ‘Service Assyst’. The Service Plus contract will cover the costs of all labour, lubricants and other materials necessary for the task needed. This may include filters, spark plugs, oil change etc.
  • The preparation of the vehicle for its annual MOT test and the test fee (when applicable), any labour and parts required for the test.
  • Any preventative checks or other work which DaimlerChrysler may feel are necessary for the efficiency and reliability of the vehicle.
  • Any repairs (scheduled and unscheduled) which are necessary as a result of fair wear and tear resulting from normal use.
My concern is the grey area between wear and tear, and the exclusions. We have been given the impression that MB interpreted that rather widely. I just wonder whether that will continue.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom