Does Service Plus still exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll post their response when I get it.
Good luck and it will be interesting to see the result. Our vehicle is a February 2004 and we declared a similar mileage.

Regards
John

Does anyone have the telephone number for the team at the end of the DC email address?

I've liased with them from work, but I could do with contacting them by phone today (and I'm at home).

The number for MB Service Contracts is :0870 - 242 - 6200. Email : [email protected]

I've just received a reply to my quote request. If I take out the contract for the following lengths of time it will cost me (VAT not included) per month:

2 Years: 69.99
3 Years: 74.62
4 Years: 76.03
5 Years: 80.05

As mentioned this does not include VAT and is on a 10 month old E280 CDI with a estimated mileage of 15000 per year. My current Mileage is approx. 13000.

So if I were to pay for the 5 year contract then it would cost me £5,643 (inc Vat) over the 5 years. Do you think I would spend this much on Servicing etc. over 5 years ?

So if I were to pay for the 5 year contract then it would cost me £5,643 (inc Vat) over the 5 years. Do you think I would spend this much on Servicing etc. over 5 years ?
Mercedes-Benz think from those figures they would make a profit. Me personally; I would wait until very near the third annivesary, just make sure the car is serviced at 2 years 11 months and take out Service Plus at the same time. That's what I did as the MOT is not covered by the three month period.

Regards
John

Thats the question no one can answer , it may cost you a lot less it may cost a lot more , are you even going to keep the car another 5 years???

Mercedes-Benz think from those figures they would make a profit. Me personally; I would wait until very near the third annivesary, just make sure the car is serviced at 2 years 11 months and take out Service Plus at the same time. That's what I did as the MOT is not covered by the three month period.

Regards
John

Good advice John -- but I would rather take it out 3 months before the end of my warranty - I think wear items arent covered for 3 months ...but I may be wrong if so then i withdraw my thoughts.....:D

Good advice John -- but I would rather take it out 3 months before the end of my warranty - I think wear items arent covered for 3 months ...but I may be wrong if so then i withdraw my thoughts.....:D
Hope it's okay to jump in on this one. I believe (with my own car) its the first 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first. Hope that helps.

Your correct, hence my suggestion of having the service. If you have no faith in the competance of the workshop the obviously the 3 months is the better option or as tudu kindly pointed out the 3000 miles. 2 yrs and 9 months is belt and braces.

John

Edit
Note to self
Forgot to book the car in for MOT :eek: Must remember tomorrow :)

I'm running a E211 220 CDI auto, at the 2 year 11 month mark with 57k already clocked up, I enrolled this on their service plus contract, at £117 per month and 25k mileage per year, I haven't looked back, I have had more than my moneys worth back in parts alone.:)

I've just contacted my local dealer and asked for a service plus quote. I've been told that I've got to get two different quotes, one for a 12 month warranty quote and one for a service quote.

So far I've only had the warranty quote, but that's come in at:

£1056 + £200 inspection fee (to confirm my car is without defects). :crazy: :mad:

What the?! Based on other threads other people seem to have ServicePlus quotes for about £80-£100 per month which is much more reasonable as this covers service AND warranty.

Was this guy talking out of his backside or has ServicePlus been canned?

Another vote for third anniversary from me. Bear in mind though that much could happen in two years and that Service Plus may not even be available - it may have increased in price - or it may get cheaper.

I'm fairly confident though that whilst the car is under warranty the value of Service Plus will be limited and you'll be paying over the odds for what you get. Once out of the warranty, then that's different.

The 3 month or 3,000 miles exclusion is planned/routine servicing if I remember correctly. If you had an unexpected breakdown during that time, then Service Plus should still cover it. If you decide to go that route check with them nearer the time for your own reassurance.

PS If you decide to take it out do it just before the car turns 12 months or 24 months old. That way you can maximise the benefit of Service Plus by taking it right to it's sixth birthday.

If you take it out when the car is 366 days old, you will only be able to have a 4 year plan, not a 5 year plan.

I've just received a reply to my quote request. If I take out the contract for the following lengths of time it will cost me (VAT not included) per month:

2 Years: 69.99
3 Years: 74.62
4 Years: 76.03
5 Years: 80.05

As mentioned this does not include VAT and is on a 10 month old E280 CDI with a estimated mileage of 15000 per year. My current Mileage is approx. 13000.

I took mine out at 2yrs 9mths too - I was thinking it might need disks at 3yrs (MOT) as they looked very rusty. They did comment on them but said they're OK for now.

Is your car on fixed (annual) servicing, or is it on variable servicing?

I think the rates for years 2 & 3 are stupidly high considering the car is under warranty (a 5 Series 6 cyl BMW would cost a one-off £1650 inc VAT for 5yrs/60K miles service & brake pads).
However you probably need a B service and brake fluid change in yr 2, which could eadily be £500.
In yr 3 you may well need pads & disks, plus a service, so you could be looking at £7-800? (not sure).
It's not a *million* miles out, although the ex-VAT prices flatter it.

In years 4 & 5 it really comes into its own as (I truely hope we're all right here :) ) as it should give the same protection as an extended warranty, so the service & maint part is close to free.

Last edited:
I just received my paperwork on Service Plus, and as my car is due MOT in Feb, I just asked in passing if my contract would cover this...Yes of course! So I ring my service advisor...never heard of such a thing, will get back to me! Aghh.

Cheers

:)

I just received my paperwork on Service Plus, and as my car is due MOT in Feb, I just asked in passing if my contract would cover this...Yes of course! So I ring my service advisor...never heard of such a thing, will get back to me! Aghh.

Cheers

:)
:D :D Been there and had the same conversation. Hopefully your service advisor will now educate themslves on the pro's of the contract.

REgards
John

Having read this thread I thought I’d get quotes (service and service plus) for my car:

GL420CDI mileage now 6k with 3yr contract at 15k miles per annum.

The service contract is £36.20 (plus vat) pm fixed for 3 years as long as I stay within the mileage limit. This is OK but doesn’t seem to offer any clear benefit over paying for the service when it’s due. I checked with local service dept and this seems to be about the amount I’d pay anyway.

The service plus contract is a massive £87.89 (plus vat) for 3years. This is an annual difference of about £620 before vat.

Given that the car is under warranty (apart from the last six months of the 3yr period) the only real additional benefit I can identify from the service plus cover is brake discs / pads.

Called MBs service contract number to attempt to understand the numbers and the person I spoke to was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, just reading from a script and said knew nothing about warranty.

Last edited:
Having read this thread I thought I’d get quotes (service and service plus) for my car:

GL420CDI mileage now 6k with 3yr contract at 15k miles per annum.

The service contract is £36.20 (plus vat) pm fixed for 3 years as long as I stay within the mileage limit. This is OK but doesn’t seem to offer any clear benefit over paying for the service when it’s due. I checked with local service dept and this seems to be about the amount I’d pay anyway.

The service plus contract is a massive £87.89 (plus vat) for 3years. This is an annual difference of about £620 before vat.

Given that the car is under warranty (apart from the last six months of the 3yr period) and the only real additional benefit I can identify from the service plus cover is brake discs / pads.

Called MBs service contract number to attempt to understand the numbers and the person I spoke to was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, just reading from a script and said knew nothing about warranty.
I have some thoughts about the whole ServicePlus thing, but I don't want to put the wrong idea in to the mind of anyone from MB who might be watching!

I have some thoughts about the whole ServicePlus thing, but I don't want to put the wrong idea in to the mind of anyone from MB who might be watching!

Intriguing dear Watson
.......................................................................:confused: :confused: :confused:

My delightful Service Plus tale....

Long story short...

Bought my w211 from an offshoot of the main MB dealer. I had comand misery, which took about four visits to remedy (faulty nav unit); on each occasion, left the car at the offshoot, they gave me a runaround, and took car to main dealer and returned it to me.

Anyway.

On the final visit, I advised them that i also wanted a service done, as the assyst indicated that a service C was required, and I took the view that I would kill two birds.....

I advised the offshoot that i would pick car up from main dealer, as I had recently signed up for Service Plus, and would obviously settle the service element that way ( the nav unit was a warranty replacement/repair). No problem they said.

I got a call from the main dealer advising that in the course of the service, they had discovered a need for new brake discs and pads (2 yr old car, 44k) - fire away I advised, safe in the knowledge that these items were covered by Service Plus.

Went to pick up my car and was presented with the bill - £977! Well the conversation went as follows:

MB - How do you intend to pay?

KS - Well, I dont.

MB - Ho Ho, no really, card cheque or cash?

KS - Actually, I have Service Plus

MB - (as the colour drained from his face) But no-one told us that...er, that causes a problem...we should have been advised beforehand....etc

KS - Well I told your offshoot of the position, and left the SP wallet in the car. In fact that is the very reason I came to pick the car up.

MB - (stlll rather sickly) But we are supposed to get prior authorisation from SP before any extra work is done.....

KS - I can't imagine you will have any difficulties, after all, it's not as if you would have done any unecessary work now is it? I'm sure they will understand.

MB - (rather petulantly taking the detailed schedule of work and bill from the table) Well YOU won't be needing that then. Your car is outside.

Subsequently got a call from them that there was a 'problem' with my previous service record and could I call in. I did so and with relish explained that the problem was that their offshoot had failed to fill in the service record when selling the car to me some six months previously....

Now call me cynical, but I could not help but feel that had they been aware of the SP contract, they may have been slightly more circumspect about doing £977 worth of work on my car....

SP - £97.00 pm, 22k per year, best car related investment I have ever made!

I've just bought a W211 E320 CDI with 24,000 miles, first registered April 2004 - I'm the second owner. I've just e-mailed [email protected] asking for a quotation on the standard Service and Service Plus contracts based on a mileage of 8,000 per annum, and what discounts are available under their current offers.

I'll post their response when I get it.

My quotation has come through for 2 years - Service £48.70 and Service Plus £54.59 per month, for both years.

The contract form states that ''if the service contract is for a vehicle that is outside of the manufacturer's warranty period, the contract can only be offered subject to the findings of a used vehicle inspection report which needs to be completed within one month prior to the contract start date and supplied.''

Anyone know what the warranty period is - others in this thread have referred to 3 years but I cannot find reference to this in the Service booklet or manuals? It has so far been serviced twice by MB Dealers in accordance with the service schedule.

I thought £54.59+VAT= £64.14 per month for Service Plus seemed reasonable value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom