Does such a car exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Negotiating with my wife on a possible new car gives me empathy towards Euro MPs negotiating trade deals!

I thought the plan was to sell the Smart, she takes over my A2, leaving me some money to buy a car for myself. After all, who wouldn't want a small economical car for those short town journeys?

But if I get a new car, she wants a new car and it needs to be a convertible this time.

I'm just not ready yet to part with the A2, as it took me a while to find it and I quite like it still.

So on to the next plan of the day. To find a convertible car. But here's the catch. We don't have a garage, so a folding hard top is preferred. Also she hates paying for petrol, even for the Smart.

So is there such a thing as an economical, folding hard-top convertible within our budget of ~£3.5k? Lotus Elise's start at £8k sadly.

I'm minded to ignore the economy, since she only does 4-5k miles a year and buy a SLK for a bit over budget. At least I would enjoy driving that too.

She's keen on a Peugeot 206cc. Anyone tried one of those? My heart and head both say no.

I'm sure this car negotiation has some way to go before a solution is found :(

Any advice, words of sympathy, tissues for me to cry in? I may just have to throw my dummy out the pram and say no-one is getting a new car and stop waisting everyone's time :)

ps. Gaz: I've not dismissed your Impreza yet.

edit: Honda CRX has just come to mind....mmmmm

Last edited:
Alfa GTV V6 - not hard top, not very good economy but having just bought an Alfa 156 myself to go with the Merc they are so much fun to drive. The chassis is just sorted in every way.

Thanks for the suggestions of the MX5. Most of the ones for sale seem to be the imported Eunos version. Has anyone owned an import? Somehow I've always perceived them to be a hassle; insurance & parts.

Of a similar style, the Toyota MR2 (new shape) looks OK to me. But as the budget creeps up, the SLK keeps on looking at me.

Vauxhall Astra Convertible - pretty well built and a nice looking car (the last one that is), and left field (and left hand drive) the Fiat Barchetta, which I have always liked.

Negotiating with my wife on a possible new car gives me empathy towards Euro MPs negotiating trade deals!

I thought the plan was to sell the Smart, she takes over my A2, leaving me some money to buy a car for myself. After all, who wouldn't want a small economical car for those short town journeys?

But if I get a new car, she wants a new car and it needs to be a convertible this time.

I'm just not ready yet to part with the A2, as it took me a while to find it and I quite like it still.

So on to the next plan of the day. To find a convertible car. But here's the catch. We don't have a garage, so a folding hard top is preferred. Also she hates paying for petrol, even for the Smart.

So is there such a thing as an economical, folding hard-top convertible within our budget of ~£3.5k? Lotus Elise's start at £8k sadly.

I'm minded to ignore the economy, since she only does 4-5k miles a year and buy a SLK for a bit over budget. At least I would enjoy driving that too.

She's keen on a Peugeot 206cc. Anyone tried one of those? My heart and head both say no.

I'm sure this car negotiation has some way to go before a solution is found :(

Any advice, words of sympathy, tissues for me to cry in? I may just have to throw my dummy out the pram and say no-one is getting a new car and stop waisting everyone's time :)

ps. Gaz: I've not dismissed your Impreza yet.

edit: Honda CRX has just come to mind....mmmmm

Whar are you, man or mouse? Put your foot down!!!

Squeak Squeak! :bannana::bannana:

I noticed those too in an Autotrader search and like you said excellent value. :) I wonder whether reliability wise if they're any better than the French OEMs.

This one looks ok:
Auto Trader UK - MG TF 1.8 120 2DR STEPSPEED AUTOMATIC CONVERTIBLE

I like them a lot. They're great fun to drive.

I think you're OK as long as you avoid the 4 cylinder K series engine. The 160 bhp VVC is the one to have.

Honest John's article is well worth a read : MG*MG TF (2002 - 2005 ) | Car Reviews | Honest John

Any views on the Stepspeed auto gearbox?

Good grief no! Manual all the way! :)

Last edited:
Will, you're going through the negotiation phase I'm still working on! :D We haven't resolved some points yet, but are getting close - the real bartering begins when she gets back from Russia! :D

For your dilemna, how about some alternative thoughts:

1. Last of the old shape Saab convertibles, maybe a 2002?

2. Late 90s BMW Z3?

3. Late 90s FIAT Barchetta?

4. Smart Roadster ('04 ish)

5. Previous model Volvo C70?

The only tin-tops I can think of at the price range would be the Peugeot or SLK...

Bet you choose the SLK! :D

Good luck!

Last edited:
I like them a lot. They're great fun to drive.

Good grief no! Manual all the way! :)

Problem is that she's really an auto driver and to switch to a manual would require extra lessons. That's not an impossible task, but just adds to the increase list of things to sort out.

If it has to be a hard-top, then the Daihatsu Copen offers an electric folding roof (if you/she can live with the looks). And if push-button operation isn't a must, you could look at cars like the Suzuki Cappuccino, or even the Fiat/Bertone X1/9 (you'd get a very good X1/9 for your budget, if you can find one).

Last edited:
A lot comes down to whether she wants a 2 seater or 4 seater. For a 4 seater auto, I'd definately go with the Saab or Volvo. Great cars and very safe too!

2 seaters are much more open - personally, having driven a few of them, I'd choose the Alfa Spyder, but no auto...

A lot comes down to whether she wants a 2 seater or 4 seater. For a 4 seater auto, I'd definately go with the Saab or Volvo. Great cars and very safe too!

2 seaters are much more open - personally, having driven a few of them, I'd choose the Alfa Spyder, but no auto...

she's more of a small car person, so something not too big would be her preference.

I notice that the Peugeot 206cc has 2 comedy rear seats.

Hmmm...pointing ever closer to the SLK then! :D

The other day I spotted a really nice looking convertible Celica, on an R plate. Condition was glorious and it really did look a treat. Don't see them for sale very often though..

The Boss has an slk,ask him if you can get a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom