Does telephone automatically switch off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WJR

Car
E320CDI Estate
I have just got a Nokia 6610i telephone that fits into the cradle that originally came with my 2005 car, and I intend to leave it there. It seems to work OK, but the question is will it really switch itself off when I'm not using the car (give or take up to 30 minutes delay)? Looking at the Comand Owner's Manual it is supposed to, but if you open the doors of the compartment that contains the telephone, it springs to life, even though the key is not in the ignition. Are the doors of the telephone compartment connected to the telephone in a way that turns on the phone if they're opened, or does the telephone remain on even if the car is left locked for a few hours / days? If the telephone does not turn itself off when the car is not being used does it even matter, ie will the phone eat up a significant amount of the car battery's power?

Sorry for such a basic query.

I have just got a Nokia 6610i telephone that fits into the cradle that originally came with my 2005 car, and I intend to leave it there. It seems to work OK, but the question is will it really switch itself off when I'm not using the car (give or take up to 30 minutes delay)? Looking at the Comand Owner's Manual it is supposed to, but if you open the doors of the compartment that contains the telephone, it springs to life, even though the key is not in the ignition. Are the doors of the telephone compartment connected to the telephone in a way that turns on the phone if they're opened, or does the telephone remain on even if the car is left locked for a few hours / days? If the telephone does not turn itself off when the car is not being used does it even matter, ie will the phone eat up a significant amount of the car battery's power?

Sorry for such a basic query.

Not quite sure as i use bluetooth with iphone and HFP cradle comes on when i open car door, and when i leave the car and lock it stays connected to phone for about 5 mins. Sure someone will answer who has same setup as you do.

It does turn itself off.
Mine does the same thing in the Viano, if you leave the phone in the car it switches off after about 10 minutes but as soon as the door is opened the phone starts to charge. However it does not switch the phone on until the ignition is switched on.

Yes, and it is turned on when you open the car doors (COMAND also wakes up, but display doesnt come on until you press ON or turn ignition on), which is why you find it is on whenever you look

- this is so the COMAND can download the phonebook, and it seems like it has done it more quickly then it really does

Richard

I find mine (Nokia 6310i in a W203 with COMAND APS) is very random - sometimes it stays on and sometimes it goes off and then doesn't turn on again.

I've learned not to to rely on it doing either.

Most MB kits should accept the switch off time being controlled by a phone book entry "Run-on time" with the phone number from 1 to 30 or 1 to 60 which again means how many minutes the phone should stay on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom