Does this belong to anyone on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
69k miles and lost service history tells you all you need to know I would have thought.

Could be a bargain or a money pit. Non OEM wheels and exhaust tips and no service history and the fact it's on Gumtree would make me wary.

If you go to view it, make sure absolutely everything electrical works. Get the suspension raised and lowered a few times and get it HPI'd if you are keen.

Last edited:
I wonder if he'd allow me to connect the car up to STAR? I suppose if the car was not as it seemed then I would be told no way. I'll give him a ring in the morning.

I don't think it is a million miles away on the price as it is a 52 - even at that mileage. Might be worth a grand more if straight but the seller might be keen to shift and set the price realistically.

No history is concerning but there could be a genuine reason for that.

Steering wheel and front seat don't look too warn - although they could have been swapped.

It's all on condition, how it drives now and what's not working.

I would agree with your comment on Star. If I was selling my car, I would have no objection to my car being connected up to show any issues.

Any refusal would suggest there is something to hide and I would definitely be not entertaining in that scenario.

My impression at the moment is it seems quite genuine.

Can't stand the tips and would change the wheels personally.

Do you need a second one (your car is listed below your avatar) or have you not got one currently?

Let us know how you get on...

It would be hassle for the seller to obtain a service history from MB, but if he is prepared to give you the V5 registration number, you can check the MoT history online back to I think 2005, which should give you some indication whether the mileage is genuine. If he is not prepared to do that, I'd draw the obvious conclusion.

FV52 silver E55 just came up on Auto raider as Cat D, that'll be why it's sub 6K then.

Cat D, that'll be why it's sub 6K then.

If it's good car overall, maybe you could take advantage of it being a D? After all it could have been just a dent repair & new bumper.

I get what you're saying, but I've always steered clear on Cat D. Is there a way to find out what was actually done to the car? Does it cost more to insure? Never having owned one I don't know about them, I just know that they are harder to shift when the time comes because of it. Maybe it is worth a look, but I'd have to take a professional with me.

I bought a CAT D Ford Mondeo once. I had to take it to VOSA to get it OK'd I think to ensure it wasn't using stolen bits and pieces.

The guy selling it told me what it had had done and it was bodywork mainly - which is expensive on time and labour.

Didn't cost any more to insure as there is no extra risk for the insurance company.

You could ask if they know and post up for a second opinion one whether it would have been a write off.

It's harder to sell on at market rate yes, but at much lower than that, and that's what you need to hard ball on to ensure you pay well below market rate for it if you do buy it now.

Then you will have lost probably the same percentage as you would on a regular non-CAT one.

It's called a VIC test and all they do is check chassis plates and engine plates match and haven't been tampered with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom