Does this look normal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
So found 2 snapped rear spring and changed like for like (OEM). now it wasn't a bad snap - right at the tail bottom - and didn't affect handling etc but I thought it was a good a idea to change over anyway. So now, the rear sits high!!!! Thoughts please??
I kknow some people may point towards padding at the top of the spring, but nothing was modified, removed or added. All put back as per oem

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_110809_compress23.jpg
    IMG_20220122_110809_compress23.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 36
My W219 GE sat nose down **** up until i lowered the rear which previously looked exactly like yours and it annoyed me so I ended up removing the discs on the upper spring seat and it brought the rear down more in line with the front.

20170323_164827_zpsldptijjw by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

Did the dealer match the colour coding on the originals ?

K

How long had the springs been broken? What you perceived as normal may have been too low because of the snapped springs, and what you have now may be the correct height.

Old car, new spring 😇

Thanks for the replies. The springs were colour coded. I removed the old springs, then bought new ones after matching them up. Looks like it's a case of what I perceived normal was actually not and this height actually is normal.
I think the front springs are sagging so maybe after replacing them, the back will lower a little???

For reference , here is mine the day i picked it up from the MD with just 18k on the clock :

DSCF5601_zps4bf18973 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

As said , if your car has any "options" spacers on top of the spring seat then they can be removed to lower the rear slightly.

K

spacers on top of the spring seat then they can be removed to lower the rear slightly.

I'd hesitate to remove the spring pad. However, fitting the thinnest pad may solve the problem. Assuming the thinnest pad isn't already installed.

On the 124 cars, each increase in pad thickness is 5 mm, yielding 8 or 9 mm higher ride height. Maybe it's similar on this car.

RayH

I'd hesitate to remove the spring pad. However, fitting the thinnest pad may solve the problem. Assuming the thinnest pad isn't already installed.

On the 124 cars, each increase in pad thickness is 5 mm, yielding 8 or 9 mm higher ride height. Maybe it's similar on this car.

RayH

It is not the actual spring pad i removed. On the W219 they fit thin spacers (3-4mm) to the top of the spring pad , the more options the car has the more spacers are fitted (there is a chart somewhere) , there were four on my car and removing them lowered the rear of the car by 25mm ish.

K

Thanks again for the info. I hate to mess with cars so I'm going to leave as is. Hopefully the car settles a tad when I do the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom