Does this make you mad...parking fines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
A woman fined £80 for a parking offence after her ticket fell off the windscreen has paid the fine in pennies in protest. Mrs Gebbett, of Chiselhurst, Kent, was issued with a penalty notice in May.

She wrote a letter of appeal, asking council staff to see sense and withdraw the fine, explaining that her ticket had peeled away from her windscreen in hot weather.

A solicitor acting as an adjudicator ruled that there had been a technical breach, but suggested the council cancel the fine. The council ignored his recommendation and threatened to add another 50 per cent to the fine unless it was paid by December 3

What is the world coming too....the lady had obviously paid for her parking...the numbskulls in charge of parking are meant to be working for our benift and should not be demanding charges from people who have tried their best to comply with the parking regualtions. It just makes me mad.

Unfortunately, she probably got done for failing to display, in much the same way as if your tax disc falls off. I don't think its right, but there are some officious gits out there

Mrs Gebbett can get her revenge at the next local elections......

Was she saying that her pay & display parking ticket fell off into the car or that having parked illegally she did not pay the fine because the ticket issued by the warden fell off?

A girl that works for me paid and displayed and put the ticket on her dash, when she shut the door it blew the ticket over and received a parking fine, even with the evidence of the ticket number and the time on the ticket they're still insisting she pay the fine.

Peterborough have a policy where if a valid Pay & display ticket is produced, the PCN can be written off first occasion. Often happens if the P&D falls off windscreen, or gets blown off dash when door slammed shut etc.

I'm nice like that

I got one for the same, ticket in window, not pressed on very well so it dropped into the car. I wrote a letter to Brighton Council politely asking that the ticket be made void.
Got a letter back stating that on this occasion they would let me off.
Some you win......!!

But is she saying that a Penalty Notice (Ticket) fell off the screen and so she shouldn't have to pay late payment fine or that her pay and display ticket fell into the car? (in which case she no doubt wishes she had parked in Peterburger and walked :D )

I got one for the same, ticket in window, not pressed on very well so it dropped into the car. I wrote a letter to Brighton Council politely asking that the ticket be made void.
Got a letter back stating that on this occasion they would let me off.
Some you win......!!

And so they should "let your off"....you have done nothing wrong and have paid for the parking as required. I am getting to dislike all this guilty until prooved innocent stuff we seem to have now in the uk. Few pubilc bodies seem to have any sensible view about these matters and just want to charge as much as they can get away with.

But is she saying that a Penalty Notice (Ticket) fell off the screen and so she shouldn't have to pay late payment fine or that her pay and display ticket fell into the car? (in which case she no doubt wishes she had parked in Peterburger and walked :D )

Will we ever know Swiss, will we ever know :(

And so they should "let your off"....you have done nothing wrong and have paid for the parking as required. I am getting to dislike all this guilty until prooved innocent stuff we seem to have now in the uk. Few pubilc bodies seem to have any sensible view about these matters and just want to charge as much as they can get away with.

The contravention is failure to pay AND display. If she can produce a valid P&D ticket, who's to say she did pay? Did she find her valid ticket on the floor of the car park? Did someone give it to her? Will we ever know the truth darn it :D

Au contraire - the offence is 'failing to display'.

I'd be interested to find out (but can't be bothered doing the research) as to which of the authorities mentioned have the system 'in house' which is likely to produce a result like Robert's (and has done the same for me in Leeds) and which have farmed it out to outside agencies which makes it less likely that you'll get sympathy.

I might of felt a bit hard-done-to, but I'm not sure I could be bothered taking a bag of 8000 pennies to the fines office.

The contravention is failure to pay AND display. If she can produce a valid P&D ticket, who's to say she did pay? Did she find her valid ticket on the floor of the car park? Did someone give it to her? Will we ever know the truth darn it :D

I know, but whatever happened to benifit of doubt?

I know, but whatever happened to benifit of doubt?

I lost that a long time ago in this industry, and I've been in it for nearly 9 years. Call me cynical but for every truthful person, there are 10 liars lined up, when it involves cars, money, fines - and not necessarily in that order :eek: I know from bitter experience my friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom