Does TMC Dynamic Routing work in France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clegsr

Car
Later
I have a W210 Comand 2.0 CD version using the latest 2006 French TMC enabled DX CD, and when I recently returned from visiting Versailles/Paris I used the Dynamic routing option but when I tried it both at Calais and in Paris both times the system couldn't find the Radio channel transmitting the TMC data and told me " No TMC data available..." or something similar.

Has anyone go this to work? or is it a similar licensing issue as we used to have in the UK?

I can't believe that on the great french Autoroutes they dont transmit this info.

-Anybody?

clegsr said:
I have a W210 Comand 2.0 CD version using the latest 2006 French TMC enabled DX CD, and when I recently returned from visiting Versailles/Paris I used the Dynamic routing option but when I tried it both at Calais and in Paris both times the system couldn't find the Radio channel transmitting the TMC data and told me " No TMC data available..." or something similar.

Has anyone go this to work? or is it a similar licensing issue as we used to have in the UK?

I can't believe that on the great french Autoroutes they dont transmit this info.

-Anybody?

you may need to have your COMAND set to receive the TMC info from the wrong source. try going into NAVI -> Settings ans secting TMC source info. Select the free service. See if that helps.

No TMC service in France to my knowledge. Hence it won't work.

thanks,
I did check the system both ways and even tuned to 107.7 which is advertised by the autoroute as providing traffic info, but I still got the "No TMC station is set . . ." message"

Works in Germany but it would wouldn't it.

Frequency of 101. something or other gives traffic info. As a matter of interest 107 does it in English every hour. However you have to be south of Orleans for the English bit.

saorbust said:
No TMC service in France to my knowledge. Hence it won't work.
Crikey, I have friends that went to France in a 211 which has a different system to that which relates to the question, but they stated they were very impressed with TMC??? What's going on? Am I being told whoopsies?

John

Ian B Walker said:
Frequency of 101. something or other gives traffic info. As a matter of interest 107 does it in English every hour. However you have to be south of Orleans for the English bit.

:confused: Hi Ian, I am confused, TMC is language independent. The traffic messages are not broadcast in any language at all. Comand interprets the messages and turns them into human-readable form in the language of your choice.

Certainly, at 4.1 France was not on the list of supported countries. I remember when I was in the industry that there were a couple of privately funded TMC initiatives but only in the Paris area. Clearly things have moved on, but it still seems to be that France is patchy, judging by these threads. I haven't looked on V5.1 to see if France is listed as a supported country.

Philip

From Wikipedia:

France
Both a free public service and a commercial service are available in France.

The free service is provided by the motorway operators and provides information on their toll-roads. The toll-road operators are AREA, ASF, ATMB, Cofiroute, ESCOTA, SANEF, SAPN, SAPRR, SFTRF and SMTPC. The TMC data is on the 107.7 traffic channel so it can only be received along the motorways.

The commercial service V-Trafic is provided by Mediamobile. It is a partnership between TDF, Renault, Trafficmaster and Cofiroute. The service, which replaces the previous Visionaute service, is transmitted on the frequencies of France Inter and can be received nationally. It includes the information from the motorways but also on Paris congestion. The service was first open but it is now a pay-service, but it is not encrypted: by using a different location table number they can restrict the use. This method is TMC Forum 's Interim encryption method. They have about 60000 customers.

Next to that a service from ViaMichelin and Carte Blanche is provided, transmitted by the Towercast network (NRJ group). In september 2005 PSA Peugeot Citroën signed a partnership with ViaMichelin for the use of this info in their navigation systems.

Location tables are released by the government agency SETRA and includes about 20000 locations. The current version 0.4 includes both inside Paris and outside Paris. The latest certified version is 5.1.

Well I'll be driving through france later this week so I'll report back...

Having returned from France i can confirm that TMC works on their motorways or the ones i drove on from Caen to Bordeaux. Did not work anywhere else apart from motorways.

On the Tom Tom website
RDS-TMC is only available in: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the US.

BTB 500 said:
On the Tom Tom website

Hi Bill
Again we have to be careful because although the signal is available, it is down to manufacturers to buy a licence to receive it.

Regards
John

Voltman said:
Having returned from France i can confirm that TMC works on their motorways or the ones i drove on from Caen to Bordeaux. Did not work anywhere else apart from motorways.

Likewise - came back last week. Same story. Its not that great coverage wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom