Does Unleaded Contain Mercaptan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A quick question... does unleaded in the UK contain mercaptan?

I.e. is there a way that evaporating unleaded fuel can smell like a gas leak?

M.

Don't think so. Many Thiol type sulphur compounds will have a similar smell. Thiol smells are usually experienced in cars from fuel residue reactions in the exhaust catalytic converter. Its also possible battery acid might react to give similar compounds- say in an "cooked"= overcharged battery from a faulty alternator.

I'm not worried about the car...

Wednesday night I accidentally spilled some fuel on the driveway as I was removing the tank from the Ducati... now there's a strong smell of "gas" (not petrol) inside the house (but not outside).

I find it hard to believe it's co-incidental... that said, I find it hard to believe the fuel/smell travelled 10meters or so to the house, through concrete et.al. and comes out only in the house...

national grid called... waiting patiently in the cold with all the windows open...

M.

More likely to be a gas leak -assuming the house has a gas supply? Other possibility is a blocked /leaking sewer. if you reported a gas emergency they should be with very rapidly.

Blimey
Its going to be cold tonight as well!

First off turn the gas stop tap off, but also think have you been cutting onions or garlick?

Spinal..?

Spinal...?

Anyone seen a flash and heard a bang in Uxbridge..??

A quick question... does unleaded in the UK contain mercaptan?

I.e. is there a way that evaporating unleaded fuel can smell like a gas leak?

M.

Mercaptan is only added to natural gas to give it "smell" so we can quickly and easily detect by our noses a gas leak.
Its actually called Stench injection in the world of refining.
Natural gas does not have any smell of its own, so its added just before delivery. Unlike town gas which does have a pungent and distinctive smell.
The brand of Mercaptan which is added to natural gas is manufactured in France. It is exceptionally concentrated and only a very tiny percentage is added to gas. If you had a leak of the concentrated liquid you would smell it miles away (literally).
So, no. There is no Mercaptan in either petrol or diesel.
Other possibilities of the smell could be a leaking calor gas container (similar smell), rotten eggs in the dustbin or even kids playing with stink bombs.

Last edited:
Back, all alive... and my bag of marshmallows isn't toasted ;)

The chap from National Grid was here within the hour as promised and was very friendly. He smelt gas, did the rounds of the house with a micro-vacuum cleaner thing as well as connected some guage to the meter...

Turns out, I don't have a gas leak... and in fact the unleaded fuel somehow made it into the house... he said that it's quite common for people to mistaken a petrol spill for gas...

Oh well... no BBQ for me tonight... guess it's back to cleaning up the garage :p

M.

Back, all alive... and my bag of marshmallows isn't toasted ;)

The chap from National Grid was here within the hour as promised and was very friendly. He smelt gas, did the rounds of the house with a micro-vacuum cleaner thing as well as connected some guage to the meter...

Turns out, I don't have a gas leak... and in fact the unleaded fuel somehow made it into the house... he said that it's quite common for people to mistaken a petrol spill for gas...

Oh well... no BBQ for me tonight... guess it's back to cleaning up the garage :p

M.

Perhaps you inadvertently tracked it into the house on your feet?

Could very well be... Luckily it's sunny and not so cold today, so all doors/windows open while I washed the car... now I just neeed to build the courage to mow the lawn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom