Does W1A production plant code mean Hambach in France?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GLK

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Well, pretty much as the title says - can't seem to find any info (I'm sure I'm looking in the wrong places) about this particular code.
WDD, WDB etc all familiar, but not this one?

That's the thing - W1A is not listed, and yet it's a first three characters of a VIN ...

The list suggests in North America it denotes Audi SUV.
Aren't plant identifiers the 5th character?

Reactions: GLK
The WMI ( World Manufacturer Identifier ) and a plant code are two different things. The latter one is represented by the 11th character of the VIN.

The latest models no longer use codes such as WDD, WDB. I believe the W1A is a smart car (used to be WME).

The WMI ( World Manufacturer Identifier ) and a plant code are two different things. The latter one is represented by the 11th character of the VIN.

The latest models no longer use codes such as WDD, WDB. I believe the W1A is a smart car (used to be WME).

Ah, okay - didn't know they dropped WDD, WDB ... the GLK had an American VIN (WDCGG8JB3), and A200 is WDB ... and nearly 15 yrs old ha-ha.
So which plant is a K? And yes, it's a smart EQ

Ah, okay - didn't know they dropped WDD, WDB ... the GLK had an American VIN (WDCGG8JB3), and A200 is WDB ... and nearly 15 yrs old ha-ha.
So which plant is a K? And yes, it's a smart EQ

I think it's France. I'm certain that fortwo is made in Hambach, France and forfour in Novo Mesto, Slovenia

Correct.

The first 3 characters on the VIN signify the manufacturer and the country, not the manufacturing plant or the country where the plant is located.

E.g. WDC (W for Germany, then Daimler Chrysler), WDB (W for Germany, then Daimler Benz), WDD and WMX.

WA1 is Audi.

The 11th character signifies the specific plant, e.g. R is the East London plant in South Africa, A is Sindelfingen in Germany, etc.

Thanks chaps, all clear now.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom