Does your insurance cover pano roofs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Caeser

Car
E350d SE Premium
Hi All - I've just pushed the button on a E350d Premium, had to upgrade to the premium pack for the memory seats (I'm 6ft 8 & other half is 5ft 3 and we share the car daily!) but we also get a panoramic roof, which I personally don't like. Not least because of the headroom issue, but also does any insurer even cover a pano roof?

I'm really hoping someone knows because an initial search suggests not many insurers, if any, do cover them.

Thanks for your help.

If your car is insured, and that was part of the original spec of the car, then yes, if it was damaged in a crash, it will be covered.

- is that what you mean, or do you mean an extended warranty type insurance?

You should check with your insurance, however it will probably be covered as body damage in the event of a claim, rather than being covered as "glass".

If your car is insured, and that was part of the original spec of the car, then yes, if it was damaged in a crash, it will be covered.

- is that what you mean, or do you mean an extended warranty type insurance?

Basically concerned about getting stone chip/cracks etc The car will be contract hire and I suspect a pano roof repair/replace ain't gonna be cheap!

I have a pano roof and went around the houses regarding the small print of various 'premium' insurance polices.

The only insurance company I found that covered the pano roof for glass damage (doesn't affect NCB and is classed as a 'windscreen' claim) is Mercedes own insurance. - not cheap though!! Also for the windscreen itself, Mercedes own insurance fit original Mercedes parts, and you can take it to your dealer.

About £400 a year for me, compared to a price comparison site's cheapest known name insurer of about £150.

With the other more competitive insurers the small print mentions non-Mercedes garage, third party parts may be used or if the part is not in the UK, a third party part will be used and not flown in. Though in the case of the pano roof, that would most likely be a pano roof, but only if claimed as accident damage rather than glass cover.

The nearest I got to Mercedes own insurance was Saga, but that didn't include the pano roof as glass cover either.

Had the exact same dilemma with our new C350e. In the end, the gap between the cheapest big name I was willing to consider and Mercedes own cover wasn't that big in the grand scheme and as noted, gives you the comfort of OEM parts and a Mercedes repair should the worst happen. We own the car outright and will be keeping it a long time, all being well, so for the first few years at least, figured this was the best option.

I negotiated a modest discount and they also contribute up to £25 for cancellation fees with previous insurer so it helps a bit.

Ultimately, I hope never to have to claim of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom