Doesn't appeal to me, but might tempt someone to change their Merc?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1636796632364.jpeg I remember being taken to Hendesford racetrack as a kid and at 'half time ' watching a pair of nutters who had cut and welded the front halves of (I think) two Austin Morris' together so each driver had an engine , FWD drivetrain and a steering wheel each giving the thing 4 forward and 4 reverse gears and , errr 2 reverse forward gears and two separate braking/steering systems 😲. They used to spin around like mad things.

If it still exists it is unlikely to be worth £80K though.

Either someone on here will find footage/photo . Or It was another one of my dreams 🤔

View attachment 120785 I remember being taken to Hendesford racetrack as a kid and at 'half time ' watching a pair of nutters who had cut and welded the front halves of (I think) two Austin Morris' together so each driver had an engine , FWD drivetrain and a steering wheel each giving the thing 4 forward and 4 reverse gears and , errr 2 reverse forward gears and two separate braking/steering systems 😲. They used to spin around like mad things.

If it still exists it is unlikely to be worth £80K though.

Either someone on here will find footage/photo . Or It was another one of my dreams 🤔
Brings back memories. I went there a few times as a boy to watch a friends brother drive. Good times.

I seem to remember Citroen selling a very limited edition 2CV with an 1100cc 4 cylinder under the bonnet. A 2CV was used in a car chase sequence in the James Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only" & Citroen supplied one with said engine as the standard 600cc twin pot wasn't up to the job of keeping up with the pace in the scene. They then decided to sell a very limited number to coincide with the release of the film, I remember reading in my Dad's Autocar magazine at the time.

As an artefact I can see it reaching that estimated price but as a car it’s just ludicrous.

Have you driven a 2CV ? incredibly boring :(
Oh yes ! The 2CV were dire.

But then I thought that about The Beetle and The Mini as well.

I just find it curious that this exceptional 2CV Safari seems to be about to make more than a Citroen DS Safari or a Citroen SM.

Last edited:
Oh yes ! They were absolutely dire.

But then I thought that about The Beetle and The Mini as well.

I just find it’s curious that a Citoen 2CV Safari will make more than a Citroen DS Safari or a Citroen SM.
Back in the day I had a flatshare in Hammersmith and a job in Maidenhead. I also had an Alfasud.

My flatmate persuaded me to do a liftshare. The problem is that she had a 2CV.

I still remember the doors getting sucked out of their frames at anything over 50mph. And juggernaut wheels very close. Lots of juggernaut wheels.

It was a motorised POS totally devoid of any capabilities. Terrifyingly slow, noisy and dangerous.

Hated the thing.

But people liked them because they were "trendy" or something. I had another flatmate who like trendy and who owned a Beetle and then a Morris Minor. Together, they made a tragic trio of shitness.

And I'd had two Mini's so my bar was set pretty low.

Ah, but it's only money. I've just seen this Mini Moke sell this afternoon.

The original from "I am not a number, I am a free man."

And the number ? £62,000 (Don't rush to bid - that's the price it sold for - plus 15% fees but balloon not included)

Silverstone Auctions | 1965 'The Prisoner' Mini Moke

rec10819-1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day I had a flatshare in Hammersmith and a job in Maidenhead. I also had an Alfasud.

My flatmate persuaded me to do a liftshare. The problem is that she had a 2CV.

I still remember the doors getting sucked out of their frames at anything over 50mph. And juggernaut wheels very close. Lots of juggernaut wheels.

It was a motorised POS totally devoid of any capabilities. Terrifyingly slow, noisy and dangerous.

Hated the thing.

But people liked them because they were "trendy" or something. I had another flatmate who like trendy and who owned a Beetle and then a Morris Minor. Together, they made a tragic trio of shitness.

And I'd had two Mini's so my bar was set pretty low.
2CVs were deemed 'green' back in the day. I had an Alfasud too, very underrated charismatic cars ...when they weren't dissolving into a pile of rust ;)👍

Attachments

• 141915870_1111857905927585_2833564519695509730_n.jpg
    141915870_1111857905927585_2833564519695509730_n.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 6
£80k? Absurd. But seen a couple of ordinary 2CVs at auction recently and surprised what they made, even in poor condition.

Each to his own............... the 2CV was actually invented before WW2 but due to the War it was not produced until 1948(the prototypes were hidden in barns etc to protect them from the Germans). The design ethos was for a farmer to be able to transport a sheep, a barrel of beer & a box of eggs across a ploughed field without the eggs getting broken. Many of the design features were very avantgarde for the time. Every panel just unbolts & they were incredibly simple to run & maintain in Post War Europe. They were so popular that initially they were only sold to Doctors/Farmers etc & there was an enormous waiting list for up to 10 years( the list not the length of time) after it was 1st introduced. You either like them or loathe them as many on here appear to but I know where I stand. My 1959 is well made, is still running well after 62 years & I have no doubt will be in 50 years(if there is still petrol)& is revered & loved in France. How many of our modern Mercedes will still be on the roads in 20 years time? The 2CV in question is the Holy Grail(other than a prototype)for fans of them. It actually is 4 wheel drive & has 2 engines, even if you don't like them it is an interesting vehicle in it's own right. Give me the choice of driving any Mercedes or a 2CV & I know what I would choose but as you said............. each to his own.

Last edited:
£80k? Absurd. But seen a couple of ordinary 2CVs at auction recently and surprised what they made, even in poor condition.
Absurd to you maybe but not to the person who buys it for the 6 figures it will probably go for. Many of the members on here have paid more for their cars than my 2 houses & 1 1/2 acres of land in France. We are all individuals & live & do as we wish in life. If somebody wishes to spend £80K on a car of any make then that's fine by me but you wont hear me saying they're XYZ.

2CVs were deemed 'green' back in the day. I had an Alfasud too, very underrated charismatic cars ...when they weren't dissolving into a pile of rust ;)👍
I had a red 1.5 SC just like that. Preceeded by a Sprint and followed by a 33 Green Cloverleaf.

Tons of my mates has them too. At least another 10 of them.

Absurd to you maybe but not to the person who buys it for the 6 figures it will probably go for. Many of the members on here have paid more for their cars than my 2 houses & 1 1/2 acres of land in France. We are all individuals & live & do as we wish in life. If somebody wishes to spend £80K on a car of any make then that's fine by me but you wont hear me saying they're XYZ.

To me it seems absurd. But it wasn't meant to be a disparaging comment. If someone thinks it's worth that much and has the money, good luck to them 👍

It's just a matter of taste. Very subjective. That's not to my taste so it seems absurd you get "so little" for your money. But I'm glad not everyone's taste is like mine.

Vive la difference, oui?

I had a red 1.5 SC just like that. Preceeded by a Sprint and followed by a 33 Green Cloverleaf.

Tons of my mates has them too. At least another 10 of them.
I had one of the very last Sprint 1712 Cloverleaf’s then a 33 P4. The Sprint was the most fun car I’ve owned without question. My friend had a lovely Sud Cloverleaf and wrote it off within 4 days! And he lost my Vitaloni Californian wing mirrors I’d leant him in the process!

To me it seems absurd. But it wasn't meant to be a disparaging comment. If someone thinks it's worth that much and has the money, good luck to them 👍

It's just a matter of taste. Very subjective. That's not to my taste so it seems absurd you get "so little" for your money. But I'm glad not everyone's taste is like mine.

Vive la difference, oui?
Yes, it is many things in life though. Do we drive a BMW or an Audi, live in X, IPhone or Samsung, the list is endless. There will be another Forum somewhere where they are talking excitedly about the Sahara. Just to say a car is shit because they were driven in one in the 1970's is of course their right, but put them in Post War Europe(which the car was designed for) & give them the choice of walking 5 miles to work or taking your sheep to market on foot & then walking home afterwards & they might have a different attitude to it. Even in the 1970's the design was over 30 years old. Production stopped in 1986 after 3.8million were produced & the basic design was virtually unaltered thoughout that entire time. Many people bought them because they were cheap to buy & run. I actually drove mine over to France, I left Pinner at 3.30am in the morning & drove straight across London onto the M2. The 500 miles took me 18 1/2hours actual driving & I had to stop halfway but for me it was better than a trackday etc.

Just to say a car is shit because they were driven in one in the 1970's is of course their right., but them in Post War Europe(which the car was designed for) & give them the choice of walking 5 miles to work or taking your sheep to market on foot & then walking home afterwards & they might have a different attitude to it. Even in the 1970's the design was over 30 years old
Just to be clear, I never said anything about them being shit. I just think £80k is an awful lot of money for a 2CV. That's the absurdity to me; that such a cheap, basic car even in the day fetches so much now.
I love cars of many types and ages. I've just been out in my 40 year old land rover doing things my 7 year old Mercedes could only dream of. So I love sh1t cars too 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom