Doesn't ESP work backwards too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Birdman

Car
E55 & Phaeton
This is the rear-drive W210 saloon. Turning right out of a steep downhill driveway (with gateposts) and parked vehicles on both sides of the narrow road it was impossible to take the turn with available lock. So I backed up a little to take a second 'bite' on the steering. And dammit if the N/S rear tyre didn't spin up as it sat against the lip of the dropped kerb when I tried to reverse. Even with front wheels pointing straight ahead that b****y nearside wheel wouldn't climb the one fat inch of kerb. The O/S wheel just sat quietly on the pavement, knitting. So, my question is, doesn't ESP normally deliver torque to a stationery rear wheel when reversing, or is there something I'm missing here?

My rear tyres tend to slip when I reverse sharply. Proving that it only limits power rather than balance it. One a grassy knoll it can have sad to pathetic traction with the ESP going frantic.

You can pretty much forget about reversing on wet surfaces. All the ESP will do is put braking force on the spinning wheel.

Real sports cars have LSDs. I don't think there have ever been many MBs that have.

That's true. My Lotus has LSD and NO traction control, ESP, etc. Now that put's hairs on your chest ;)

LSD is an option available on practically all MBs since day 1. I had a look at the 20-odd pages of rear diffs for the W202 and several claimed to have mechanical limited slip! :)

Shude said:
LSD is an option available on practically all MBs since day 1. I had a look at the 20-odd pages of rear diffs for the W202 and several claimed to have mechanical limited slip! :)

I bet not for EU/UK markets.

My old 190E 16v had a LSD :cool:

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom