Dog Health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
Apologies to those that have no interest, please treat this as just another one of those nuisance threads.

Very, very tenuously to do with cars, as pooches often travel in 'em.
But there has been some interest here in hound ownership of late, and we have been actively looking for an additional to our family.

Things have changed since we bought our Pyrenean pup in 1982, some good, but not all.

It's a minefield, I'm already well aware of unscrupulous puppy farming, bitches that are bred at an unhealthy rate for instance.

The international trade is questionable. I've seen 1st hand a Caucasian driven to the UK from Russia (although that can never be confirmed as with much of a breeders information). Out of a cage on arrival, it's legs and muscles had suffered. There was a slow recovery due to hydro therapy, but the animal was a phycological mess up.

I imagine that here there is a good pool of knowledge to help me and those that might consider this.

Worming, does this come with evidence?

Vaccinations, what and when, and what evidence should accompany?

Pedigree evidence / history (if that's important to whoever)?

Kennel Club registration, for a show dog is this essential (I think I know)?

Breeder suitability / qualification. The relevance here is not to encourage the bad ones.

Hip displasier scores (what do they mean), I've seen those expressed as 6/9 and up to 106?

Training (different breeds seem to respond to different techniques).

The EU passport might be interesting to some, and the evidence required such as the chip, does that have a certificate / registration?

Why not rescue a dog from your local shelter? :)

Why not rescue a dog from your local shelter? :)
You have to jump through more hoops than a dog in training with them.

Some haven't even responded to my enquiries.
2 took over a week and rejected us as them not having anything suitable.

Now consider that I can spend most days at home with doggy, other days it can travel in the rear of a spacious Viano. We can give a run of spacious kitchen and large garden. Woofer shall be walked daily in the open countryside. I wish to train. I wonder where I / we are deficient.

But one of the plusses of them being (over) selective is that I haven't trodden in dog poo for years, I no longer see dogs roaming as their owners just let 'em out, and the police (locally at least) will take action against dogs not controlled.
The environment has improved over my years of non dog ownership.

A fair distance from Buxton, but let's see what the call from Battersea dogs home, between 13:00 and 16:30, brings tomorrow.
We have no issue travelling for a pooch, some centres require you to live on their doorstep and make several visits for familiarisation between yourselves and woofer, not so plausible for those at distance.

Some 'sellers' do and should appraise the potential homes, some just say give us this much.
I don't wish to encourage puppy farming practices, and as prices are flippin' high there looks to be an 'industry' boom.

Last edited:
Rescue dog every time , loads to choose from to fit all situations / requirements.

Worms are obvious (ours were) in their poo , he gets tabs every six months.

Vaccinations initially are followed by annual boosters (£70) , required for kennel stays + passports i would think.

In seven years our mongrel has only ever been to the vets for his annual MOT + service , i have a friend with pedigree GSD`s x 2 that has have all-sorts of expensive health issues and is a regular at his vets.

K

Rescue dog every time , loads to choose from to fit all situations / requirements.

Worms are obvious (ours were) in their poo , he gets tabs every six months.

Vaccinations initially are followed by annual boosters (£70) , required for kennel stays + passports i would think.

In seven years our mongrel has only ever been to the vets for his annual MOT + service , i have a friend with pedigree GSD`s x 2 that has have all-sorts of expensive health issues and is a regular at his vets.

K
Nice doggy,
looks like lot's of exercise required or frustration will result?

Nice doggy,
looks like lot's of exercise required or frustration will result?

He gets possibly 2h of walks per day , never gets off the lead as he would be off after anything that moves as his chase drive is firmly embedded into his DNA and hard to train out of them from a pup , impossible if they have been used as intended as he had when we got him at 3-5 year old.

This is him in his natural state.

20200130_180612[1] by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

K

chase drive is firmly embedded into his DNA and hard to train out
I really like the Deer Hound type, but discounted for that reason.

We gave daughters Caucasian opportunity for freedom, there wasn't far to go but she didn't know that, there was no interest.

Our Pyrenean saw sheep, over fences and gone. A farmer would have responded badly for fear they wouldn't lay eggs again.

I really like the Deer Hound type, but discounted for that reason.

We gave daughters Caucasian opportunity for freedom, there wasn't far to go but she didn't know that, there was no interest.

Our Pyrenean saw sheep, over fences and gone. A farmer would have responded badly for fear they wouldn't lay eggs again.
Erm im pretty confident that sheep dont lay eggs :D Or were you just having a moment?

We have homed 3 Bajan dogs. The folk down there arrange everything, paperwork, transport, jabs etc. No quarantine needed as Bim is rabies free. The whole process is trouble free. We flew 2 into Manchester and one in to Heathrow. They fly in airline approve travel crates with water. All they ask is that you cover the airline freight cost, which istr is about £800, cheaper than a designer dog.
The rescue kennels in Bim have also recently chartered 2 planes to fly about 3-400 dogs to be rehomed in Canada. Dumped dogs and puppies is a big problem in the millionaires playground.
Simon Cowell has adopted one of the pups we rescued when we lived there and is a big supporter of the rescue kennels in Bim.

He gets possibly 2h of walks per day , never gets off the lead as he would be off after anything that moves as his chase drive is firmly embedded into his DNA and hard to train out of them from a pup , impossible if they have been used as intended as he had when we got him at 3-5 year old.

This is him in his natural state.

20200130_180612[1] by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

K
Our 6kg Poochon gets at least two hours a day without a leash with my wife and her friends (they usually do a minimum of 10,000 steps).

Some of her friends that she walks with have lurcher / greyhound rescue dogs and they can never be off the leash (deer & hares in the fields) which is a real shame for a dog that is designed to run.

On the plus side, they do not need a lot of exercise.
Yea I agree but when I see the absolute joy our dog gets from being off the leash, doing flat out sprints, sniffing around on his own, rolling in poo o_O etc, I do feel sorry for any dogs that cannot have that fun.

Some of her friends that she walks with have lurcher / greyhound rescue dogs and they can never be off the leash (deer & hares in the fields) which is a real shame for a dog that is designed to run.

We used to take him to a local dog run , when he was younger , which was great for him . 30m of flat out running chasing a ball fairly tired him out , but he loved it.

IIRC it was £8 for the 30 mins which was somewhat of a bargain , however when it rained he looked more like a chocolate lab than a fawn lurcher thanks to the mud.

20180323_161414 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom