Dog lovers - please vote on these pictures!

Which picture do you like best?

• Picture 1

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Picture 2

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Picture 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Picture 4

Votes: 43 82.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I'm entering a photo competition on a dog agility website (there's no prize other than the pic. going on the home page). The theme is "dogs and water"; I can only enter one picture ... so which one do you like best? :)

Picture 1
dogsatBodensee.jpg

Picture 2

dogsatOrwell1.jpg

Picture 3

dogsatOrwell3.jpg

Picture 4

Ozpuppy.jpg

Hi Bill,
Have you any pictures where the dogs are actually engaged with the water?

The pictures are very nice but they appear to be more like ' Dogs by the water'

It looks like they enjoy having fun, so have you any pictures of them 'making a splash' or perhaps swimming and maybe having a tug-of-war with each other. :)

Good luck,
Regards
John

I voted 1 , composition is perfect even if the dogs aren't in action.

I'm with Howard. I think 4 is the more appropriate picture, but 1 is the best.

PJ

PS: Are you trying to monopolise the front page pictures of all the websites you visit? ;) :)

Pics won't load for me, even direct from P-b.

Edit.
Loaded now..

Number 4 by a mile - the one that had real impact as I looked through them; for me it captures everything about a dog and water - pleasure, abandon, speed, mess.... Doggy is a little out of focus (not surprising - although the shutter speed seemed to be quite fast, pooch looks like he was shifting a bit!), but the rest is spot on with good contrast:)

Yup technically no. 4 isn't fantastic, but I thought it was worth including.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

No. 4 for me.
Pictures 1,2 and 3 for me are just your everyday regular pictures you see.

Picture 4 has character for me, and you have managed to capture it in excellent focus.
Only thing I see is the right eye not being very visible.

Also you have beautiful dogs there, and they must be well trained.

No1 is a nice shot with decent depth into the water, but its cluttered in the lower left corner with debris and the bottom dog is looking out of frame.
Where possible subjects should be look/moving into the picture.

#4 has remarkable depth, vivid colour, action stopping shutter speed but the eye of the dog is almost central to the shot and the animal is clearly coming towards the viewer.
I would be tempted to experiment with a few crops of it though, I dont think moving the relative position of the eye would impact the shot too much - but the crop tool is my favourite for finding pictures within pictures.

Can you sharpen it a little if its slightly OOF ?

All pictures are subjective and it is obviously and individual decision - the above just gives some of my reasoning as to why I like it.

I'm entering a photo competition on a dog agility website (there's no prize other than the pic. going on the home page). The theme is "dogs and water"; I can only enter one picture ... so which one do you like best? :)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3
dogsatOrwell3.jpg

Picture 4

Is this Tay bridge?

Couple of swimming shots for Glojo (this was a few weeks ago at the Bodensee in south Germany ... the first time my youngster Oz has actually swum)

Ozswimming2.jpg

Ozswimming.jpg

I like this picture of him but didn't think it was relevant enough for the competition

Ozonthebeach.jpg

This is all 5 of them on the same walk as above (that's the Orwell bridge, near Ipswich)

alldogsbyOrwell.jpg

And this is Oz and Maisie in Germany

MaisieandOz.jpg

Is this Tay bridge?

This is all 5 of them on the same walk as above (that's the Orwell bridge, near Ipswich)

I though you'd know as I thought you were based in East Anglia. However I can see the similarity in view and its like looking over to the St Andrews area from Dundee(ish)

I would be tempted to experiment with a few crops of it though, I dont think moving the relative position of the eye would impact the shot too much - but the crop tool is my favourite for finding pictures within pictures.

It's already cropped quite heavily, so I could easily change the composition a bit. It's also sharpened ... to about the limit, I thought?!

Your expert feedback is much appreciated.

For me one has a real charm, but it has to be four.

This is my day job!

Right, I understand why people are going for number 4, it has character. BUT this is for a homepage...it needs composition. The form of the dog is lost in number 4. Number 1 shows two very healthy dogs and the composition is superb.

I did however think the one of Oz swimming with the stick has a nicer shape with character and movement too..closer crop would make that a great alternative.

#4 has remarkable depth, vivid colour, action stopping shutter speed but the eye of the dog is almost central to the shot and the animal is clearly coming towards the viewer.

Any better?

Ozpuppy2.jpg

The dawg looks a bit wild eyed and hence a bit nuts because it's not looking into the camera ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom