Doggi shoes

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
have you tried withholding the water to see if there any problems doing that.
We wouldn’t want to restrict her water, I think that’d be a little cruel. If she’s thirsty then she needs water, don’t think she’s drinking that amount just to pass the time.

Confirmation today that our Poppy does indeed have Cushing’s Syndrome. We’ve received a prescription and she’s had her first tablet. Vet said she should start showing signs of improvement within 4-6 weeks.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. Much appreciated. 👍
👏👏👏👏

Glad to hear you've found a cause.

In cats, in my experience and as said, usually means kidneys are on the way out although that usually seems to include more chucking.

Confirmation today that our Poppy does indeed have Cushing’s Syndrome. We’ve received a prescription and she’s had her first tablet. Vet said she should start showing signs of improvement within 4-6 weeks.
Brilliant news 👍👍👍

Thats good to hear you have an answer. My point earlier re cushings testing was not against you but the vets that had not checked that. I wrongly assumed with all the other tests that had been done an obvious one like this would have been done hence my tentative suggestion of withholding water as if it had been psychogenic it would not have been cruel but a possible test. Anyway at least she is getting the treatment now required.

During the last few months our 12 year old whippet’s water intake has gone up to over 3 1/2 litres a day (more than double the usual amount for a dog of her size). She drinks for minutes at a time and is going out 3/4/5/6 times during the night for a pee.

We’ve had her to the vets for X-rays, scans and blood tests. She had her spleen removed 3 weeks ago because there was a large tumour attached to it. The lump was sent away for a biopsy and results came back inconclusive 🤷‍♂️

Since the op her water intake has actually increased so it seems the tumour was not related to the water intake. A piece of luck we took her in the first place 🙏

She has been tested for everything they can think of but still no diagnosis.

Posting this in the hope that someone has experienced similar with their pooch and can offer advice.

Her food intake has remained consistent. However, she’s not her usual happy self. ☹️

TIA guys n girls. 👍
'Everything they can think off' but not cushings ? Again not a dig at you just feel the vets should have considered it a long time ago given all the other test/exams/xrays etc

Last edited:
We’ve just said goodbye to Poppy. She’d been getting gradually worse these last few weeks. I think it was right to let her go. Wasn’t eating. Didn’t want to go for a walk. Panting heavily. The Vet says she had an enlarged Liver and lymph nodes. Suspected undetected cancer. Poor wee thing.

Vet came to the house. Horrid experience. To authorise such an action feels so guilty. It’s always in the back of your mind that there’s a very small chance she could have improved. But last night was upsetting she was in a bad way.

I feel so sorry for our daughter. She’s grown up with Poppy.

Feel sorry for Mrs Ant. Her and poppy been together 24/7 for 12 years.

I now totally understand what it feels like. 😑
5CDC0147-DC69-4188-870D-31AF1ACAC894.jpeg

Please accept my condolences.
You’ve nothing to feel guilty about, sometimes making that tough decision is the only and best thing you can do.

Absolutely gutted for you all.

I know how hard it is when you have to make that decision as I had to do it to my best friend of 17 1/2 years.

Given time you will realise that it was the most humane, and least selfish, thing you could do to ensure his time with you was the best you could make it.

All the good memories will soon come back to make you all smile.

So sorry to hear that.
Pets, especially dogs play such an important part in families’ - especially children’s lives.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It may sound a bit callous, but in my experience (I've had lots of dogs), the best thing to ease the pain is to get another dog. It doesn't mean that you loved Poppy any the less, just that it was so good to have her around that you really, really want another dog as part of your life.

Thankfully I have only ever had to make that decision once with a much loved cat that I saved as a very small kitten from a parcel dumped in a east london street,fed with a eye dropper he was with me for 14 years and had cancer ,I was there when the vet let him go,I know just how you feel.

Our thoughts are with you and your family Ant

You gave Poppy the best life she could live.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It may sound a bit callous, but in my experience (I've had lots of dogs), the best thing to ease the pain is to get another dog. It doesn't mean that you loved Poppy any the less, just that it was so good to have her around that you really, really want another dog as part of your life.
I totally agree mate. Essential from my POV that we get another dog ASAP for Mrs Ants sake. Poppy was the only reason She went out in her scooter twice daily. Without a dog to walk I fear she will hide away in the house. And obviously being home alone every day she will miss the companionship greatly.

Strange morning. We’re usually out and about on our walk by now.

Cheers for all your best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Gutted for you and your family.

Whilst being Superdad and husband don't forget about yourself

With bof on this. You can never replace a dog but you can always welcome a new member to your family !

Sorry to hear it came to that Ant.
You've done the right thing though difficult thing - commendable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom