Dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Right chaps. It seems the resolve of Mrs dog-not-liking Jonnyboy is weakening so clearly I need to take advantage. It is already 3.5 vs 1.5 in the house so I am on the up etc.
We already have two cats who live in the garage and are quite placid. We are under no illusions about the hard work/costs etc. Had a dog when younger and did the lions share of the work etc.
For me, i love the likes of Huskies (love them to bits), border collies, some of the spaniels, german shepherds and the likes.
Being a landscaper I suspect the wee fella will come with me to work, lying in the shade/running about near the van and the likes.
I need some guidance and if I am honest, from a moral perspective I would much prefer to take a rescue dog as i think it is the right thing to do. Sadly, it looks like about 90% of the rescue dogs are Staffys and the likes (which is very, very worrying, especially as in a lot of cases they are advertised as "owner homeless/gone away" - am I being stereotypical?? lol.

Look forward to constructive comments chaps. As an fyi we live half a mile up a private lane with a private park at the end, not far from the town centre, have a decnt garden, I think we would class the area as semi-rural.

I would much prefer to take a rescue dog as i think it is the right thing to do. Sadly, it looks like about 90% of the rescue dogs are Staffys and the likes (which is very, very worrying, especially as in a lot of cases they are advertised as "owner homeless/gone away" - am I being stereotypical?? lol.

Hello Jonny,

We've always had rescue dogs and have found them easily - if you feel you should have one then have a good look around.

Goodness knows, there are enough lovely dogs living on borrowed time without lining the pockets of the dog factories.

There are breed specific rescue centres around, though you may have to travel further afield.

Hi John

We have just got a dog
The wife wanted a chocolate Lab
I wanted a springer. We looked into what the dog needs from it's owner and the environment we live in
The wife won and I got a lab

So I would say look at what you can offer a dog and get the type that fits the bill

Steve

Wee fella will come with you? Does that rule out the bigger stuff. If some customers do not like dogs he will have to stay home. Maybe you could build a "run" for him in the your garden.
Red Setters are placid enough. We had one and he was the most laid back dog ever. Come home from work and you would swear blind he had been smoking whacky backie whilst you were out. Just laid in the same place where you left him.

Big stuff certainly not ruled out, love golden retrievers/labs/huskies etc. Clients not an issue as those who aren't keen will see him/her remain in the van ;)
On a personal note, I am not a big fan of the "wet dog" smell so that is a consideration. Then again, he/she may not like the "wet jonnyboy" smell in the winter either !!!!

Really, I thought they were a proper thoroughbred pedigree dog? Amazing....
What are they like with kids/cats?

I've got a Border Collie. Easy to train, very obedient, great with kids no trouble at all in the house and keeps you fit. Kids will love one

Border Terrier. Feisty and full of character but loyal and reasonably biddable. Hairs not a great problem.

Really, I thought they were a proper thoroughbred pedigree dog? Amazing....
What are they like with kids/cats?

Probably scared of the cats!! No problem with children of any age.

Irish Setter Rescue

Edit.
Get a second opinion of how Setters interact with children John. Just noticed one of the dogs for rehoming above was not happy with children. It does not say the dog attacked them, just said the dog was not happy with children. Never heard of that before but worth checking out.

Last edited:
I have two Siberian Huskys. Great with kids, don't pong when wet and great fun. They need a lot of fenced in space and can (and will) jump 6th fences. Outside they must be kept on the lead.

Husky rescue are always looking for owners.

I used to help my mother who was a volunteer at the RSPCA and most of the rehoming was for Staffy type dogs and working dogs like Border Collie's, Spaniel's etc. they can be great provided they're kept busy and well exercised, otherwise they carry a greater risk of being restless and destructive, Collie's also have a reputation for biting and being quite vocal if left alone.
We've always had rescue dogs and currently have a Patterdale/Jack Russell cross who is fantastic with kids, other dogs and loves to sit on your lap like a cat, the other is a whippet/collie cross who's great with kids but hates other dogs except the PatterJack.
I'd go along to a shelter with an open mind and see which dog you bond with best rather than thinking about a specific breed, most shelters will let you walk a dog to see how you get on. Good luck.

We have two dogs at present, both from pedigree breeders.

Cocker Spaniel - Most wonderful daft dog you could possibly own, great natured, great with kids. Ours is a Blue Roan, he's 5 years old.

Golden Doodle - (Golden retriever(mum) standard poodle (dad) hybrid). He may be a hybrid, but he's not slow and not particualrly economical either.

What he is, is bonkers, large and the most loveable gangly dog you've ever seen.

We have had rescue dogs, if it comes from a recognised resuce centre understand you never completely "own" the dog. You are adopting it and are responsible for it but ownership remains in the name of the registered charitable trust from where you rescued it.

Milo5months.jpg

Dave080810.jpg

We are on our third border collie, previous two both made 16 years plus. They are smart but I can still usually get her with fools mate when we play chess so not that smart.
Two of the three were rescue dogs but go for a bitch, the males can be a bit of a handful. Collies need human company so not a dog for leaving alone for long periods (even if I leave the computer on for her to use) She is on her second pet passport as she has been all over europe so many times she used up the spaces in the first one. The passport even has a space for a photo but I could never get her to stop smiling and that's not allowed on a passport photo.
Seriously though they are great dogs but bear in mind the more you exercise them the fitter they become and the more you have to exercise them. Fiercely loyal, very affectionate and very intelligent, this is a breed that most owners find spoil them for any other dog.

Suppose I could take these two to work with me. Very briefly....

IMG_1148-1.jpg

Pepper & Salt one is only 5 months old and full of energy. So she is a big, bouncy, barky puppy and got to say I had forgotten what hard work young dogs can be, especially young Giant Schnauzers who need a lot of training.

(I was awoken this morning by her hurtling into our bedroom, launching herself onto the bed whereupon I was trampled and licked awake. Gerrrofff...)

I've had poodles for some time. And they are lovely faithful dogs that LOVE to play. When my kids were small they used to dress Rupert in girls clothes and push him around in a pram. He loved the attention.
Here's a pic of our current one, Marge just after I told her to go to bed.

Last edited:
Never Forget that Cats have Staff & Dogs have Owners.

An Oldie but....

A Dog's Diary :

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!
10:40 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favourite thing!
7:30 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing

Whereas a Cat's Diary :

Day 972 of my captivity.
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Evil People!!

Day 973 of my captivity.
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Day 974 of my captivity.
Two workmen came to the house today. As they rested after strengthening the interior of my confines, I sat on one, gently hooking my claws into their clothing. My plan was to cling on until they left, thus escape with them under the cover of their departure. The other workman went outside first and came back smelling strangely after something called a "cigarette". Curses! I'd picked the wrong one! I heard they are coming back again in another week. I will repeat my escape attempt then.

Day 975 of my captivity.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now......

A Dog's Diary :

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!
10:40 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favourite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favourite thing!
7:30 pm - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favourite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing

How true! :)

Jonny try this link.

Pedigree UK | Dog and Puppy Finder

I have a lab who thinks he's a lap dog which at 38KGs he certainly isn't. He was a handful when young and SWMBO who hadn't owned a dog before really struggled with him when I was at work. Until the day he snapped at her whilst a yard broom was close to hand, he became very placid after that day for some reason. If you get a bitch just remember they can leave brown patches on lawns where they pee, which might not be so good in your line of work, the upside is they don't tend to wander as much as males do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom